Hydrogen transport as ammonia

I remember making Nitrogen Tri-Iodide when I was a kid. We were using

30% ammonia water. Care had to be taken. No "whifs" allowed.

It does nasty stuff to skin, too. A friend was a crew chief for F4s, then F16s. The APUs are hydrazine powered (they hid the fact from the locals).

Reply to
krw

John Larkin wrote on 6/9/2017 3:54 PM:

Good think no one makes or ships it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I draw schematics on vellum and have a blueline machine. When the ammonia gets too weak to develop the diazo, it's still dangerous and hard to get rid of. I take the jug onto the roof, unscrew the cap, run, and leave it for a couple of weeks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote on 6/9/2017 6:51 PM:

Running on the roof! Now if we can just get him to carry a pair of scissors too!

--

Rick C
Reply to

it could. but delieveies would need to be to the back of the placement train so the locomotive would need to push those wagons from the last shunting yard to the rail head, and they would need to be coupled with minimum impact, once emoty they'd need to be returned to the shunting yard and new wagons delivered.

the rail still needs to be set out too.

it seems it'd be easer to send semis and off-road forklifts up the rail path to lay supply depots as needed, before they start laying rail.

Jasen Betts

I'm guessing the sort of hotel that would have a 50 year old fridge would likely have other health and safety issues too.

do these fridges have a whole kilogram of ammonia or is that just the regulatory range that the amount used falls into?

Jasen Betts

I don't follow this reasoning at all. Bring the stuff in on a train or bring it in on a semi. Trains can always reach the point of laying track, semis can't. When using semis the track equipment has to go out to the roadway to fetch the ties. When bringing them by train they can just drop off the cars loaded with the ties and the ties can be moved to the track equipment as needed.

--

Rick C
Reply to

s have been expressed about the safety of

likely cause several deaths. In practice

happens if they're still installed 50 years

I was at an airshow at the local airbase some 30 years ago with my dad, you could go see an F16 they made no secret about the EPU being powered by toxic hydrazine

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I bet the air show wasn't in the Peoples Republic of Vermont.

Reply to
krw

Fifty years ago they didn't have mini bars with ammonia coolant, either.

Do what 'fridges?

Reply to
krw
:

com:

nope, Denmark is a kingdom though we have a queen at the moment ;)

it was in 1988, I remember because the Tricolore was there and shortly afte r they crashed at an airshow in Germany and 70 was killed. There was a Conc orde there and for some crazy sum you could get on a short flight

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I have a very different impression from what I read and heard at the time. There are often very significant differences in the type of information and media reports we see here from what you see in the USA, and of course there are personal differences in what we read. But we will leave it at that, I think - I don't want to get into details, references, and arguments here. If you are interested, I'd encourage you to do some research on a variety of sources, and to look closely and the numbers, the risks, and the reactions. Of course, that might end up re-enforcing your opinion here rather than convincing you of my impressions, but that's okay - I have only said what I think, I don't claim any sort of authority here.

I'll put it on my "must watch" list.

(I find subtitles essential when watching films. Even with a film in English, I like to have the subtitles on - you often get a more detail from dialogue that can be hard to hear. But I have to have the subtitles in Norwegian - subtitles in English just looks weird to me!)

I expect that to many Norwegians, "thorium" just sounds like something advanced and technical, like anything with "nano" or "quantum". I haven't seen the series, obviously, but I think most people would just see it as a plot device rather than knowing anything about thorium.

Yes, that sounds at least somewhat realistic. Politics and government in Norway is much more cooperative than in some countries. To us, it appears that the USA is split between two sides and that the main aim of any republican is to be against the democrats, and the main aim of any democrate is to be against the republicans. If you give a cross-party group in Norway a problem to solve, they really will try to solve it (albeit often slowly and with a great deal of red tape). If you give a cross-party group in the USA a problem to solve, each side will concentrate on making it look like the other's fault. (Okay, I know that is a bit unfair and exaggerated.)

And there is not a lot of pomp involved in Norwegian government, or most things in Norway - we are a lot more casual. At a high level cabinet meeting, you won't see many people in expensive suits - people will have shirts without ties, coffee cups on the desk, call each other by their first names, etc.

It is a good job that so few people understand that - arguments on the internet would be much more boring! (I was reading an article recently about how many people recall seeing Clint Eastwood flick a cigarette into his mount in a David Letterman show - even though it never happened.)

Some people feel it is useful to have something to blame for their illness or misfortune - others are happier to know that it is bad luck, or a combination of factors. It is no easy matter to know what you should say to a cancer patient.

Reply to
David Brown

have been expressed about the safety of 1kg ammonia minifridges in hotels o n the grounds that a release would likely cause several deaths. In practice such releases have not occurred so it continued to be permitted. What happ ens if they're still installed 50 years later & heavily rusted I don't know .

They're still in use here. I had one a decade ago. The upside of being sile nt clearly outweighs the slight downsdide of multiple deaths if one ever le aks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Silent but deadly? At least you don't need to add mercaptan to make a leak noticeable.

--

Rick C
Reply to

They might still be in use domestically but they must be very very old by now if you are anywhere in the first world. Corrosion is a worry...

I remember back in the 70's big diazo ice plant compressor using ammonia as refridgerant making hollow cylinder ice "cubes" about the size of a man in blocks 16 at a time. The 32' flywheel shook the ground on the compressor stroke and you could smell it from 100m downwind.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

trains don't push as well as they pull,

how?

car-car-car-car-car-car-car-loco car-car-car-car-car-machine-bulldozer ========================================================= (ooooooo) not to scale.

Jasen Betts

They do what ever they need. Go to a car yard and watch them make up trains.

loco-car-car-car-car-car-car-car car-car-car-car-car-machine-bulldozer ========================================================= (ooooooo)

--

Rick C
Reply to

Oh, it can be created easily enough. It's just that, because of the lefty loons, nothing can be put in it.

Reply to
krw

I'm not sure that nuclear follows a political division. I would guess it correlates more strongly with science/ tech knowledge.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

? Has the cat got your tongue?