HP5316 1GHz counter front end

I got a 5316 counter off ebay with OCXO and 1GHz channel. There's a differential amplifier/receiver in there, HP pn 1826-0589. Of course, the x-ref lists I've found so far jump from 1826-0588 to

1826-0590. Either of those parts have nothing to do with amplifying.

Anybody have a clue what this part could be?

The BOM claims it's a TO-8, but the schematic shows 12 pin numbers... I'll take the unit apart tomorrow and see what the chip says but it looks like a complex thing to take apart and I'll bet there's no other numbers on the part.

I've tried searching for ECL drivers, receivers, anything that would work at 1GHz and have those pin numbers. No luck. 100EL, 10E, etc..

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Not in either of my lists either :-(

Depending on the age of the counter, if there's no commercial equivalent, it's likely to be an in house hp custom device, in which case the only answer is to find and replace with equivalent functionality. The usual way here is to find a functionally equivalent device, glue it upsidedown on the board with dow corning (so it can be removed again) and use 26swg wire to connect it up. Had to do this recently on a General Radio vhf synthesiser, which uses dozens of /10 ecl dividers. Didn't have the part in stock but did have some Plessey devices which worked fine.

The early hp kit is brilliantly engineered, but can be a real pain to fix because of all the custom devices, some of them in the wierdest of looking packages. The worst examples i've seen to data was a 5345a counter, which has loads of custom devices. In the end, bought another scruffy one on Ebay just for parts...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Hi Friend! I have one 1826-0589 (new). If you still want, contact me. mems "underline" ericson at yah oo point com point br

Reply to
Mems