How to use DTMF tones to drive solenoids?

Dear All,

I am new to DTMF as well as to this group so forgive me in case of "stupid" questions...

I am looking for hardware to control 16 solenoids using DTMF tones. In fact I am building an instrument consisting of 16 automated castagnettes.

My goal is to find a solution as simple as possible to drive the castagnettes.

My basic idea is:

1) Use a MP3 player to store a "song" consisting out of differtent DTMF tones 2) Use a simple DTMF receiver connected to the MP3 player to detect the DTMF tones (e.g. MT8870D / MT8870D-1 Integrated DTMF receiver) 3) Use simple electronics connected to the DTMF receiver to drive 16 solenoids. (Solenoids: 12VAC or 12VDC)

Does anyone of you know a simple approach to do this? I know just enough about electronics to build a simple schematic.

I really hope anyone of you can give me some help!

Best regards, Eibert Draisma.

Reply to
Eibert Draisma

I suggest that you not use DTMF tones. The delay time inherent in the decoding process will be noticeable if the timing needs to be synchronized with other instruments in a performance, or if it controlled manually.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan

Reply to
Robert Scott

First, do you really have to use that scheme (I mean use a MP3 player and all that ...) ? Anyway, I'll first explain how to control solenoid from a digital signal then maybe a simpler scheme than DTMF tone for song storage.

So, you have a digital signal, either 3.3v or 5v representing a logic 1 (that is solenoid active). How to convert that will depend on your solenoid spec. You said AC or DC, the circuit might change depending on what it is. Then you also need the current flowing thru that solenoid.

Since you say, it's for music, it may be best to avoir mechanical relays, they produce a "clicking" sound. So the best solution for you might be a simple NMOS if it's DC, or a PhotoMOS (SolidState relay) if it's AC or you want optical isolation. That depends on the cur.rent requirements. In the simplest case :

12V ----- | C C C C | _| In>-|_ NMOS | | ### GND

Since the solenoid will produce high reverse peak voltage when turned on/off, you should add a diode to flow the current back to the supply (I'm too lazy to add it on the ascii schematics, just a diode across the NMOS Drain/Source, cathode on the solenoid side). Actually some NMOS might have that diode integrated, don't know but might be good enough.

Now, instead of you whole MP3 player stuff, using a simple uC with integrated EEPROM, you might store a big quantity of "music", with a decreased (IMHO) complexity. A low end pic or atmel AVR with integrated oscillator and enough IO. If you take one with UART, you could connect it to your PC to directly upload the songs to the internal eeprom or flash.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Be careful. Most NMOS do have a diode integrated (cathode connected to drain, anode to source), but that diode cannot provide an alternate path for the solenoid current when the NMOS is turned off. Therefore, that diode does not avoid or even reduce voltage buildup across drain and source, when the NMOS is opened. The diode to protect against this must be in parallel with the load (cathode to positive node of the load, anode to negative node).

Reply to
Mochuelo

Why do you want to use DTMF tones ?

It seems to me like you could use MIDI to do what you want and it would be vastly more versatile.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Offhand, I'd have thought MIDI would be the interface of choice, being a standard in the music world and all...

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

What's a castagnette?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Dutch, French (and??) spelling for castanets. The word is related to "chestnut". I've got a wind chime-y kind of thing made from dried chestnut shells. Wish I could remember where I got it. Mexico, maybe.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You mean those things that go clickety-clack when they're doing the flamingo [sic] dance? And he wants SIXTEEN of them?

Eek! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

a noisy spanish thing (apart from the goddamn mopeds)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I think it's "flamenco" akshurely.

"Some tiny, emaciated Dago in tights, and a bint with a big arse and her hair Brylcreemed (sp?) down"

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse