How to reformat usb flash drive?

I have a 1gig flash drive with some software "U3 system" installed.
All the files are read only and can't be deleted, and I get an error
if I try to change the attributes to archive. The format option is not
available. There are 3 files listed as Autorun.inf, LaunchPad.zip, and
LaunchU3.exe with no free space remaining.

Anybody know how to dump the files and reformat as a regular flash
disk, so I can read and write to it?

-Bill

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

You can try this

  Drop to a CMD (DOS box/command line) and

   attrib -R drive:\Path\*.*

  if that partition isn't locked, It may work..

  You can do a attrib drive:\path\
    just to see what files are there that maybe hidden, also.

Who knows.

  Jamie

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?
On Sun, 01 May 2011 21:08:00 -0400, Jamie

  Trying to "save" or "use" or "revive" a 1GB flash is ludicrous.

  You can buy 8GB for less than $10 with no partition games.

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243608-32-remove-smart-software-sandisk-flash-drive

Google "U3 removal".

--
Les Cargill

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

Yes, I think I spoke too soon. After playing around with the thing, I
discovered a way to reset the password which also deletes all the data
files. Apparently this thing is designed so if lost the data is
unreadable without a password, but you can always start over with a
new password. Interesting idea. So, it works fairly well now with
almost a gig of free space. I managed to drag a few files from the C
drive to the usb drive and read them back from the usb. The only
problem is the driver software has to be installed on any PC where the
thing is used.

Thanks,

-Bill

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

For the Sandisk Cruzer? No, I've got those and they work on all PCs.
Sans prior SW installation. Ok, they don't work on really old ones from
the pre-XP days. I think that it is one of the touted features of U3 not
to need any software except what's on the USB drive itself.

Since I also dislike those "free" softwares that come with such
merchandise I was just about to hose it off with a cleanser program that
I think Sandisk provides. Then it dawned on me that this password
feature is actually very practical. You can carry files around in your
pocket. Even if someone beats you over the head and takes everything, I
don't think that anyone other than maybe the secret service would be
able to get at the data without knowing the password. AFAIR these drives
(or at least some of them) even go into lockdown mode if repeated
attempts to feed random passwords are discovered.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

I must have done something wrong. The first machine I tried required
resetting the password which erased all the data. Then I copied a few
files to make sure it was working, but when I connected the updated
usb drive to a second machine, it simply installed the drivers and
gave me access to the data disk without entering a password.

-Bill

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

If you want it to be password-protected I believe you have to re-enable
the password feature first, then copy files onto it. Then a U3 screen
should come up on the other computer prompting you to enter the
password. On really old computers a USB drive configured that way won't
work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

Yes, I think that's right. I discovered if I click on the little U3
icon it brings up a menu to enable/disable security, add programs,
explore the disk, etc. I enabled security and it now asks for a
password.

-Bill

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

You might have to be logged in as "administrator" or "root," depending
on your OS.

Good Luck!
Rich

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/disable-remove-and-uninstall-u3-launchpad /

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?
On a sunny day (Sun, 1 May 2011 17:47:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Bowden

In Linux (use a live CD if you have no Linux)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/whatever bs10%24 count10%00000
Something like that will just clear every byte on that device.
Then use
fdisk /dev/whatever
to make new partitions,
after that you can format it with whatever filesystem you want.

But maybe it has some write protect switch?
For example on SDcards not all readers respect that switch.
Need more info.

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

U3 is Sandisk's scheme for password-protecting a Windows volume;
it has a bit of the USB drive partitioned off for an autoload software
wedge, and truly reformatting the memory stick requires the
Sandisk administrator software (Windows only, which is a nuisance
for Mac or Linux users).   The device won't honor generic USB mass-storage
controls for that protected volume with U3 on it.

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?
On a sunny day (Mon, 2 May 2011 10:34:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd

OIC, well no Sandisk then for me :-)
I do have some Sandisk xGB micro SD IIRC.

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?
On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:32:27 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Removing the offending U3 crap is simple.  See Mike's link earlier.

Re: How to reformat usb flash drive?

What does 'simple' mean?  The uninstaller has to be downloaded,
and run on a Windows machine, before you can reclaim the storage
in that little add-on partition (and obliterate the useless icon).

My computers are Mac/Linux/Windows in the ratio 13:5:3.   Getting
the U3 removed was a nuisance (and if that '3' were a zero, it'd be
worse than a nuisance).

Site Timeline