How to get the damaging leaked University of East Anglia CRU files about AGW

Enter the Validation Code and click on "download file". Free, no registration required. Took me 4 minutes.

Sorry if you already know all this but I've been amazingly busy recently and haven't been in the groups or keeping up with the news much.

Graham

Others I like ....

"World Climate Report, a concise, hard-hitting and scientifically correct response to the global change reports which gain attention in the literature and popular press. As the nation?s leading publication in this realm, World Climate Report is exhaustively researched, impeccably referenced, and always timely. This popular web log points out the weaknesses and outright fallacies in the science that is being touted as ?proof? of disastrous warming. It?s the perfect antidote against those who argue for proposed changes to the Rio Climate Treaty, such as the Kyoto Protocol, which are aimed at limiting carbon emissions from the United States.

Acclaimed by those on both sides of the global warming debate, World Climate Report has become the definitive and unimpeachable source for what Nature now calls the ?mainstream skeptic? point of view, which is that climate change is a largely overblown issue and that the best expectation is modest change over the next 100 years. WCR is often cited by prominent scientists and lawmakers and is a surprisingly enjoyable read?which may account for its broad appeal."

"04 December 2009

Amateur scientist Willis Eschenbach, who resides in Honiara, Solomon Islands, has studied changes in sea level and coral. His unsuccessful Freedom of Information Act requests to obtain climate data from East Anglia University?s Hadley Climatic Research Unit (CRU) figured in the Climategate scandal described in this month?s Editorial. He described his unsuccessful attempts to receive information in "The People Versus the Climate Research Unit (CRU)," an 11,000-word article that has been published on various blogs. It is presented here without editing and with the permission of the author. Editor

The People Versus the Climate Research Unit (CRU)

by Willis Eschenbach

As far as I know, I am the person who made the original Freedom Of Information Act to CRU that started getting all this stirred up. I was trying to get access to the taxpayer funded raw data out of which they built the global temperature record. I was not representing anybody, or trying to prove a point. I am not funded by Mobil, I?m an amateur scientist with a lifelong interest in the weather and climate. I?m not "directed" by anyone, I?m not a member of a right-wing conspiracy. I?m just a guy trying to move science forwards.

People seem to be missing the real issue in the discussion of the hacked CRU climate emails. Gavin Schmidt over at RealClimate keeps distracting people by saying the issue is the scientists being nasty to each other, and what Trenberth said, and the Nature "trick", and the like. Those are side trails that he would like people to follow. To me, the main issue is the frontal attack on the heart of science, which is transparency.

Science works by one person making a claim, and backing it up with the data and methods that they used to make the claim. Other scientists then attack the claim by (among other things) trying to replicate the first scientist?s work. If they can?t replicate it, it doesn?t stand. So blocking my Freedom of Information request for his data allowed Phil Jones to claim that his temperature record was valid science, even though it has never been scientifically examined.

This is not just trivial gamesmanship, this is central to the very idea of scientific inquiry. This is an attack on the heart of science, by keeping people who disagree with you from ever checking your work and seeing if your math is correct.

The recent release of the hacked emails from CRU has provided me with an amazing insight into the attempt by myself, Steve McIntyre, and others from CA and elsewhere to obtain the raw station data from Phil Jones at the CRU. We wanted the data that was used to make the global temperature record that is relied on to claim "unprecedented" global warming. This is a chronological account of my attempts to get that vital data released to public view.

A few housekeeping notes first. While we don?t know if all of these emails are valid, the comments of the researchers involved such as Gavin Schmidt and Michael Mann clearly indicate that they think the emails are authentic. The emails certainly fit with my experience. I have only included the relevant parts of emails, and indicated where I have snipped text by an ellipsis (...). Numbers of the emails are in parentheses. "Codes" is shorthand for the computer programs used to analyze the data.

CRU is the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia (UEA), arguably the top climate research unit in the world. Dr. Phil Jones is the Director of CRU. CA is ClimateAudit, a web site run by Steve McIntyre that audits scientific papers for errors of all types. MM is Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick, who have authored papers together. Michael Mann is one of the three authors, with Bradley and Hughes, of the now discredited iconic "Hockeystick" paper that was heavily promoted by the UN IPCC. The Hockeystick paper claimed this is the warmest period in six hundred years. The Hockeystick paper was discredited largely through the efforts of Steve McIntyre, so Michael Mann and the others do not like Steve at all. Gavin Schmidt is a climate modeler that runs a web site called RealClimate. This purports to be a scientific blog, but the CRU emails confirm that it is a well-controlled mouthpiece for Michael Mann and others who believe in anthropogenic (human-caused) global warming (AGW). RealClimate ruthlessly censors comments and questions, in stark contrast to ClimateAudit, which allows free expression of any scientific questions and ideas. (Although in response to the intense scrutiny caused by the emails, RealClimate immediately started accepting a number of opposing comments for the first time. This is a smart move, as newcomers will be fooled into thinking there is no censorship ? but the emails prove otherwise.)

The IPCC is the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. AR4 is the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report (2007). WMO is the World Meteorological Organization, which collates and supplies weather information. FOI or FOIA is the UK Freedom of Information Act.

The story actually starts with Warwick Hughes, an Australian climate researcher who had previously been in cordial contact with Phil Jones. I find only one email in the archive (0969308954) where Phil emails Warwick, from 2000. This is in response to some inconsistencies that Warwick had found in Phil?s work:

Warwick Hughes to Phil Jones, September '04:

Dear Phillip and Chris Folland (with your IPCC hat on),

Some days ago Chris I emailed to Tom Karl and you replied re the grid cells in north Siberia with no stations, yet carrying red circle grid point anomalies in the TAR Fig 2.9 global maps. I even sent a gif file map showing the grid cells barren of stations greyed out. You said this was due to interpolation and referred me to Phillip and procedures described in a submitted paper. In the last couple of days I have put up a page detailing shortcomings in your TAR Fig 2.9 maps in the north Siberian region, everything is specified there with diagrams and numbered grid points.

[1] One issue is that two of the interpolated grid cells have larger anomalies than the parent cells !!!!?????

This must be explained.

[2] Another serious issue is that obvious non-homogenous warming in Olenek and Verhojansk is being interpolated through to adjoining grid cells with no stations, like cancer.

[3] The third serious issue is that the urbanization affected trend from the Irkutsk grid cell neare Lake Baikal, looks to be interpolated into its western neighbour.

I am sure there are many other cases of this, 2 and 3 happening.

Best regards,

Warwick Hughes (I have sent this to CKF)

Phil to Warwick, same email:

Warwick,

I did not think I would get a chance today to look at the web page. I see what boxes you are referring to. The interpolation procedure cannot produce larger anomalies than neighbours (larger values in a single month). If you have found any of these I will investigate. If you are talking about larger trends then that is a different matter. Trends say in Fig 2.9 for the 1976-99 period require 16 years to have data and at least 10 months in each year. It is conceivable that at there are 24 years in this period that missing values in some boxes influence trend calculation. I would expect this to be random across the globe.

Warwick,

Been away. Just checked my program and the interpolation shouldn?t produce larger anomalies than the neighbouring cells. So can you send me the cells, months and year of the two cells you?ve found ? If I have this I can check to see what has happened and answer (1). As for (2) and (3) we compared all stations with neighbours and these two stations did not have problems when the work was done (around 1985/6). I am not around much for the next 3 weeks but will be here most of this week and will try to answer (1) if I get more details. If you have the names of stations that you?ve compared Olenek and Verhojansk with I would appreciate that.

Cheers

Phil

OK, so far we have a couple of scientists discussing issues in a scientific work, usual tone, no problem. But as he found more inconsistencies, in order to understand what was going on, in 2005 Warwick asked Phil for the dataset that was used to create the CRU temperature record. Phil Jones famously replied:

Subject: Re: WMO non respondo

? Even if WMO agrees, I will still not pass on the data. We have 25 or so years invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you, when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it. ?

Cheers Phil

Hmmm ? not a good start. Or as they say in the novel "1984", double-plus ungood. Science can only progress if there is a free exchange of scientific data. The scientific model works like this:

  • A scientist makes claims, and reveals the data and methods he used to come to his conclusions. * Other scientists who don?t agree attack the claim by (inter alia) seeing if they can replicate the result, using the first scientist?s data and methods. * If the claims cannot be replicated, the claim is adjudged to be false.

Obviously, if the data or the methods are kept secret, the claims cannot be verified. Attacking other scientist?s claims is what what scientists do, that's their job description. This adversarial system is the heart of science. Phil Jones refusing scientific data because someone will attack it is an oxymoron, of course they will attack it. That's science.

When I found out about Phil Jones saying this, I couldn?t believe it. I thought, a scientist can?t do that, can he? He can't refuse to reveal his data. This is science, not hide and seek. I literally didn't think Jones had been quoted correctly. So to find out, I wrote to the University of East Anglia (of which the CRU is a Department) on September 8, 2006, saying:

I would like to obtain a list of the meteorological stations used in the preparation of the HadCRUT3 global temperature average, and the raw data for those stations. I cannot find it anywhere on the web. The lead author for the temperature average is Dr. Phil Jones of the Climate Research Unit.

Many thanks, Willis Eschenbach

I got no response from Phil Jones or anyone at CRU or UEA. So I filed a Freedom of Information act request for the data.

Now at this point, let me diverge from my application to what was happening at CRU before and during this time. The first reference to Freedom of Information in their emails is from 2005, before they had received a single request. Immediately, they start to plan how to evade requests should some come in:

Tom Wigley, Former Director of CRU, to Phil Jones, 21/01/2005

Phil,

?

I got a brochure on the FOI Act from UEA. Does this mean that, if someone asks for a computer program we have to give it out?? Can you check this for me (and Sarah). ...

Thanks,

Tom.

Phil replies to Tom:

Tom,

?

On the FOI Act there is a little leaflet we have all been sent. It doesn?t really clarify what we might have to do re programs or data. Like all things in Britain we will only find out when the first person or organization asks. I wouldn?t tell anybody about the FOI Act in Britain. I don?t think UEA really knows what?s involved.

As you?re no longer an employee I would use this argument if anything comes along. I think it is supposed to mainly apply to issues of personal information ? references for jobs etc.

Phil

So the coverup starts immediately, even before the first request. "I wouldn?t tell anyone about the FOI act in Britain".

Tom to Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply. The leaflet appeared so general, but it was prepared by UEA so they may have simplified things. From their wording, computer code would be covered by the FOIA. My concern was if Sarah is/was still employed by UEA. I guess she could claim that she had only written one tenth of the code and release every tenth line.

?

Tom

You can see how they plan to observe the spirit of the FOI Act. Claim a temporary employee isn't really an employee so they are not covered.

Phil to Tom

Tom,

?

As for FOIA Sarah isn?t technically employed by UEA and she will likely be paid by Manchester Metropolitan University. I wouldn?t worry about the code. If FOIA does ever get used by anyone, there is also IPR to consider as well. Data is covered by all the agreements we sign with people, so I will be hiding behind them. I?ll be passing any requests onto the person at UEA who has been given a post to deal with them.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Jones has just gotten the news that FOI will apply, and immediately he starts to plan how he is going to hide from an FOI request. Cite technicalities, claim IPR (Intellectual Property Rights), those are good hiding places.

The next email (1109021312) is later in 2005:

At 09:41 AM 2/2/2005, Phil Jones wrote to Michael Mann:

Mike,

?

Just sent loads of station data to Scott. Make sure he documents everything better this time ! And don?t leave stuff lying around on ftp sites ? you never know who is trawling them. The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I?ll delete the file rather than send to anyone. Does your similar act in the US force you to respond to enquiries within 20 days? ? our does ! The UK works on precedents, so the first request will test it.

We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind. Tom Wigley has sent me a worried email when he heard about it ? thought people could ask him for his model code. He has retired officially from UEA so he can hide behind that. IPR should be relevant here, but I can see me getting into an argument with someone at UEA who?ll say we must adhere to it !

?.

Phil

So now we have two more ways for Phil to hide from the FOI Act ? along with a threat to delete the data rather than release it. Astounding. And this is before they've even received a single FOI request.

Mann replies to Jones:

Thanks Phil,

Yes, we?ve learned out lesson about FTP. We?re going to be very careful in the future what gets put there. Scott really screwed up big time when he established that directory so that Tim could access the data.

Yeah, there is a freedom of information act in the U.S., and the contrarians are going to try to use it for all its worth. But there are also intellectual property rights issues, so it isn?t clear how these sorts of things will play out ultimately in the U.S?.

mike

Next, from February 05. Jones to Mann, cc to Hughes and Bradley, co-authors of the "hockeystick" study (1109021312)

From: Phil Jones:

To: mann

Subject: Fwd: CCNet: PRESSURE GROWING ON CONTROVERSIAL RESEARCHER TO DISCLOSE SECRET DATA [This was in reference to the pressure on Michael Mann to release the "Hockeystick" data]

Date: Mon Feb 21 16:28:32 2005

Cc: "raymond s. bradley", "Malcolm Hughes"

Mike, Ray and Malcolm,

?

Leave it to you to delete as appropriate !

Cheers

Phil

PS I?m getting hassled by a couple of people to release the CRU station temperature data. Don?t any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act !

The first rule of the Freedom of Information act is ? nobody talks about the Freedom of Information Act ...........

And much more. It comes to 11,000 words total.

Reply to
Eeyore

ose

nter

be

ul

Thank you, Graham.

Apparently it's just as many have long suspected and "Global Warming" is a fraudulent political/economic power grab. It is the worst type of outrage and now is the time to stop it.

I received an email from an engineer I've known since the 1970s, whom I deeply respect for both his intelligence and his objectiveness. I will post it, below.

There is a link to a PDF file that lays out and summarizes much of the outrageous climate data tampering that has been foisted on the public. It also involves some entities in the USA. I recommend reading the PDF in its entirety.

Cheers,

Tom

Here is the email I received:

As you may know, a hacker accessed information illegally concealed by the East Anglia Climate Research Unit (CRU) in Britain, on Nov 20 of this year. The materials recovered included emails between the co- conspirators as well as portions of the software code used to modify actual climate data to create the appearance of a global warming crisis. These materials are being reviewed by legitimate scientists and software engineers around the globe in order to understand the full extent of the crimes committed by the global warming fraudsters. Not surprisingly, little is being said about it by most media outlets in the US, though some strident global warming supporters (BBC, Australian news outlets) have broken ranks and started reporting the truth. President Barack =93I=92ve never seen a spending bill I didn=92t like=94 Obama continues to ignore the building outcry, but some congressional Republicans are picking up on it.

Over the next two weeks it is important that the White House and our congressional representatives hear from the public that we=92re not interesting in paying =93reparations=94 to third world countries for alleged contributions to the man-made global warming that exists only in the imaginations of the global warming scammers. Obama has indicated that he plans to support these payments, and his EPA administrators this week declared the carbon dioxide that occurs naturally in our atmosphere and without which life would be impossible to be a =93pollutant=94 so they can force punitive taxes on the American people without Congress having to stick their necks out. If you don=92t like paying $2.65 per gallon for gas, I guarantee you won=92t like the results of the Obama administration=92s =93solution=94 to this non-problem.

You can read a preliminary analysis of the materials obtained from the CRU at:

This report explains in clear terms some of the methods the CRU used to misrepresent real temperature data as well as their efforts to conceal their fraud. It has a great section on how science is supposed to work, and how the CRU=92s work falls far short of scientific standards for openness and integrity. Share it with your friends and contact your representatives before Obama commits the US to paying third world countries for natural variations in earth=92s climate.

Reply to
Tom Gootee

m.

Below is something else I received.

Cheers,

Tom

Increasingly, the evidence reveals the massive fraud perpetrated by Global Warming Scammers.

Lord Monckton's excellent speech on the subject, in which he identifies 8 of the main Scammer criminals, can be seen at

/8023097 .

Watch it, tell your friends about it, and urge your Congressional representatives to view it too. You can contact your Senators at

and your Representative at

Do it soon, do it often, or these criminals will succeed in helping Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid steal your money in the name of non-existent anthropogenic global warming.

Reply to
Tom Gootee

Lord Monckton is from the UK's lunatic fringe equivalent of the US rednecked f****it brand of "Dittohead Science". Nothing he says can be trusted.

CRU's sins such as they are were an attempt to keep denialist propaganda out of peer reviewed journals. It is a bit naughty of them but in no way does it alter the scientific evidence or weaken the case for AGW except in the minds of delusional right whingers. And the braying donkey...

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:40:21 +0000) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

The only donkey here is you who are manipulated by the Gore media to part with some more of your money for environment related taxes. Attempt to qualify for plonk file noted.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Looks like an ad-hominem to me.

To keep *what they regarded as* denialist propaganda out of the peer reviewed journals. But who's to judge, in absence of data?

It's more than a bit naughty. It's not their roll to determine what their peers should, or should not, see.

So, given the trouble that strategy is now causing, they'll release all the data, and allow such people as are capable to form their own views?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Agreed, it's amusing that the deniers need to childishly posture their words to try and give them some emphasis:

"How to get the ***damaging*** ***leaked**** University of East Anglia CRU files about AGW"

Reply to
Nik Rim

Yea Gore is in it just for the humanity of it!

Al Gore, the world's first carbon billionaire?

His concern for the common peasant is touching as he fleeces them with his paranoid delusion. Reminds me of a snake oil salesman. I didn't really think people were still so naive.

People ramble on about how the so called denialist all have financial incentive for there views well so do the warmest.

Reply to
Hammy

Those files are damaging, well more damaging then the disaster the global warming hoax left their pseudo science already in. And childish is scaring little children with climate change or warming as AL Gore does in his fake unscientific propaganda movies for his crappy alternative energy solution businesses. Childish is also trying to manipulate the peer review process (not that it is worth very much anyways as current science clearly shows) to get better notes, they must have cheated in school too, so that accounts for their stupidity then.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We have other data. Ice shelves disappearing at both poles, polar bears ditto, dry water holes in central North America, Russia and Denmark making territorial claims in anticipation of an open Arctic ocean. Warming it is. Was it human caused? Who knows?

Reply to
Jitt

What are your data sources?

for example it is claimed the bear population was 5000 in the 1950's and is 20,000 to 25,000 today.

Note the answer doesn't question these figures but wanders off at starts talking about individual sub populations and the potential threat of ice loss.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

I would be very interested to look at any precipitation time series for the Arctic or Antarctic or any time series for areas above continental glaciers for at least one century.

I have not been able to determine, if the reduction of the area of floating ice and inland glaciers is due to excessive melting due to high air temperature or low precipitation.

Without such precipitation time series, why would any serious person believe in claims that the reduction of the area of sea ice or continental glacier is due to claimed AGW ?

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

What if he says something that's true? Will you deny that because of the source?

That was a rhetorical question. Of course you will.

John

Do you realize how absurd that list is?

John

..

ic

If someone says something _new_ I'll look at it.

If someone says the same nonsense I've heard 400,000 times before, i.e., creationism "science," then why bother?

There are so many similarities between the evolution deniers and the AGW deniers and the Hawaiian birth certificate deniers and the Holocaust deniers and the equality of races deniers and . . . well its easy to lump all the wing a ding dingers together under the umbrella term "today's Republican."

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

On a sunny day (Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:47:35 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bret Cahill wrote in :

For an idiot all issues look the same: idiotic.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the

n..=3D

tif=3D

an=3D

A lot of "climategate" is hyped by GOP strategists who know full well AGW is a real threat but are cynically exploiting the ignorant GOP base. The fallout is already here.

Some of the GOP base are already believing that all scientists are evil. These are not the usual false flag posts either.

Just as fundies go around shooting "abortionists" maybe someday this will get so bad that AGW deniers in the base will soon be shooting scientists and mathematicians.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

You didn't know that AGW caused oil to leak under the Arctic Ocean floor?

Reply to
krw

Like he said, to an idiot all issues look the same.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:16:54 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bret Cahill wrote in :

It is all Al Gore's business scheme. Consider this:

Temperature has always changed, and always will, ice ages will come, and ice ages will go, the world will look very different. If human activity contributes much is not proven in any way. We should really make sure we have the power sources to handle climate change, and not waste time and money on unreliable solutions. That means nuclear energy, and try to get fusion working, The rest like solar and wind is too little to make a lot of difference, can maybe cover a few percent of our energy needs. We need energy 24/7 all the time.

To blame it all on 'republicans' is silly, the world is bigger then the US, much bigger, in fact US is just under control of some internationals. And those are moving production to China... both republicans and democrats losing power of global politics in the process.

All these points you mentioned have nothing to do with each other, only for the simple minded do they look like the same thing.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje