How to slow down the bus speed ?

I have a Modular Circuit Technology EPROM programmer that I bought 15 years ago, and used with a PC-XT 4.77 Mhz and it worked well.

However, I no longer have the old XT and would like to use the programmer with a later model computer.

The problem is that the programmer cannot be used with a system that has a bus speed of above 8 Mhz...

So, does anyone here know whether or not there is a software program that will slow down a computer's bus speed, maybe by using wait states or something, that will enable me to use the programmer with a more modern computer ?

Perhaps, if this isn't the right group to ask, someone could tell me about a computer newsgroup where I could ask.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Andy W4OAH

Reply to
AndyS

People laugh at me when I dumpster dive or pick old PC's out of the trash and take them to my warehouse. I still have customers who are running DOS. The proprietary software they have won't run on modern systems. I have seen some software for the avid overclocker crowd that allows all sorts of adjustments to motherboard buss speeds that could be useful to you but I have not used any of it. You may have to bite the bullet and cruse the thrift stores and recyclers to find suitable hardware.

"Command line", never forget.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

Hmm, is it possible that the software you're using has the problem and not the hardware? I do remember back in the Turbo Pascal days of using the Delay function. It used CPU counting, that program would fail on faster machines because it would over flow .

You could call it built in obsolescents. The fix was, I wrote my own CRT unit and used the tick timer window.... If you know the programming sequence to the programmer, I'm sure it would be simple to whack out a program to dump a bin file to the programmer. I suspect that the software you're using must be using a delay loop when communicating with the COM/Parallel port. Because that was a common thing back then.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Jamie wrote:> I suspect that the software you're using must be using a delay loop

Andy writes: It says SPECIFICALLY in the manual that it cannot be used with bus speed of greater than 8 Mhz.

While I know it is possible to trace out the circuit and write a program that will run thru a printer port to simulate a low speed computer, I have retired and am too damn lazy to start a project like that from scratch..

I just want to see if there is a way to load a "MODERN" program with a patch that will automatically provide a couple of hundred wait states after each instruction and allow the effective bus speed to be below 8 Mhz.....

Yeah, I know,..... but I am too damn old to be smelting my own ore to get the metal to build a screwdriver......

Thanks , tho, for your post...... My background is both hardware and software, but I don't have the enthusiasm to pursue the building of new tools anymore... Hell, I'd probly just use flint arrowheads if I could get away with it... ... which is why I don't just pay $500 for a new programmer that will replace the one I have.... :>)))

Andy

Reply to
AndyS

I have an old ISA bus device programmer as well. I haven't had an ISA slot to plug it into for some time now. My new programmer is USB2, it cost me about U$200. Decide whether to support antiques, or support newer stuff.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Wait states are set in CMOS Setup. AFAIK the most ever available is 3.

Here's what AMD has to say:

JeffM