HV probe

Amazon has 100:1 high voltage scope probes for around $25. They have a

99M internal resistor, so they work with a 10 Meg DVM, too. The division ratio becomes 10.9:1.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And the Vmax is...?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

2KV for the $24 Hantek 100 MHz probe.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

freq ?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

That aint bad The last time I got 100:1 probe it cost me $75 from probemaster.com and I think that one is around 1500V at 200Mz or more and gold plate.HV Looking at their site, It seems they don't have it any more ? I have a couple of the Hantek 10mA- 6/60 amp 20kHz current clamps that work as advertised.

Reply to
M Philbrook

About 1/20 the Tek price!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah, but what's the derating?

I suspect it won't last long on a Tesla coil, for instance (well, the primary... well, part of the primary).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Good thing I don't have a Tesla coil. Is a Tesla coil actually good for anything? I'm building a 1200 volt pulse generator, with a 1400 volt power supply, so this probe works with a scope or a DVM.

With a 1.11 M resistor across the DVM, it becomes a 100x probe again.

lunatic fringe electronics

Wow. A whopping 2kV.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Read the thread, IDIOT!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

At less than 1/20th the performance as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snip

You could easily build your own divider and put it in a fluorinert bath or pot it in RTV and dial in better precision and stability and reliability than hantek.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Think so? What would be better about a Tek probe?

Even Tek scopes aren't anything special these days. Some are downright terrible.

lunatic fringe electronics

Gold plate to ensure consistently minimal resistance when in series with 99M. It's a funny world.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is this just a 99 Mohm resistor and the probe relies of the 1 Mohm scope input resistance to get that 100:1 division ratio.

Does the probe have a tunable shunt capacitance ?

There must be a small capacitor across the 99 Mohm resistor to balance out the cable and scope input capacitance and usually a small tunable shunt capacitor. The total shunt capacitance should e 100 times the probe series capacitance. This will give a 100:1 capacitance reactance voltage divider that matches the 100:1 resistance ratio, giving a flat frequency response.

Tune the shunt capacitance until a 1:100 total capacitance ratio is achieved.

Reply to
upsidedown

This coming from the idiot who thinks the ISS has not produced any science.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Probmaster makes beautiful stuff. I use their DVM probes exlusively.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It is NOT "just a 99MOhm resistor.

It has to have the voltage withstand capacity as well.

One can achieve better precision with a series string of HV resistors as well, and the HV does not shift the resistance value when the pressure is applied as much either.

That is what is inside the long HV probes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

2KV ain't that much. I have an old Avo 30KV probe that's about 45 years old now and I can trust it 100%. I wouldn't trust anything HT/EHT made in China!
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Hmm, I had this semi-crazy idea the other day. I've used piezo sparkers (from butane lighters) as ESD testers... spark things and see if they survive. I was thinking if one could hang an RC on it and maybe a HV monitor it could be more useful.

But how to do the monitor?... (well and all the other HV stuff.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold