How to provide different voltages to the user, through a single channel (switching)?.

Hi folks:

I have a question.

From an I/O card I want to provide a variable output voltage to

energize some little solenoids. In the board I have regulated 5, 12, and 24 volts, and those are the voltages I want to deliver. I think I can deliver more or less

300mA per channel (lets say: 5V-300mA, 12V-300mA, 24V-300mA). The last are conservative values.

The important thing is: the output should be directed to the user by using a single medium. So the user will have available 5, 12, XOR

24, but not all at the same time. Nonetheless, those voltages are still being used within the board, for some other tasks.

So, I am wondering, which technology to use for achieving that???

High side drivers and mosfets? (to switch between channels). (I dont like the space requirements) Another smarter solution?

Drawing:

5 ------- | 12 ------- --------- output | 24 -------

Best Regards...

Franco.

Reply to
Franco

try lm317 or send me email with more details on my private st snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com with subject lm317 not good for my application then I will connect you with the other solutions

Reply to
st_yar

Hi, unfortunately I have to use the voltages I have available and not to generate them again. The chip is also too big for my design. Space is an important constraint in this case.

Cheers...

Franco.

Reply to
Franco

--
If you have to supply power to ground-referred loads, then I'd go
with P channel enhanced mode MOSFETS or PNP transistors.

Hi, the switching control will be done by a microcontroller on board.

I am looking for P channel enhanced mode mosfet. Do I need a high side gate driver for driving them?

Cheers...

Franco.

Reply to
Franco

Does it have to be able to change on the fly? (or do you have the luxury of using a miniature rotary or slide switch or jumper or move a terminal to a different position?)

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
joseph2k

Hi Joseph, it must be able to change on the fly, but speed is not important.

I have a microcontroller with some pins available to make the switching.

Cheers...

Franco.

Reply to
Franco

In that case i recommend two "TO-5" relays (actually in a TO-99 8 pin can, like an old op-amp). Two of them should have a smaller footprint than three reed relays. You probably will need transistors to drive the relays either way.

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
joseph2k

Late at night, by candle light, Franco penned this immortal opus:

How do you distribute to the appropriate solenoid(s) on the receiving side, or how will you know which solenoid is connected?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

In our system, the user is responsible for that connection.

Greetings...

Franco.

Reply to
Franco