How to select transistor for oscillator ?

Could some electronics guru here please help ? What is the best way to select a transistor for an oscillator ? Consider a Colpitts oscillator running at 5 MHz. The following are the analysis steps.

  1. Select a value for the LC tank capacitor C1 = C2 = C
  2. Select a load e.g., R=50 Ohm
  3. To start oscillations, gmR > C2/C1. In this case gmR > 1
  4. Using the oscillation frequency and the LC tank capacitance value, the inductor value is obtained.
  5. Having determined gm, find the collector current using gm = Ic/VT where VT = 0.025
  6. From the VCC value, the collector current limiting resistor is VCC/Ic
  7. The base bias resistors are then obtained using the fact that the maximum base bias current is 0.1 times the collector current. Then the question is: how to select a transistor ?

All hints/suggestions are helpful. Thanks in advance

Reply to
dakupoto
  1. Equal capacitors?? But C = C1*C2 / (C1+C2)?
  2. Note this ignores component losses: inductor, capacitors, and transistor too.
  3. To follow on from that, the reflected impedance of the base (assuming a common emitter configuration) needs to be similarly high, otherwise the tank goes thud, or insufficient signal gets to the base.

Mind that, in addition to being a resonant tank and phase shift network, the CLC is also an impedance matching network. The capacitor ratio gives the voltage ratio, and therefore the impedance ratio squared, but that impedance is only valid if the capacitor impedance itself is low enough. Which is also to say, the tank Q is greater than the voltage ratio as well.

  1. I would start with Zo = sqrt(L/C) and Fo = 1 / (2*pi*sqrt(L*C)) instead, where Zo is the resonant impedance, which will be Q times the equivalent total load impedance.
  2. Yup, for a BJT of course; and for anything else, whatever it is. This is minimum, of course, and probably 2-3 times more is a good idea. (The average Gm drops at large signal levels, as amplitude saturates. In this way, you could design an oscillator to continue to operate, at relatively low amplitudes, without hitting saturation in the output (collector/etc.) side.)
  3. Collector limiting?? Did you mean emitter? But that wouldn't use the whole VCC, unsure.

Anyway, a normal common emitter amplifier can be used here, setting, say: Vb ~ 0.2 Vcc, Vc ~ 0.6 Vcc and therefore Ve = Vb - Vbe.

That's Vc if a collector resistor is used, otherwise with a choke load (which would be a tapped coil in a Hartley oscillator). Obviously, don't forget to factor Rc into the total load resistance!

Note that gm = 1 / (Ic/Vth + 1/R_E), that is, r_e + R_E in the hybrid-pi model. R_E can be bypassed with a cap if desired.

  1. Maximum base bias is Ic / hFE(min). Set base divider current (i.e., Vcc / (Rb1 + Rb2)) to about 10x that, to ensure the base voltage doesn't droop much. In practice, it may turn out that the base divider current is about Ic/10, but this isn't a saturated switch we're making here. :)

Finally, transistor only needs fT high enough. fT is not the definition of Gm rolloff -- that requires knowing h_ie at fT -- but it is related. Typically you'll have fT > 10*Fo.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

 wrote in message
> Could some electronics guru here please help ?
> What is the best way to select a transistor
> for an oscillator ? Consider a Colpitts
> oscillator running at 5 MHz. The following are
> the analysis steps.
> 1. Select a value for the LC tank capacitor
>   C1 = C2 = C
> 2. Select a load e.g., R=50 Ohm
> 3. To start oscillations, gmR > C2/C1. In this
>   case gmR > 1
> 4. Using the oscillation frequency and the LC
>   tank capacitance value, the inductor value
>   is obtained.
> 5. Having determined gm, find the collector
>   current using gm = Ic/VT where VT = 0.025
> 6. From the VCC value, the collector current
>   limiting resistor is VCC/Ic
> 7. The base bias resistors are then obtained
>   using the fact that the maximum base bias
>   current is 0.1 times the collector current.
> Then the question is: how to select a transistor ?
>
> All hints/suggestions are helpful. Thanks in advance
Reply to
Tim Williams

in most cases it just needs enough gain at the chosen frequency. How much gain do you need? Other parameters sometimes matter of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My common NPN gumdrops are BCX70 and BFS17 for faster stuff.

If you care about noise, take a look at Win's table, page 501 of AOE3. It pains me that he selected BCX70 as the first/worse transistor in the list.

Actually, I rarely use bipolar transistors these days.

lunatic fringe electronics

They're just too "unstable" HEH

Reply to
bitrex

5 MHz? is a 2N3904 not good enough for some reason?
Reply to
bitrex

This kind of detailed thinking is what I might go thru to build a 500 MHz oscillator, not a 5 MHz oscillator. For 5 MHz just find Colpitts schematic online it will probably use a 2N3904. select components in tank for frequency and simulate in LTSpice. Tweak values if needed. Build circuit on small slab of copper clad it will work fine 95% chance. Can be all done in the time one takes to discuss it here...

Reply to
bitrex

Unless one really need low phase noise or distortion or very high frequency or some other specific parameter from an oscillator I think detailed mathematical analysis of low-frequency oscillators is kinda a waste of time. Yeah you can do it but the circuits are nonlinear and the results are often not particularly enlightening. This is what SPICE was invented for.

Amplifiers like to oscillate very much in the proper configuration and if they're in that configuration the tolerances can be pretty broad they don't need math to cajole them.

Reply to
bitrex

Bipolars are not unstable. But mosfets are usually easier to use.

The last bipolar transistor circuit that I designed was in fact a Colpitts oscillator. It's a 600 MHz VCO that uses a coaxial ceramic resonator and a BFT25A. The time consuming bit was temperature compensating it; I wound up buying a reel of custom-brewed N4700 caps.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote

I use bipolars all the time, Here a 2.4 Giggle Hz oscillator:

1.57 Giggle Hertz:

Think those were BFR91. These are both to some degree frequency controlled by the base current, that changes Vce and CVce and thus frequency.

Anyways that was locked to the FPGA board that was locked to the Rubidium reference on the left.

6 MHz xtal oscillator:

For lower frequencies I of course use unijunction transistors.

For even higher frequencies there are 'sjips', like this I am working on:

The RT320M chip is a PLL locked to a 25 MHz xtal (on the right) with an output of

390 x 25 MHz = 9.750 GHz or 426 x 25 MHz = 10.650 GHz used as local oscillator and mixer for 10.7 GHz to 12,75 GHz reception. Modifying it for 10.4 GHz,

Removed the crystal from the board, here testing if it still works with crystal on thin wires on the side. Thing is small... bad PCB, tracks fall off... A tunable external reference will be connected via a connector on the bottom.

Will attempt that locking thing with this LNB too.

For even higher frequencies I have some various color lasers.

:-)

But anyways bipolars are great, the naming here in Elektor magazine was TUP and TUN for Transistor Universal NPN and Transistor Universal PNP, BC547 BC557, also known in a smaller package as BC847 BC857 have only a Ft of 100 MHz or so, good enough for most things.

I also still have an old germanium OC76 and an OC140 germanium transistor in black painted glass envelope.

<698839253X6D445TD

The "gimmick" there makes a like 3-5pF cap in that configuration, yeah?

Reply to
bitrex

I have some CK722's!

and some high-voltage opamps

Here's my oscillator:

The CCROs have TCs, Qs, and initial accuracies over 10x better than an LC. The higher-frequency parts have Qs in the thousands.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I look at it more as a transmission line, or LC cicuit. It will oscillate if serial impedance is low and phase shift close to 180 degrees. Basically it is an LC tuned circuit and phase reversing transformer.

. . -||- ) ( ) ( ) ( | | caps all over the length, like a transmission line, inductors coupled 180 degrees phase shift :-)

There are probably other ways to look at it, but it works great,

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

John Larkin wrote

What is the Ft?

hehe, that is funny.

Ceramics are not better than quartz crystals I think?

The TCXOs are cool, there is one in here:

1ppm Using it in my spectrum analyser, good from about 20 MHz to 1.7 GHz
and to receive all sorts of radio signals.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

They are available up into the GHz. As oscillators, they are a lot more pullable than crystals. But most CCROs are probably used as bandpass filters.

lunatic fringe electronics

Can Spice do useful noise analysis of oscillators?

lunatic fringe electronics

Dunno! Can't say I've ever needed to design such a high-performance oscillator myself. If I should need to I have a couple books on my shelf that go thru the math...

Reply to
bitrex

The "problem" such as it is, is that OP asked "what the BEST transistor" is and as usual the answer is "it depends." He didn't specify a noise requirement just a 5MHz Colpitts. so why not just a 2N3904? They work fine for the Colpitts at that frequency and there are many examples online.

It's kinda a reinvent-the-wheel situation usually when you go to reinvent-the-wheel you a) don't really learn too much and b) end up with a crappy wheel.

Reply to
bitrex

Asking what the best thing is is always the wrong approach. But the OP said 'What is the best way to select a transistor for an oscillator ?'

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No he didn't. He asked "what is the best way to select a transistor".

Reply to
Clifford Heath