I can't figure out the proper name of something

I am looking for a light sensor like is used in a garage door system to detect if an object is between a light source and light sensor.

I need something to put in my back yard to detect if someone is breaking through a particular path. It is like a light activated trip sensor , used for home security awareness, but I cannot figure out what this device is called so I can find it online to purchase.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Background: Just had some people crawl through my back window a couple of weeks ago and steal some stuff with house full of people, nobody heard them. I want more situational awareness. I also have other more effective means now of dealing will them too.

Reply to
brent

Check these out. They require a reflector on the other side of the path to work.

lektric.dan

Floodlight/motion detector.

Rottweiler.

Reply to
krw

You might consider using PIR motion detectors, like the ones used in security systems.

John

beam break detector.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

Just buy a cheap driveway sensing light and tape over the light sensor that detects day light so that it works all the time.. wire something to the 120v circuit that also turns on the lights.

Reply to
Jamie

I like the training some dogs go through for that. lets them in and plays with them, but they'll never get out!

Reply to
Jamie

Radio Shack used to sell those lightbeam sensors. Just do not wire it to a shotgun, as if the burgler reamns alive, your net worth will become his and you will wind up in jail (and not him). And if he dies, his relatives become rich and you in jail.

Reply to
Robert Baer

From another newsgroup, sign on a hunting cabin:

Set guns are illegal So is trespassing I've made my choice Now you make yours

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I LIKE IT!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Thanks all for replies

Reply to
brent

[snip]

And a sign that says "Whet the dogs leave, we feed to the pigs".

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.