Hysteria from the left...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Those [of us] who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" -Edgar Allan Poe

That's not the left, nor is it the right. It's school administrators and entrenched power gone wild, which we see often happening on both sides of the fence. I can't think of a single one of my progressive friends who would go for such a crazy action, nor can you.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You don't have anything better to do?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Find me a right-wing "progressive"... they're mutually exclusive descriptors.

For that matter, find me a right-wing administrator (usually found only in AZ or TX) that wouldn't immediately recognize the sq-rt sign. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

That's simply ignorance and fear in an educationally backward state.

It isn't too surprising; a colleague was driving through Louisiana when he was stopped by a policeman that made a surprising statement. It was only later he realised the policeman was illiterate and couldn't read his documents!

If Louisiana is traditionally republican, then it is a consequence of right-wing actions/inactions.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Indeed.

The way he jumps on any report and infers a simple (and incredible) cause makes me wonder whether his critical faculties are dimming.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Students in the group began commenting that the symbol, which represents a number that when multiplied by itself equals another number, looked like a gun."

The news apparently felt it necessary to explain to its audience of citizens what a square root sign was too so I think I see the more general problem lol

Reply to
bitrex

The situation is frankly way better on average now than how I remember the Boston area public school system in the mid-late 1980s, there were all these administrators from the 1960s and before approaching retirement age who definitely didn't give one shit about anything and we could pretty much get away with whatever.

I saw all sorts of fights and was in fights myself in elementary and middle school relatively often, knockdown drag-out slugfests where somebody was going home with something broken or blood all over themselves for sure. Kids getting sucker punched in the halls, faces smashed into lockers, weapons pulled, all sorts of stuff. And these schools were 95% white

I was definitely never expelled or suspended for any of the stuff I was a part of and I can't remember that anyone else was either. "Boys will be boys"

Reply to
bitrex

That is to say, the "boys will be boys" thing seems to imply sort of a Greatest Generation more innocent form of schoolyard hazing.

By the 1980s though the schools were full of the sociopathic children of baby boomers and they had no interest in "playing fair", they were out for blood.

Reply to
bitrex

And what? 100% Bostonian idiots?

Reply to
Long Hair

My older brother was kicked out of high school for straight leg jeans and facial hair back in 1969!

I and my other syblings were harassed by this same admin over the span of HIS career. Even my nephews were given hell by this old bastard. I sure hope he has croaked by now.

Reply to
Long Hair

snip

It was the shit behavior you guys lived by that precipitated their mindset, idiot.

Reply to
Long Hair

Yer full of somthin' there, bit ... rex.

YMMV

Dude, every city is "full of transplants". It is the atmosphere the city already has that gets adopted. So don't try to play that shit. 'xcuses? We don' need no stinkin' 'xcuses!

Reply to
Long Hair

Not true. It made the news because it was so unexpected that anyone would think it was related to guns.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

surely also because someone thought something that looked like a gun was of any interest. It sure never was here when I was at school. At age 9 we were all taught to carry a knife.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

School administrations didn't freak-out when a kid made a finger "gun" and went "pow-pow", either. They would have laughed at a PBJ "gun", too, rather than shut-down the school and tried the kid for "terroristic threats". But that's what you get when lefties get any power.

Reply to
krw

Who gives a damn if he drew a gun or a stick of dynamite with a sizzling fuse.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No, he's always been that way, but at least once in a while he talked about electronics.

Really, I can go online and find unlimited nonsensical rants from left and right; I don't need links here.

Ditto scientific breakthroughs, which are available in mass but rarely amount to much.

lunatic fringe electronics

I grew up in Louisiana. It has its virtues. The cajun/creole culture is unique. New Orleans is an island of its own that just happens to be in the South; my accent is mid-american, sometimes mistaken for Brooklyn. The food is wonderful. People live for family, food, and fun.

My high school was the first in Louisiana to be integrated, three tiny black girls and a dozen FBI agents. The girls were welcomed, cherished in fact. There was no trouble. New Orleans was always a salt-and-pepper segregated place, not like the northeast, so integration was no big deal.

The weather is dreadful, the bugs and pollen and heat are unrelenting, and it's a terrible place to do electronics.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think you are referring to what went through the reporter's mind.

I was referring to what went through the student and teacher's mind. The students and teachers are displaying ignorance and fear.

I noted, and you snipped, another surprising to me and an engineer from Colorado example of ignorance in that state...