I survived Michael

8 days without electricity, 5 with very little running water, I finally bought an AT&T cellphone to tether to my laptop to get back online. The wind blew away our carport and screened porch, also laid the garage wall over onto my truck. I can't open the garage door because of the damage. Garage ceiling drywall and insulation fell in, some water damage in other rooms but none fell in, although we had to put buckets under a ceiling fan and a hall light to catch water. My wife shed was crushed by a tree, mine lost two roof panels so all my tools and supplies got wet. We lost about 70% of the trees in the area, some areas were even worse. He had a boat in a marina, it was our business for the last 18 years, we sold shrimp from a pontoon boat, It had a 8 x 8ft room and then deck space for sales. It was totally demolished, no structure left, even part of the deck was ripped up. We had about 6500 lbs of shrimp in freezers at the house, my wife was able to contact a wholesaler that sent a truck to get 4700 lbs one night and two days later got another 1000 lbs, we had a generator to keep the freezers running after the storm. I had to throw out at least 600 lbs the was frozen in the freezers from 4 or 5 inches of water that locked them in. So we are officially retired. Enough for now, just wanted to check in, Mikek
amdx

Crap, Mike! We got next to nothing but I was laying in bed that night thinking about you. Glad *you're* OK! Any insurance?

Reply to
krw

Sorry to hear about all that. I wish there was something we could do to help.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

More fitting for a good ship to fall in battle than rust away forgotten somewhere. Give her a Viking funeral, if you can. ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

e.

,

help.

Burn less fossil carbon. More CO2 in the atmosphere contributes the anthrop ogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've had so f ar means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

You might hope for more hurricanes of the same intensity as in past times, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurricanes wit h the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

It's all much too complicated for Trump and the average Republican, and the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate change is ev entually going to trash many of their other assets).

Since that group includes the Koch brothers who more or less own the Republ ican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular myster y about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Damn. Good luck with all the repairs. I bet there are stray pets needing food too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sorry to hear that but is it really the end ? Slightly smaller scale for a bit, Keep that demand, and then just grow into your space like last time. You didn't spend the rent on freezers.

Anybody can hawk some shrimp, but you can make money on it because you have developed the connections and clientele. That's your asset.

Might almost want to rent a place for it, free up all that square footage in the house or whatever roof is over it, head for the high ground much as possible and a good size generator. Even solar. But burn that bridge when you come to it.

Connections to buy the shit and connections to sell the shit means it is a business. I would be damn reluctant to give it up.

Good luck whatever you do.

Reply to
jurb6006

We lost power for 3 weeks in Wilma (both at the house and 2-1/2 weeks at th e office).

Believe it or not, you can actually get really tired of cooking out every n ight on the BBQ grill every night! Plus, no air conditioning or hot water in South Florida... (Well, the water is a little warm.. this is South Flo rida)

Best of luck in your recovery efforts. I do feel for you! But at least you're in one piece.

BTW: I'm reading the industry press that Verizon is taking some heat for s low restoration efforts. Some of their backhaul infrastructure took a beat ing in the storm. (And since AT&T is a company I love to hate - long story - it's disheartening to me that they didn't have too much damage. Only 15

0 cell sites down at the peak of the outage. - I think all but 10 or 12 a re back up now?)
Reply to
mpm

the office).

night on the BBQ grill every night! Plus, no air conditioning or hot wate r in South Florida... (Well, the water is a little warm.. this is South F lorida)

slow restoration efforts. Some of their backhaul infrastructure took a be ating in the storm. (And since AT&T is a company I love to hate - long sto ry - it's disheartening to me that they didn't have too much damage. Only

150 cell sites down at the peak of the outage. - I think all but 10 or 12 are back up now?)

Wilma isn't in south Florida.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ly

of

ll

rse.

rs,

ck

art

as

ght

he

o help.

opogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade and ca n contribute to more intense hurricanes.

, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurricanes w ith the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

he people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much money ou t of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

blican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular myst ery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

Waste of time to even attempt to communicate with mindless people like him. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate change is killing off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regular basis. Florida i s a mismanaged abomination, and right now they're being hit with record tox ic algae blooms that are killing everything, this due to mismanaged agricul tural runoff. The whole state has been ruined, man's presence there is a p estilence, and nature will crush them.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

House insurance, no business insurance, I'm not sure how much of my electronic parts will be covered by my home ins. a lot of it was in the garage and drawers got opened when the wall tipped, and water damage. Mikek

amdx

Only the parts I can locate! :-)

amdx

We had started trying to sell the business in recent months, thought we would be done by early 2019. It just happened a little early without in sale money coming to us. :-( Mikek

amdx

:

ally

e of

er

ets

all

worse.

ears,

deck

part

was

night

the

bs

ked

to help.

hropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've had so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade and can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

es, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurricanes with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much money out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate change i s eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

publican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular my stery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

m. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate change is killin g off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regular basis.

Shrimps are crustaceans, not fish.

record toxic algae blooms that are killing everything, this due to mismana ged agricultural runoff. The whole state has been ruined, man's presence th ere is a pestilence, and nature will crush them.

They are peculiarly vulnerable to sea level rise, so submerge, rather than crush.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Verizon sucks. We had did a test with my wife's cellphone and put it on Republic wireless for $23.91 a month with a gig of data. We are not especially happy with the operation and went to Verizon to change back on Tuesday before the storm, but they were closed. My Verizon phone didn't work, her Republic Wireless phone never lost service. I'm glad Verizon wasn't open that day! Mikek

amdx

Oh dear, I'm sorry. Anything we can do? At least you and your wife are OK.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

inally

e.

use of

ater

ckets

so all

n worse.

years,

n deck

en part

fe was

e night

ep the

lbs

ocked

do to help.

nthropogenic global warming, and the one degree Centigrade warming we've ha d so far means that bigger areas of ocean get above 26 degree Centigrade an d can contribute to more intense hurricanes.

imes, but the modelling suggests that it's much the same number of hurrican es with the average intensity at a higher level than it used to be.

nd the people who dig up and sell the fossil carbon make much too much mone y out of the business to want to stop (even if anthropogenic climate change is eventually going to trash many of their other assets).

Republican Party (or at least the Tea Party faction) there's no particular mystery about why Republicans are so slow on the uptake.

him. The winds storm is the least of his troubles as climate change is kill ing off all the fish he's stealing from the ocean on a regular basis.

That has nothing to do with it. They are referred to as a Gulf shrimp fishe ry.

th record toxic algae blooms that are killing everything, this due to misma naged agricultural runoff. The whole state has been ruined, man's presence there is a pestilence, and nature will crush them.

n crush.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Pity that Florida doesn't have any big cliffs to jump off.

lunatic fringe electronics

The Gulf shrimp are the best. They are hard to get here in California, especially with the heads still on.

The Gulf oysters are the best, too. All those nutrients make them fat and happy.

lunatic fringe electronics

e:

nally

.

se of

ter

kets

o all

worse.

years,

deck

n part

e was

night

p the

lbs

cked

o to help.

[...]

It's Florida, so some industrious entrepreneur can build something cheap an d artificial, like most of their construction, for them to jump off of.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred