How to generate ODB++ from older PADS version?

Folks,

A contract assembler wants ODB++ and my layouter uses PADS 3.1 which can't do that on its own. Does anyone know how a trick to generate this output from a PADS 3.1 file?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The current version of PADS (VX.1) will import ancient layout files, and can output ODB++.

We may be able to do it for you. I'll ask tomorrow.

Thanks, John, that would be nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi, Joerg,

I think we can do it. Email me the .PCB file and we'll convert it to the new PADS format and make the ODB files too. We'll also convert the .SCH file to new PADS format if you want; that should take about 20 seconds.

We'll have to learn how to do this sooner or later, and Mike has some time now.

Sent. Thanks, John, that is very nice!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mike just did it. You open the file in PADS and hit file/saveas/ODB. Takes seconds.

But he looked at it in a viewer and didn't like the top layer: the pads are missing or something. Mentor is looking into that for us.

Thanks, John. I told them not to use the files for productuion just yet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So far, all our fab houses seem happy with Gerbers, but the ODB thing may be the future. If it's possible, let us know if your board house likes the ODBs that Mike made.

The current PADS will read all old PADS files, even from dynoDOS days, and save in the new format. PADS does not need library access to open or change old files; all the parts are embedded in the .SCH and .PCB files, which is cool.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I sure will but I'll hold back until Mentor says the files are ok. Missing pads on the top layer could ruin the day.

PADS seems to be a very nice tool. I can open their files in a viewer and never have to go through all the hoops of Gerber importing until the last layout round is done. It's also very nice later during debug to find "Where the heck is C183?" ... click ... aha, there it is!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mike called Mentor and got the ODB settings figured out. Mentor support is excellent. The file should be OK now, but I sure wish thst you would test it for us!

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Does that mean the ones you guys originally sent originally to me were ok? I didn't get a new file set from Mike.

The test would happen if the board house submits a decent quote, there isn't any other way we could test the file. But if they take the job and make prototypes I sure will let you know.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mike sent you the files after he fixed the settings. Should be OK.

I guess we should ODB one of our boards and ask one of our fab houses if it looks OK to them.

Gerber format is 50 years old or something. The original Gerber machine had x-y actuators that moved a light box with an aperarture disk over a sheet of film.