on

hough

ven

last

room

wife

lbs

d do > >> >> > to help.

anthropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

times, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurric anes with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

and the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much mo ney out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate chan ge is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

e Republican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particula r mystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

se in warming increases the "destructiveness" of these hurricanes by 15%.

No. The fraud was all in the denialist camp, who were willing to slander Ma nn in the hope of discrediting his data - which didn't actually work, since his work has been replicated some dozen times now on a range of temperatur e proxies.

n intensity and, most definitely, the frequency of storms is obviously incr easing. No one is saying anything about powerful hurricanes coming off the Gulf being a brand new phenomenon.

We do seem to be getting more intense hurricanes. It's probably a bit early to make any claims about more frequent hurricanes - there have been years in the past where there were a lot of hurricanes.

The hurricanes have been providing the disasters and deaths. Ignoring them would be a trifle unrealistic.

In fact there's one thing we can all do to change the climate, and that's t o encourage society as whole to burn less fossil carbon. This involves movi ng the electricity generating system towards getting most of it's power fro m wind and solar, adding short term storage to the grid to deal with the fa ct that the sun sets every day, and wind is erratic, and bumping up the gen erating capaciuty by about 30% so that when we have all moved to electric c ars, the grid will have the capacity to recharge them.

Someone probably told George Washington that US independence was an unreal istic target, and he shouoldn't waste his time thinking about it.

As if anything electronic John Larkin has posted here has looked "designed" .

He may be a master of improvisation, but he's weak on extracting design fun damentals and even weaker on acting on them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The critters that live in the Gulf will eat anything; they love oil. They have been gobbling up natural seeps for millions of years. Makes the oysters even better.

How do you get around? Walk and bicycle everywhere? Do you have heat or a/c at home?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

te:

ater, I finally

ack online.

o laid the

door because of

n, some water

to put buckets

f panels so all

were even worse.

e last 18 years,

m and then deck

left, even part

se, my wife was

00 lbs one night

tor to keep the

least 600 lbs

er that locked

we could do to help.

tes the anthropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Cent igrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

in past times, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurricanes with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be .

blican, and the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic clima te change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

own the Republican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no pa rticular mystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

ple like him. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate chang e is killing off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regular bas is.

imp fishery.

ia,

at

ruption in that cesspool region.

Gulf waters.

Not strictly true. Only specific oil-eating bacteria can manage that trick.

There aren't many of them around unless there's been a recent oil spill, an d it takes awhile before the population can grow to exploit the new resourc e.

Once the bacteria have eaten the oil, other creatures can eat them. It does n't happen overnight, and the oil spill will damage most of the critters th at live in the gulf until the bacteria have cleaned up most of it, so there will be fewer of them to eat up the oil-eating bacteria.

Part of the denialist mantra is that anybody who is a "sincere" believer in anthropogenic global warming should go in for quixotic and trivial gesture s that minimise the amount of CO2 they are personally responsible for injec ting into the atmosphere.

It would be a total waste of time - I worked out that my personal contribut ion to anthropogenic global warming advances climate armageddon by 5msec - and the denialist plan is to try to shame people into devoting their time t o tiny direct efforts to minimise global warming so that they don't have as much time to devote to the political efforts that might lead to effective society-wide action which would - incidentally reduce the incomes of the pe ople who pay for denialist propaganda out of the large incomes they make fr om digging up fossil carbon and selling it to be burnt as fuel.

John Larkin doesn't seem be one of those, so he's just one of the gullible suckers taht they are exploiting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

[...]

What's totally crazy is NY banning NG fracking. For the foreseeable future we are going to be burning hydrocarbons, you'd think we could agree that NG (natural gas) is the best. carbon-wise. And if we have it here at home (in state)... so much the better.

George H. (who lives atop the Marcellus shale, but it's two miles down around here... too spendy now.)

Reply to
George Herold

u are in a place named Wilma. If you had any communication skills at all, y ou would have said "We lost power for 3 weeks during Wilma"- but language m eans nothing to you because no one pays any attention to anything you say a nyway.

If you are going to critizise what people post, you should try to write bet ter yourself.

Maybe say " We lost power during Wilma and it was not restored for 3 weeks. " Wilma did not last 3 weeks.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

:

rote:

water, I finally

back online.

lso laid the

e door because of

in, some water

d to put buckets

oof panels so all

as were even worse.

the last 18 years,

oom and then deck

re left, even part

ouse, my wife was

4700 lbs one night

rator to keep the

t least 600 lbs

ater that locked

g we could do to help.

butes the anthropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warmi ng we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Ce ntigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

s in past times, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurricanes with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

publican, and the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much to o much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic cli mate change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

ss own the Republican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular mystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

eople like him. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate cha nge is killing off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regular b asis.

hrimp fishery.

rnia,

fat

orruption in that cesspool region.

se Gulf waters.

The argument against fracking is the water aquifer contamination issue. Not going to do you any good to reduce global warming when you turn into a mut ant.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

u are in a place named Wilma. If you had any communication skills at all, y ou would have said "We lost power for 3 weeks during Wilma"- but language m eans nothing to you because no one pays any attention to anything you say a nyway.

Actually asshole, we lost power for the 3 weeks following Wilma, but I'll c oncede the point.

Have you really nothing better to do with your time?

Reply to
mpm

:

te:

ng water, I finally

et back online.

also laid the

age door because of

ll in, some water

had to put buckets

roof panels so all

reas were even worse.

r the last 18 years,

room and then deck

ture left, even part

house, my wife was

t 4700 lbs one night

nerator to keep the

at least 600 lbs

water that locked

ing we could do to help.

ributes the anthropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade war ming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

as in past times, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same numbe r of hurricanes with the average intensity at a higher level than it used t o be.

Republican, and the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic c limate change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

less own the Republican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's n o particular mystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

people like him. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate c hange is killing off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regular basis.

shrimp fishery.

fornia,

em fat

corruption in that cesspool region.

hose Gulf waters.

ot going to do you any good to reduce global warming when you turn into a m utant.

Right so with fracking there will be some surface water/ stuff leakage, an also in ground leakage. I figure NYS should require drillers to monitor all that, deal with problems, and if there's some big accident, then there is some common insurance. At the end of the day the driller has to pay for all that, and if it still pays for them, then... "Drill baby, drill !"

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ot going to do you any good to reduce global warming when you turn into a m utant.

Not a strong argument. Fracking is only done where there is hydrocarbons a lready present. In other words there is already contamination. In additio n the NG is 10,000 feet down. I doubt if any water wells in New Yorkj are more than a 1000 feet deep. I think the ban is more to get votes from the ignorant.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

e:

nally

.

se of

ter

kets

o all

worse.

years,

deck

n part

e was

night

p the

lbs

cked

o to help.

thropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

mes, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurricane s with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

d the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

epublican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular m ystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

in warming increases the "destructiveness" of these hurricanes by 15%.

It is hard to understand how someone so well educated and seemingly knowled geable in science can so completely fail to understand basic statistics. Of course the likely explanation is that you choose to distort the truth to prove a point you have already decided is correct.

Here is some data for you... the worst storms in the US...

1935, 1962, 1969, 1992, 2005, 2017, 2018

Notice the clustering in recent dates? For in one century, then three more in the last 18 years. You could throw 1992 with the more recent storms an d show 3 in 60 years then 4 in the most recent 30 years. Yeah, that's the sort of analysis you might try doing rather than cherry picking your data.

Rick C.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

[...]

Amazing.... simply amazing...

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

:

[...]

Do you not understand the issues with extracting using fracking techniques? I don't know how serious they are, but I can certainly see why people woul d be concerned. The fracking frackers won't even say what potentially toxi c compounds they are injecting into the soil so the effects can be studied.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

te:

rote:

ning water, I finally

get back online.

h, also laid the

arage door because of

fell in, some water

e had to put buckets

r.

wo roof panels so all

areas were even worse.

for the last 18 years,

ft room and then deck

ucture left, even part

he house, my wife was

get 4700 lbs one night

generator to keep the

ut at least 600 lbs

of water that locked

thing we could do to help.

ntributes the anthropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade w arming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degre e Centigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

ty as in past times, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same num ber of hurricanes with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

e Republican, and the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make muc h too much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

r less own the Republican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular mystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

ss people like him. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate change is killing off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regul ar basis.

lf shrimp fishery.

lifornia,

them fat

he corruption in that cesspool region.

those Gulf waters.

.

es

Not going to do you any good to reduce global warming when you turn into a mutant.

Uh, the losses are potentially huge. I recall testing being done on underg round water in the mountains of Maryland or maybe Virginia and results were found in the wells of the eastern shore on the other side of the Chesapeak e Bay! The point is that is a big "IF".

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Not going to do you any good to reduce global warming when you turn into a mutant.

already present. In other words there is already contamination. In addit ion the NG is 10,000 feet down. I doubt if any water wells in New Yorkj ar e more than a 1000 feet deep. I think the ban is more to get votes from t he ignorant.

It worked for Trump!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I vote for the FOAD, Mike. He deserves nothing better.

I offer my prayers to you and your wife and family. I hope your situation improves soon.

Reply to
John S

Actually just changing "in" to "during" will make it work. As in "We lost power for 3 weeks during Wilma".

Reply to
John S

He just a troll.

Reply to
John S

you are in a place named Wilma. If you had any communication skills at all , you would have said "We lost power for 3 weeks during Wilma"- but languag e means nothing to you because no one pays any attention to anything you sa y anyway.

ll concede the point.

That's unfair and inaccurate. Fred Bloggs does know stuff, and the stuff he knows is pretty much correct, and he can back it up with links to plausibl e authorities.

He does see the world from a rather pessimistic point of view, but that's n ot what makes a troll.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Except that he doesn't.

Bummer is that you can't get decent gumbo or shrimp+grits in San Francisco unless you cook it yourself.

A fried oyster po-boy is a wild fantasy here.

I assume that Bloggsy never eats seafood. Or meat.

lunatic fringe electronics

He should be a grammar school English teacher.

We knew what you meant.

lunatic fringe electronics