How to make a Voltage Controlled Oscillator

Connect the lamp to the gate of the thyristor, discharge the cap through the thyristor. That solves the turn off problem, especially as the thyristor hold current is much higher then that of a lamp.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

555.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Oct 26, 4:02 pm, Cem Uzunoglu

Sure it is - and nice to study too.

Of course they are, with cap C1 they set the VCO response Hz/V.

AOP #1 is an amplifier w/ gain +1 or -1 (R1=R2) depending of the conduction of Q1. AOP #2 is an integrator w/ time constant R3*C1. AOP #3 is a trigger with treshold R8/R7.

Not the simplest, but quite fine for audio.

Reply to
John

You're just baiting Bill Sloman, aren't you, Rich? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Like this...

Add OpAmps to the current mirror turn-arounds to improve headroom and get more tuning range.

Square-wave? Run twice as fast, then divide-by-2 with a D-Flop. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Well, believe it or not I do. My phone's ringtone is a 10khz pulsed sine wave. In fact I just checked with a frequency generator patch on my PC, I was still hearing about 16khz, then it fell down quite fast after that. It can be that my hearing curve comes to and abrupt end there, or the nyquist effect from my 44.1khz sampling rate sound card kills it.

But I admit many people don't hear >8khz and it is musically m00t. So let's say 8khz.

Reply to
Cem Uzunoglu

It depends on age. When I was young I could hear the 15.625kHz whine from TV sets (line frequency). It stopped irriatating me sometime in my twenties.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Well, he did say, "simple." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But did that apply to the VCO, the 555, or Slowman.

Reply to
krw

Ken S. Tucker:

I hope so. :D

--
Saluti
Reply to

I have a _severe_ drop-off above 2kHz... mostly affecting movie and TV watching right now. Ordinary conversation I don't seem to have much trouble. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Why? Do you want to die?
Reply to
John Fields

Cem Uzunoglu:

I believe what you say, I just don't believe that what you're hearing is 10 kHz, unless, by "hearing", you mean "feeling a weird, rather unpleasant noise".

In my first job I drew the PCB for a graphic terminal, but my most appreciated ability was to spot immediately if the newly programmed synch generator was working within the CRT's specs.

Let's say 4186 Hz.

--
Saluti
Reply to

--
I'm still running at about 16kHz on the high end, but I sometimes have
trouble deciphering meaning from the Golden Girls' schtick.

What would you attribute that to ?
Reply to
John Fields

Recall the chart I posted. Observe the sounds noted by a letter mark at various SPL. That's where all the intelligibility is. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

John Fields:

Not in the next five years.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

You aren't fluent in 'Old lady'? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

4186 Hz it is then. I can't say no to you after all that :)
Reply to
Cem Uzunoglu

Cem Uzunoglu:

:)

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Yes. That was the idea. A basic 8 bit ladder DAC connected to a microcontroller. But as I understood the complexities like thermal effects and tuning the oscillator to get even an octave of tuned sounds out of 8 bits, This seems to be getting very complex for such a simple project.

There are some digitally controlled oscillators, but they are just too simple to control. They don't pose any challenge, and what is a hobby without a challenge? I think I'll implement the oscillator and do the mixing in the microcontroller.

You know guys, this always happens. Whenever I want to do something the analog way, it always turns out to be too complex for a hobby project. I guess I now understand why even the simplest machines by todays standards were really expensive back in the day.

I never used a UJT, but 555 was my first IC, I programmed PICs and I run Linux. :) I guess the art of analog circuits is kind of lost on my generation.

Cheers! Cem

Reply to
Cem Uzunoglu