Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

Hello,

I just experienced a very weird internet outage/partial fall out.

It was very weird and only last for a minute or so, some websites failed to
 load, others half, some fully but slowly.

It might have been some kind of radio or satelite link being affected.

But I don't think my traffic goes via that because then the latency should
be above 500 milliseconds or something and it's not that high ever.

So my best guess is it must have been something else, and here is my hypoth
esis:

The rotational speed of the hurrican, swinging/circularing around all these
 air particles must have had some kind of massive electrical effect, that c
aused the trans atlantic cable in the sea, assuming there is one... to brie
fly fail cause corrupted packets or somehow cause a brief internet disrupti
on.

This could mean this hurrican's electro magnetic field penetrated deep into
 the ocean, so deep it affected this cable.

If this hypothesis is unknown in the sciencetific community which I find so
mewhat hard to believe, I will google this later, then my experimention sug
gestion is as follows:

Send a submarine with highly sensitive equipment into the bottom of the oce
an, before a future hurrican arrives and start measuring any electrical eff
ects.

If this effect is currently unknown/unaware of then submarines of the navy
might be at brief risk.

So it may be worth it for the army to investigate this phenemenon in case t
here is any merit to it, and prevent any nuclear submarine mishap from occu
ring ;)

This may also explain loss of planes in the bermuda triangle that may have
been near such hurricanes at the time of disappearance ;) :)

Bye for now,
  Skybuck =D

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.
New hypothesis: coastal internet equipment affected

The hurrican is about to strike the USA's beach... perhaps some coastal internet equipment was briefly affected but this storm's magnetic field, it was weird.

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.
I will be a little bit more specific with the "hit" observation. I understood that the outer edges of the hurrican are the most powerfull, this seems to be the case.

At the time of the outages some 20 minutes ago, the edge of this hurrican hit the USA and this was pricely the moment I experienced this internet outage.

So this hurrican could also have affected internet equipment in-land somewhat... since the edge seems to be already over the beach and into the country of the USA.

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 21:11:06 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Nice try, but all transatlantic cables are fiber optic, which is not
affected by electro magic fields and paranormal phenomenon.

Submarine cable map
<https://www.submarinecablemap.com

10 facts about internet undersea cables
<http://mentalfloss.com/article/60150/10-facts-about-internets-undersea-cables

What's inside the Undersea Internet Cable?
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7stcJ65_X4
(6:18)

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

Well, the data flows on optical fiber, but I think they still have
repeaters every so many miles along the cable.  A big enough glitch at
either end might cause the repeaters (or their shore-based power
supplies) to go offline for a second or so.

Jon

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

As I vaguely recall, typical EFDA (erbium doped fiber amp) spacing is
typically about 80 km.

The recently completed Marea tansatlantic cable is only 6,600 km long.
<https://www.nanog.org/sites/default/files/2_Gaudette_Open_Undersea_Cable_Systems.pdf
It uses over 200 repeaters at 60-100 km intervals.

The AEC-1 cable from New York to Ireland is 5,523 km long and has 65
repeaters.
<https://www.osapublishing.org/DirectPDFAccess/AE5214F6-B2F7-E8FD-D4E0823253C7A4D1_381957/jlt-36-1-103.pdf?da=1&id38%1957&seq=0&mobile=no

The power the the repeaters is 14KV DC.  Anything operating in such a
high voltage environment would probably be well protected against
"glitches".  Redundant power should be fairly easy to provide, even at
14KV DC.  Well, maybe not so easy:
"Power Feeding Equipment for Optical Submarine Cable Systems"
<https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3c72/998ffe9c39a1aa4a9faba42c04dbb33765aa.pdf
<http://web.mit.edu/mangle/www/NGIPS/submarine%20power%20feed%20equipment.pdf
15KV at 500 ma = 7.5kw.  It's powered by -48VDC which I guess means a
big telco battery bank.  I don't think short term power failures are a
problem.

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

We are having a solar storm.

Greg

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

See this new thing:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/experimental-geoelectric-field-1-minute

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

---

Re: Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

How about power failures and maybe lightning hitting various network
infrastructure?  There are likely tons of locations that have now lost
power, and the network has to detect the down links and route around them.
This can take a few minutes before it settles down.

Jon

Site Timeline