I don't know how I happened onto this, but...

This is one of the most uplifting things I've ever seen or heard.

From the barely veiled derision of the audience and panel to the joy brought on by the heart-wrenching beauty of her performance, she transformed hate into love in about six words.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

Yep. She was making the rounds of the network TV morning shows this morning. She brought tears to my eyes! And now I'm blowing my nose as I listen to her again.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That was overdubbed by Marni Nixon.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

That made the evening news in Australia here the other night. Amazing, made everyone eat their laughter. There is another youtube version that shows some more backstage footage beforehand.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

She did it well, but there were a couple of places where she didn't quite express the emotion well enough to me, but I notice little details like that. Simon saw it as well, but he had to comment on the overall performance, which was astounding..

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I hate Le Miserable, well known to theatre fans as 3 hours of torture SWMBO drags you to. There is only one upbeat song in the whole thing.

But she totally nailed that. A few small gotchas, but that is the first time I ever enjoyed that song.

Steve

Reply to
osr

I didn't cry, my tears ducts are just undersize! Mike

Reply to
amdx

I sort of like "Les Misérables", but I prefer "Phantom", played at thundering volume ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

I have the one disk condensed version, never got around to the 4 disk set, although I checked out of the library once. Saw it twice.

Steve

Reply to
osr

On one of our wedding anniversaries I bought loge tickets, at Gammage, for "Phantom".

Marvelous!

(I have the whole CD set.)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I got the same reaction to Paul Potts the first time I heard him.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Quite well done for a non-pro. She should have been in Les Miz production I saw in London a couple weeks ago as she would have been a couple notches above what I saw. That production really fell short on tallent compared to what I have seen in the past.

Reply to
qrk

There was a similar event on "Britain's Got Talent" a year (?) or so back... Paul Potts.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Didn't think much of Les Mis (wife loves it though), but we did catch "Phantom" on Broadway. Fantastic! It almost made the 70mi. trip to the miserable hell-hole worthwhile.

Reply to
krw

Like Jim, my eyes are wet.

To you John, Thanks - I needed that.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

She ain't pretty, but she's got voice. .

Reply to
JosephKK

Her vibrato is pretty poor. Has no emotional depth or impact.

Kind of like the lack of emotion delivered by a guitarist that waited until he was 50 to learn to play trying to play like a lead guitarist that has been doing it for decades. One can tell the difference.

She belts it out, but there is a certain quality missing, and it has nothing to do with her appearance.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You're out of your mind. Les Mis has intellectual content, whereas Phantom is just emotion with a few chandeliers dropping here and there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm not much into whatever the thematic material/story-line is. I just go with the music... particularly fond of organ music that can be felt in the lungs ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I realized that I couldn't respond, because I have never heard Les Mis before! Just finished putting a hold on it at the library...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.