I need to purchase data logger

Thinking of the Agilent 34972A data logger. Anybody using this unit? Like it? Anybody using other unit worth commenting on?

regards, Bob N9NEO

Reply to
Yzordderrex

I like and use the 34970A. It's quite a bit cheaper as well if you don't need network and USB connectivity, especially if you're willing to buy used on Ebay.

Reply to
JW

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:02:28 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Yzordderrex wrote in :

If I had to log something I would use a Raspberry Pi with an AD or whatever on the GPIO. cannot beat the price.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ike it? Anybody using other unit worth commenting on?

Ok, thanks. I like the USB port and while I am conscience of the (bosses) m oney I spend on test gear, I think the other features are worth the added c ost. This unit will be used a lot and not sit on a shelf somewhere collect ing dust. I expect that I will need to buy a module to record 10 channels of temperature. If you could comment on that I would appreciate. I'm a bi t reluctant to have a sales person advise me on that and like to get the da ta from more than one source.

Reply to
Yzordderrex

I have no idea what you said.

Reply to
Yzordderrex

He said "build it yourself" (Using a Raspberry Pi single board computer. Just translating, not necessarily agreeing)

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
  return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:42:44 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Yzordderrex wrote in :

I can still do that with a Raspberry Pi to SDcard, to ethernet, or to WiFi with some small added electronics, as this is a design group that would be the way to go. Any idiot can buy anything or have it made. I would add my thermocouple interface with an USB to RS232 connector to the Raspi. or several, or design a 20 channel, WHAT temperature sensors seems a good question to ask too. I have a car thermometer you can record with a webcam, it all depends. Numbers I want numbers.

;-)

With a good webcam you can log a LOT of mechanical temperature sensors, EUREKA. In color too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Would a lab jack work for you?

Not the fastest, but if you don't need the speed, the maybe it's OK.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I heard about those from Joerg, and I'm a fan. I've bought a couple of the U6 Pros which work great. The Visual C++ bindings work painlessly as well--dunno about their proprietary software.

I'm in Jan's camp when it comes to software--command line and lots of it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup, I use them in their RS-232 previous incarnation. I haven't tried the usb version. But Joerg's recommendation is good enough for me.

Hmm that reminds me of a very basic C question. (I'll ask on SEB.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh, okay, it the bosses money. Understood. :) You'll err... he'll pay about $1K more.

34901A plug-in should work fine for that. I don't know if the DMM comes standard on the 34972A, but you'll need it to read the thermocouples. On the 34970A, option 001 is delete DMM module.
Reply to
JW