I am unable to access any newsgrop with my Earthlink account.

I am unable to access any newsgrop with my Earthlink account. It has been intermittent for days, but it has been down most of today. Any suggestions for a good paid news server?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

$5 a month, works great

Reply to
bitrex

It surprises me that earthlink lasted this long. Many ISP news servers went down the drain years ago.

is free but you must register to use it.
is a good commercial news server.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

If you want to pay then NiN seems to get most recommendations, but unless you post a lot or to contentious groups AIOE is free and reasonably reliable. BTW Most ISPs dropped USenet a decade ago.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

A couple of free accounts would be one approach. I use Supernews ($5/mo iirc) and eternal-september.org.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I like Newsguy, been using 'em for a few decades.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

GigaNews $4.95/month. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Expensive!!

I used to use Giganews. It was good, but now...

TheCube block purchase less than 5 bucks I've been using for more than 3 years and I have more than 90% of it left. It's been a good reliable service - you just have to email them when you set it up that you want to be able to post and that is not a hassle (most people use block account to download only)

--
The latest set of Shadow Broker tools shows the UK, USA, Canada,
Australian and New Zealand spy agencies were hacking into domestic home
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Eather

Seems I pay $7.99/Mo, and I think I have the most basic level. But, they are down/inaccessible no more than a couple hours/year, and I've never even come within a couple % of my limit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Their website states that plan only has 30 days retention. Is that just binaries, or everything?

Earthlink provides Giganews, through Earthlink's login. It has something over a decade for text messges.

It turns out that my broadband provider switched my account on me from Earthlink to Roadrunner without asking my permission, and Earthlink won't let me switch it back. Thanks a #$%^&*() lot, Spectrum!

Reply to
Michael Terrell

ISTR that Supernews and Giganews are the same outfit now. Supernews has SED back to 2003.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Google Groups goes much further back. It used to be DejaNews. I think it has some of the first posts to SED:

Steve Wilson

Google Groups is OK to look for archived messages, but they suck for daily use.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

Both still have their own websites. I decided to try that block account server.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

I thought you'd be using Forte Agent Premium News, $2.95/month.

Reply to
krw

I had problems with them. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I tried to set up with AIOE, but they say you don't need an account and my newsreader keeps asking me for login information.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

I don't recall doing anything special. I have even changed my login name and it didn't bat an eyelid. I used to use Teranews on the $5 forever deal for just text based newsgroups. It was comprehensive but it failed after about 7 years of reliable use so I gave up on it. I had AOIE as a fallback and it worked well enough so I never bothered to chase Tera.

Suggest you give it a nul password or guest and see what happens.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It sucks for archives too. A lot is missing that I know should be there. For example if I find a message that I know I replied to, my reply might not be there.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Meaning click the OK button, yes I tried that.

--
Rick C