Hysteria from the left...

They, like a lot of people, confused accents with intelligence, and stereotyped whole populations based on rumors.

I grew up in the Deep South. I went to one of the best high schools and one of the best universities in the USA, both in New Orleans. I designed flight hardware for the S1B moon rocket and the C5A Galaxy while I was still an undergrad.

People are leaving Pittsburg for Texas and Florida and Georgia for good reasons.

Read "Dispatches from Pluto"

The USA is beginning to recognize and respect the South. There's more to life than a Boiled New England Dinner and a lot of failed cities.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

even in 2016 when the KKK was endorsing Donald Trump?

Jasen Betts

Keep snorting.

Reply to
krw

Tulane is ranked 40th amongst US universities by US News

There are roughly 2000 of them so 40th is respectable

The Times ranks it at 71st in the US, and somewhere between 351st and 400th in the world

I've never heard of anything they've done (other than graduate John Larkin, who doesn't seem to have learned nearly enough when he was there).

Electronic competence was thin on the ground back then.

The same people who are recognisng and respecting Donald Trump?

There's hope for John Larkin yet.

Very likely. It's not going to take much sea level rise to make New Orleans a submerged city, so it's not a place to move to, as Katrina pointed up a few years ago.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No, of course, but it started that way. It was still that way only 50 years ago.

You know how the song goes..."Watergate doesn't bother me. Does your conscience bother you?"

Republican consciences aren't bothered because we never accepted their support.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Are you trying to communicate?

Jasen Betts

Another right-wing delusion. Krw has a liberal supply - no doubt he got them as a cheap job lot.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Almost like the politics of Southern Democrats in 1840 had little to do with anything the party represents 160 years later

Reply to
bitrex

The southern Democrats were the party of the Klan until more like

1960. They are still the party exploiting racial division, just with different tactics.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

This krw. Nothing could be further from his mind (if he has one).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

None of which "different tactics" John Larkin would be able to itemise or explain, not that he'd bother. He posts to look good, rather than to inform.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm not disputing the distant past. I'm questioning KRW's claims about the the present.

I've encountered that song countless times, but never noticd that lyric. but there it is right after they 'Boo' "The Governor": George Wallace, Democrat and Segregationist. (which I also hadn't noticed)

Donald Trump took a while to come to that decision.

Jasen Betts

But not to deride.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

His comments about climate change deride the climate scientists who have spent their working lives working out what is going on.

He's not quite a bad as Trump, who has written off a century of scientific effort as a Chinese hoax.

but John's enthusiasm for denialist web-sites doesn't exactly demonstrate good judgement.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not possible, with the illiterate.

Reply to
krw

Robert Byrd was around, and in power, some years (like 50) after the '60s.

Reply to
krw

Since krw has nothing to communicate, he's right. One wonders why he would bother putting up a text message on a text-only group if he really thought the intended recipient actually couldn't read.

Perhaps he is using "illiterate" in the semi-literate sense of "this person may be able to read, but clearly hasn't read any of the right (in this context far-right) books".

Second-guessing what krw might have though he meant is a waste of time, but it's probably useful to treat him with the contempt he deserves. Naive lurkers might take him seriously if we merely ignored him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Certainly useful to treat you with the contempt you deserve. All the regular readers of SED know not to take you seriously ,but there might be a new comer that might not have read many of your posts and think you could have something worthwhile to post.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Really?

Throughout the period that potato blight hit the country it's estimated that Ireland was exporting enough food to sustain a population of about

18 million. It actually exported more livestock (apart from pigs) and grain during the blight than in the preceding years. The profits from that trade predominantly went to English landowners, and then - just as it does now - money brings political power.

Westminster could have stopped the starvation in Ireland at any time if it had wished to do so.

It is a great disservice to the estimated 1 million Irish who perished at this time to blame a "famine". Genocide is a more appropriate term.

Reply to
JM

The Scots-Irish are overwhelmingly underrepresented in the slave-owning class.

This guy says there was more or less a continuation of The Enclosure in the frontier regions of the US.

After the Dmeocrats took a hard turn left, you had this:

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill