html image refuses to mount

Can anyone out there suggest why a chart's .gif picture refuses to display on a remounted web page?

They are ~identical, save that the new page internal links are addressed relatively. The .gif picture location was/is relative in both instances, and the external link to a larger definition pdf, that both pictures represent, functions.

The .gif picture also displays normally in it's archived local directory and when opened in an editor (Netscape Composer). Placed in the teksavvy hosted webspace, however, it's 'no go'.

old:

new:

RL

Reply to
legg

If I copy the url of the .gif into the address bar it says `Not Found' A Typo?

Reply to
Johann Klammer

My guess is that the gif is not in the CCDM directory of the server.

if you use

its there.

;)

Martin Riddle

vs.

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The non-caps renaming of the file type suffix seems to do it.

Funny, it doesn't seem to matter on the other 30 (or so) pages, as file name and suffix are random in the files, from three or four variously-dated back-ups.

and only on that one server (having been on two others, previously).

This one monkey, on one keyboard couldn't do it alone.

Thanks.

RL

Reply to
legg

renaming .GIF as .gif fixed it. Don't ask me why. The other pages use the cases ~ at random, from different periods of construction/editing.

Thanks

RL

Reply to
legg

On the web, both links render the same. I understand that relative references/links are (somehow better). Relative references make life easier if one needs to code fiddle locally (offline). The 'nogo' could be from lack of sub-directory CSS etc support.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Simply means the GIF is not in the "root"

Robert Baer

Capitalisation case is significant on Unix systems but not on DOS.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown