How to turn green PCBs from green to black

John Robertson wrote in news:nuCdnRjVXeEzW snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

sil

la

Far better solution for *this* application. Have a presice mask made from say PCB solder paste stencil media.

IOW have a stncil made that has openings for the LEDs.

Send that off to the UK's "National Physical Laboratory" to get coated with "VANTABlack" coating. Apply to PCB assembly. There is no blacker surface treatment.

"How much more black could it be?"

"None more black."

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:pkklmg$15pq$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Uhh... Precise. A bit of mild dyslexia there...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I did try it on a junk pcb. Looks pretty good. The magic marker I Used was from the Dollar General store.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sounds like a possible solution. Another thing I omitted in my OP is that there are other SMD components on the same side as the SMD LEDs. May not be a problem. I don't know because I've never had this situation before.

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

JohnS

Reply to
John S

I can't reply to all posters so let me say that I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. You guys have given me thoughts to pursue.

Many thanks.

JohnS

Reply to
John S

fit a die-cut adhesive mask take the design for your solder-mask to a signmaker who does computer cut vinyl lettering have them cut you 100 copies in black vinyl. online shops will produce lasr-cuts from SVG images, the can be produces from bitmaps using inkscape's edge tracing feature.

alt.

use permanent marker (or a paint marker) result may look a little untidy,

--
     ?
Reply to

Don't use matte, use satin so it's like regular solder mask. You don't want the customer demanding matte on the next batch.

--
     ?
Reply to

We have a bunch of black solder mask PCBs... Black might look better for certain finished boards with no bugs but black SM makes it almost impossible to debug boards and see where the traces go.

Reply to
boB

Single-color LEDs?

If so, then colored plastic filter (with a peak at the LED wavelength) will make everything dark except LEDs. Look at Rosco theatrical filters, also Lee inc.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

I'll look into it. Thanks, Bill.

Reply to