Hysteria from the left...

With an open mind, you can find something pleasing about most places and people.

Nonetheless, to someone from the UK (and at least one other person from Colorado), that policeman's illiteracy was surprising and didn't reflect favourably on the state of education there.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The South has always been ignorant. The Scotch-Irish didn't want to be literate, or to work hard. If they did they wouldn't have needed slaves.

It isn't Republican at all. Like John has said, they wouldn't even celebrate July 4th because they still wanted to be in the Confederacy.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

My most well-known great great grandfather settled in the Allegheny PA area in the mid 1850s from Ireland; he had the classic Irish name of James Stewart, of the line of one Mary Stuart, and married into the Miller family of PA

Reply to
bitrex

Pre-1960's, the "Solid South" was solid Democrat.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I hear the Democrats also started the KKK, long before even anyone here was born, too.

Reply to
bitrex

Or he didn't have his reading glasses handy. Nobody could pass the Police Academy tests if they couldn't read.

You're British, right? The people who starved Ireland, enslaved India, and bought slaves in Africa and shipped them to the Americas.

A small minority of the population had slaves. A good argument has been made that slavery kept most of the South poor, and made the textile moguls of the North rich.

The Scotch-Irish are all over the USA, not just in the south. The Irish tend to be builders and engineers, and good ones. The culture in Louisiana is more French and French-acadian than Scotch-Irish. The Cajun language is almost intelligibly French. New Orleans wasn't named New Dublin. St Charles Avenue and Esplanade and Elysian Fields and Bourbon are main streets.

You're right, there is a lot of ignorance going around.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Yes, some now-revered Democrat politicians were members.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

So if they were losing money owning slaves did they do it because it was fun? Like a hobby? Yikes, that's even worse!

Reply to
bitrex

The few slave owners were rich. Slavery made the bulk of the population poorer. Cheap labor tends to do that. Racism was a tool to disguise the real economics. The politicians running that show were all Democrats.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

It was the military arm of the party.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

And outlawed slavery and used their navy to stop the trade, and then sent diplomats to east Africa to persuade the Arabs to stop it too.

But I'm not English. I just grew up in the culture they defined. Southern culture was definitely not the same. Southerners had a Pellegra epidemic because they didn't even know how to feed themselves until the Federal government sent a doctor to tell them they can't live on corn bread and bacon fat. Of course the food in Louisiana is better but they still had that Confederate pride.

That's not the chain of causality. Their work ethic made them poor and required slaves. Otherwise those textile mills could have been in the south and the north wouln't have been involved in that industry. No mills, no factories that could make repeating rifles. They would have won the war if they had those.

But moreso in the south and more English in the north.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The US outlawed slavery too, after the British had deeply established it in their Colonies. It was so entrenched here that it took a civil war.

There's lots of blame to go around. And lots of ignorance.

Lots of seafood, poultry, fruit, veggies, a good diet overall. We were poor, so we ate fish and shrimp when we couldn't afford beef.

The people that I grew up with worked hard. So did/do I.

Like, this board layout I'm doing this weekend.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

From memory, as my colleague was handing his driving licence to the officer, the officer said "now don't you go foolin' me, boy". That puzzled my colleague, who couldn't figure out what he meant - until after he had driven away.

The way the story was told to me, illiteracy was the most likely option.

My understanding, from my parents who lived in Pittsburg in the 50s (until they found it too dangerous) was that the FBI were intelligent, the state police OK, and the local police were as thick as two short planks. And the further south you went the more pronounced the difference.

Conclusive? No. But there is a good circumstantial chain.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Robert Byrd...

Grand Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops

and most worthless piece-a-shit to ever gain control of WV... suppressed blacks at every turn... rewarded with numerous bridges and buildings named after him. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Too true :(

And too many people with too many different incentives to exploit both of those. :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

More crap. Did you know that 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

You really should shut up. Your stupid streak shows a mile wide.

Reply to
krw

Yes, an Christianity was started before most of us were born, too. So what? The fact is that the KKK was *always* an arm of the Democratic Party. Still is.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure you were told that, and believed it. LEfties do tend to believe (and do) what they're told.

Reply to
krw

The Irish potrato famine was the sort of thing that happens when you rely o n a single crop. The British might have been able to save more of the Irish from starvation than they did, but agricultural productivity wasn't high b ack then, and there weren't enough ships to move enough grain to Ireland to save all that many people if there had been enough grain around to ship.

The British certainly exploited India - they weren't the first invading pow er to do that - but they didn't enslave it. And while there were British sl ave traders, a whole lot of nationalities took ships to Africa, bought slav es that had been captured by the locals (some African, some Arab) and shipp ed them across to America where Americans bought them. The Dutch were certa inly active in the slave trade, as were American merchants.

Where? Cite.

The Scots are more inclined to go in for education than the Irish. The Iris h tended to be stoop labour on building sites, rather than the engineers su pervising the construction.

Kind of you to provide a few more examples.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to