HV diodes

Anyone know of a s/mount alternative for HV03-10 ? The circuit has 2 in series+ 2 in parallel. I could use more in series to get to 10KV rating/400mA TIA

Reply to
TTman

TTman schrieb:

Hello,

if you connect several diodes in series and parallel, you have to take care for an equal distribution of the voltage over the diodes in series and the current over the diodes in parallel. Parallel and serial resistors may help.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

That would be a lot of power dissipation for a surface-mount part. Most HV rectifiers have a lot of junctions in series == lots of forward drop == lots of power dissipation at 400 mA.

John

Yes..... VF is quoted at 10V....

Reply to
TTman

A bunch of these in series?

No where to find them, that's another story. And don't forget parallel resistors to equalize the reverse voltages, else ... phut ... *POOF*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Modern controlled-avalanche rectifiers don't need equalizers for series operation; they don't have a hard negative-resistance behavior. Schottkies certainly don't; they just leak more as voltage goes up so tend to equalize on their own.

At higher frequencies, the reverse voltage distribution is determined by diode capacitance and reverse recovery behavior, and resistors won't have much effect.

We sometimes use step-recovery diodes in series to make high-voltage pulses. That should certainly have problems, but it works fine.

John

Remember, he wanted SMT :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

AFAIR the BYM series has been around for a while so they might not be that modern. With diodes back in the 80's you really needed those resistors. I remember a guy who didn't believe me and in due course lost a pretty expensive plate transformer.

If it's 60Hz stuff it's good practice to use small caps in parallel as well. Cuts down on modulating strong carriers and spewing them back out into the world, but this time with AM-hum on there.

Sounds like a white-knuckle ride :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

It is very easy to find out how many elements are in the stack for an HV diode.

It is 0.15 Volts per element. If the diode drops 10 Volts, it has like

65 series elements in it.

Power dissipation? No. Sorry idiot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Philips, idiots... Philips.

Archimedes' Lever

snipped retarded, self aggrandizing link

Yet another utter retard that cannot read ALL the news.

You deserve no "PM".

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

HV silicon diodes drop around 0.7 volts each, not 0.15.

Sorry, idiot. You are AlwaysWrong.

John

I said surface mount...... idiot

Reply to
TTman

Too stupid to recognize facetious calls ME an "idiot" ?:-)

It actually would be fun to stand by while he "fires" up his poor excuse for engineering :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

A calmer mind that can simply ignore dorks like you.

You are the weakest link... goodbye.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I don't think you design electronics at all.

John

Err...

FAIL!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

You're leaving, DimBulb? Great! Bye.

Reply to
krw

SDB

I am sure that the acronym will evade your grasp, but it is you that fails. My shit works. Keeps our boys safe. Fuck off, both of you.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever