How to create an inductor 2.mH with a toroid core ferrite?

It's not unheard-of to heatsink a transformer. Thru-bolt attach to a pot core, or package in a cast or extruded aluminum box with potting compound.

On the large side, pole pig transformers have an oil bath and pipe for radiator surfaces.

Reply to
whit3rd

You should have looked at a nickel-zinc ferrite core. Nothing else is resistive enough to work with a 5MHz pulse stream - the pulses have harmonic content up from 5MHz to an upper limit set by the pulse width.

They don't offer particulary high permeabilities, but you don't tend to need much at those sorts of frequencies.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

_5179.JPG

o_it_IMG_6111.JPG

vered

And silvered copper wire tends to be electroplated, and electroplated silve r is less conductive than bulk silver. You could probably flash heat the el ectroplated layer with a fast power laser, and melt the silver layer withou t letting it alloy with the copper. Using silver-plated wire for RF coils i s a ham tradition, but serious engineers haven't bother for decades now.

ers

not move about.

But ham-handed operators are unavoidable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Magnetostriction will create vibration. 5MHz means the amplitude won't be much, but the fracture mechanics depend on energy levels, not just amplitude.

What's the objection to dropping a 90 degree angle through the board at each end of the coil?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Some applications let you select two pulses next to each other, etc. A duty-cycle kind of thing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

1200 volt, 7 ns pulses arcing to the water-cooled plate 50 mils below the PCB.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

This inductor is heat sunk. It needs to be.

Pot cores are usually electrically conductive. I have 1200 volts here.

Potting is a mess.

I can wind this coil in one minute. It works fine.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What is that, a 1.2kV flyback inductor?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Ah, I can see that would be a problem.

Well, just make sure the solder fillet radius is big enough to relieve the stress riser, and test it.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Top secret, but sort of a matching network that I didn't expect to get hot. Designed by Spice fiddling, so I barely understand how it works.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 01 Jul 2019 16:20:57 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Ceramic coil formers do make heatsinks, and if mounted vertical can be made mechanical rigid. You could tap into the heatsink for mounting. that would draw away heat from the ceramic. The coil top connection lead length would add some inductance, matter of testings if it works. Or mount the ceramic former horizontal with brackets screwed into the heatsink below, some epoxy perhaps.

No thermal foam under the coil needed...

I have used those ceramic coil formers with tubes, class B output linear with 500 V anode voltage (~1 kVpp) 250 W CW, about 7 MHz, mounted on a steel plate,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nickel Zinc ferrites are less conductive than the regular managanese zinc f errites, which is why they remain useful up to hgiher frequencies.

So is designing magnetic components so that they will do the job you need t o be done.

Tinkering creates a different kind of mess.

But gets hot, and is vulnerable to mechanical deformation.

Fewer turns around a nickel zinc ferrite core might less you use heavier wi re and the assembly - including the ferrite - might dissipate less heat and might be more compact. You'd have to find your nickel zinc ferrite cores, which might take some work - they weren't high volume items when I last loo ked at them, which was a while ago.

--
Bill Sloman,
Reply to

Series-resonance peaking. Sneaky.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

But not exactly top secret. John Larkin does re-invent the wheel a little too frequently for somebody who claims to do electronic design.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

One think that's fun is to sort of randomly stick inductors into circuits to see if they speed things up, to make exponential things more critically damped. I'd like to get good with t-coils, but they are harder to manufacture than just buying inductors.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The coil could be wound tight on an alumina or AlN rod, which would spread out the heat some. A machined spiral groove would be ideal, but hard to fabricate.

The gap-pad stuff isn't bad in production. It seriously drops the coil temperature.

Epoxy is always messy, so we try to avoid that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Which p/n of gap pad are you using?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

TW-T600-2MM from 3G Shielding. It's rated 6 W/mK, which it actually does if compressed pretty good.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

with 500 V anode voltage (~1 kVpp) 250 W CW, about 7 MHz, mounted on a steel plate,

Micro-cracked alumina is machinable. The trade name is MACOR.

It's thermal conductivity isn't great, but better than air.

"Messy" just means that you haven't worked out a way to do it tidily yet.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I have their designer's kit, but they seem to have roughly zero distribution. Where do you buy it?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs