I need some help with 12v Gate Opener circuit

Hi All. I bought a radio remote system where the remote has an A and B button. It i s a momentary for both buttons on the key fob and the receiver box has two relays A and B.

Press Remote A and Relay A latches. Press Remote A again and Relay A un-latches.

Same for B button and B relay.

I want to use this as a gate opener using an old C-Band dish positioner tha t is rated for 2000-lbs max at 36vdc and 18" travel. I am using a 12v car b attery (solar panel charging) and a 18A Boost controller for the 36vdc and that part all works fine when I am holding wires to the battery.

The positioner has two cams inside for actuating two cherry limit switches that can be NO or NC (three tabs) at each end of the stroke. One cam/switch for fully out and one for fully closed.

I can set the thing up mechanically so that the gate is fully open or fully closed when each switch trips.

I am having trouble designing the wiring to use button A to open the gate t hen button B to close it. I do not want to have to press A to get it starte d then wait until it is fully open and then press A again to un-latch the A relay as I think the limit switch can do that.

But I am stuck with just where and how to open the 12v with the limit switc h so that it will still start up when button B is pressed to close the gate .

Could someone please help me out with a schematic on how to do this?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

p.s.

It's just me and a few hundred cows out in the fields. I have to wait for them to pass through the gate (in and out) to close it and I'm getting too old to stand outside for five to ten minutes while they amble through.

I will not be cutting babies in half with the gate. And, chasing the cows through with the dogs is not a nice thing to do, they like to move at their own speed and they should too.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

I would of thought the recevier to have a flip flop option ?

Anyway, if you can experiment a bit like interrupting power to the receiver to see how long it takes the reset and unlatch the current relay, it could give us an idea.

If you employ a 2 input AND type switch where both Relays being on would set this switch, to then interrupt power to the receiver.. This circuit would then die of course putting the switch back into the normally closed position and restarting the receiver, at which point you'll still be holding button B for example and it then will latch B relay, which you use for the close cycle etc..

if you don't want to get too technical about this, you can have two single pole double throw relays where you parallel a set of NC contacts from each relay, pass the power supply for the receiver through those paired contacts.

SO basically when Relay A is on it'll also turn on Power A which will put the contacts in the NO position, but relay B is still off so that set NC will keep power on. And when B is on also, then of course you no longer have power to the receiver and it'll reset.

If you can't share the use of relays A and B to operate these additional relays, you can use double pole relays instead, that way they can have a NC set of contacts to use for power and a set of contacts for the gate opener..

o- RX A -o--__ A RELAY GATE CONTROL _/ DPDT o- +----+o/ o- | | DPDT A o- | C| +o--__ | C| A RELAY | o+--+ | C| | | RELAY POWER | | | | GND |RX_PWR |RX_PWR | | o- | | -+--__ | | RX B B o+--+ | _/ +----+o/ o- DPDT o- | DPDT -o--__ B RELAY GATE CONTROL C| o- C| B RELAY C| | GND

RX power contacts power the RECEVIER! (NC) (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05

M Philbrook

It would be a hell of a lot easier to make a circuit that opens the gate when you push "A" once, and closes it when you push "A" again. You can use "B" to run a light, or whatever.

Can you stand having a relay sitting there closed?

I suppose that if the relays are DPDT you could hook them up like a three- way switch, and use the result to direct the gate. I'm not sure if it could be done entirely electromechanically, though.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

A common method uses a double pole double throw switch; throw it one way and power goes to the motor untill the limit switch at that end opens. Throw it the other way, electricity of the opposite polarity turns the motor untill the other limit switch turns it off. - 2 limit switches.

Hul

Dave, I can't do that wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

You could build a little shed to sit in, read a book or something.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

My garage door opener uses one button to open and close and it has two limit switches. If I press the button it will open and while opening if I press it again, the door will stop. Another press and it closes.

Closing does the same, press to close. Press again to stop, press again it opens.

The limit switches end the cycle.

It also has a safety IR beam that will prevent closing if the beam is broken. I think the DC motor runs on 36 volts.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Sno-o-o-ort >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

big snip

Thanks, google seems to have messed up the ASCII Art so I downloaded and tried the AACurcuit from that .de site but it did not straighten it out.

I will play with the text and see what I can piece together. I too thought it would be a flip-flop, but the spec sheet shows it as click-on-click-off and after a quick test with 12v that's what was happening.

I have found that the chip inside (I think a 2226 or something like that) comes in various types, Latching, Momentary or Toggle. This is the T-version but it is soldered to the board so not easily replaceable by me if I got a Monetary chip.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Tim, I am happy with anything that works. This is how the Tx and Rx parts came. The Rx in a nicely waterproof box by the way.

I have found a link to the thing (AGT) I have but I only have a single Tx but that's fine.

Dave, I can't do that

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 1:41:36 PM UTC-5, Dave, I can't do that wr ote:

is a momentary for both buttons on the key fob and the receiver box has tw o relays A and B.

hat is rated for 2000-lbs max at 36vdc and 18" travel. I am using a 12v car battery (solar panel charging) and a 18A Boost controller for the 36vdc an d that part all works fine when I am holding wires to the battery.

s that can be NO or NC (three tabs) at each end of the stroke. One cam/swit ch for fully out and one for fully closed.

ly closed when each switch trips.

then button B to close it. I do not want to have to press A to get it star ted then wait until it is fully open and then press A again to un-latch the A relay as I think the limit switch can do that.

tch so that it will still start up when button B is pressed to close the ga te.

Use the A control to turn the main 36VDC on/off, use B control to drive a D PDT throw relay in a circuit like this:

Throw in some bright indicator lights to let you know what's happening.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That would work if you could keep the 36V supply on all the time -- if so, let us know, and we're done.

I've got the logic worked out so that you only turn on the 36V supply when you need it, but I can't recommend any circuits.

Three signals in: A, "closed" and "open".

Three signals out: "ON", "direction", and "error"

direction = A

error = closed AND open

on = (NOT error)((A AND (NOT closed)) OR ((NOT A) AND (NOT open)))

You should be able to implement this in 4000-series gates at 12V if you're rabid about protecting them from voltage surges. You'd need to use the ON signal to enable the 36V supply, and the direction signal to enable a DPDT relay for direction switching. I'd wire the "error" signal to a honkin' big light so you know that Bad Things have happened.

Note that this circuit will default to driving the gate closed if power is interrupted and resumed. More functionality means more complication (which I'm too lazy to supply) or more cleverness (which I don't necessarily have -- I'm good at solving complicated problems with complicated solutions. If given a simple problem, I must first make it complicated so that I can solve it myself, or ask for help.)

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

a (latching) dpdt to set the motor voltage polarity, each NC limit switch parallel with a diode?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 1:36:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote: ht so you know that Bad Things have happened.

You obviously don't know much about cows. If that default of yours occurs while their coming into feed they'll just lean against that gate and break it like a toothpick.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Thanks FB, using the A button to power the system Makes good sense. I like simple solutions I knew this was the place to ask. :)

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I have the solution from Bloggs.Fred.

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that