How to develop a random number generation device

Hi,

I'm a researcher. As a part of my project work I want to desing a random number generated and displayed on a LCD/ LED module. Can anybody help me out in this.

Thiagu

Reply to
thiagu1978

Maybe you should research how to generate random numbers.

Displaying a number is not very complex, maybe as simple as: "printf("%d", x);"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Do they have to be truly random or will pseudo-random do?

What range do you need them to go over?

If you have a laptop with an LCD, go here:

What next?

Reply to
MooseFET

Typically, the microcontroller that you use has a random number generator (it may not be truly random, of course) which is "good enough" for most school projects (I am assuming this is a school project here)

I remember using PIC and Motorola microcontrollers a few years ago and they both had some way of getting a random number. I just had to "scale" the numbers so they ended up in the ranges I wanted.

What microcontroller are you using? Try looking up its user guide for the assembly/c/BASIC command to get random numbers.

Mahurshi Akilla

Reply to
Mahurshi Akilla

Get a piece of cesium-137 for $79.00, like from here:

Set it up next to a radiation counter, like a Geiger-Mueller tube or something (would a PV cell catch betas or gammas?), and use its output to clock a counter or pseudorandom generator.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

  1. Take a radio, tune it away from stations.
  2. Connect the radio to the input of a sound card.
  3. Compute the 1/16 hash of the wave input.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

OK, I'm an ignoramus, but what's a "1/16 hash" - I know what a hash is, and I know what 1/16 means, but I can't imagine what 1/16 of a hash could be.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The quantity of the random numbers at the output should not exceed the entropy of the incoming noise like signal. Otherwise the random numbers will not be truly random; there will be the statistical dependencies.

The simple way to deal with this problem is computing a hash of the incoming data. So you generate one random word from 16 incoming words. The 1/16 will make a near perfect randomness taking the radio noise spectrum and the typical audio sampling rate into the account.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Same here, my first guess was about drugs, but I don't think Valdimir would be into that sort of thing

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Search on pseudo-random binary sequence generators. Wikipedia has a good general entry on the subject.

One way of getting a pseudo-random binary sequence is with a linear feedback shift register - if you exclusive-OR the output with a couple of carefully selected taps along the shift register you can guarantee that the content of the shift register goes through all but one of tis possible combinations.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

OK, now I can understand.

BTW, once long ago, when we just moved to the US, I designed a schematics. I noticed that this schematics always raised the mood of a person who was looking at it. Later, they explained it to me. The reason was the refdes: one of the fuses was marked as FU2.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

what he's means in sort, is take a reading from the results every 1/16 of the total samples you acquired while recording the white/pink noise from the receiver. this will give you a random set of values. Hash is just a slang for noise that is unintelligent able. Something you hear from FM radio while tuned on a dead area of the band with MUTE off.

How ever, this doesn't help if you have to get a computer involved! this means you would have to have something like a PIC,AVR or even a Serial ROM chip that up load the data information so that you can play it back to reference the signals for random control of the LED's

I think there is a better way to generate random signals at a more basic level.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

When I was a tech in the USAF, they'd use a number to designate a particular sub-unit, and everyone's favorite component was the second transistor on the fourth unit: 4Q2. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

These things come up from time to time - does anyone know if there's an algorithm for selecting taps for the maximum-length sequence, or is it just by-guess-and-by-gosh?

Don L? Any ideas here?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's often more than just a couple of the taps and, with a little ingenuity, the "lockup" state can be included in the sequence.

--
JF
Reply to

Ever hear of MIL-TFP-41C? :)

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

--
Depending on the period, there\'s generally more than just one
maximal-length sequence, but I\'m not aware of any algorithm which
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

The rules of thumb appears to be:

  1. Prime numbers tend to make good taps.
  2. Good taps tends to have an even number of bits.
Reply to
slebetman

here:

A simpler/cheaper set-up is the good old :

Uses the avalanche noise from a reverse biased PN junction.

Reply to
slebetman

The taps should represent a primitive polynomial in GF(2^n). The algorithm is similar to the search of the prime numbers: you pick a polynomial of a degree n and try to factor it by dividing by all of the prime polynomials up to degree n/2. There are not too many of the primitive polynomials, so this procedure is fairly fast.

Vladimir Vassilevsky