How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Not hard at all. It's up to them to prove that you did authorize the purchase. The use of the PIN might be a problem but otherwise they're going to need to provide a signature or something. If the merchant didn't get it, it goes to them. You *might* have to file a police report but doubtful. The bottom line is that the credit card companies rely on the public being assured that their money is safe. If they started blaming the customer, they lose their whole business. In most cases, it's the merchant who's going to take the hammer, anyway. Banks (via EFTS) are slightly different, however. Big banks don't give a crap about personal accounts. You're at their mercy. CUs and local banks tend to be more sensitive to such things. This is why it's better to use debit cards WITHOUT the PIN.

Reply to
krw

What's your *evidence* for that *assertion*, and in which countries do you believe it is valid?

Not might be a problem, it *is* a problem.

False.

Read, learn and inwardly digest the highly reputable websites

and

An early example was "Halifax vs Munden", easily found via google. Munden was an ex-police officer falsely convicted of fraud after complaining about phantom withdrawals.

From

"A lot of documentation on hacking payment systems has become available because of anger at the banks shifting the cost of fraud to the card-holder as a result of Chip&PIN.

"Before Chip and PIN, magnetic stripe cards and signatures were used for authorisation, if a fraudulent transaction took place a cardholder could ask for the signature on the receipt be examined against a sample of their own.

"Now banks refuse liability. ?If you act without reasonable care, you may be responsible for them?. Banks now can easily stamp card?holders with not taking enough care in keeping their PIN secret. Now only CCTV can refute the customer?s involvement.

" Academic institutes have been investigating Chip&PIN attacks. In the UK, Professor Ross Anderson of Cambridge University has been the most vocal, capturing the most media attention on this subject. Anderson and his team have been reverse engineering and documenting attacks on financial security systems for years. In the case of Chip&PIN they have even set?up a dedicated website to highlight the raw?deal card?holders are getting from Chip&PIN.

"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Do you not know that bouncing checks is information that is shared just like your credit record? Heck, I've seen people put bad checks in their windows for public display!

But then you can't resist an opportunity to call someone names. I wonder what sort of childhood you had that made you this way.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, but a decent bank will issue apology letters to creditors and telling them to resubmit the checks AND pay the fees. BTDT. Crappy banks won't. They will also clean up the credit records with "bank error" explanations. Again, BTDT.

The best solution is to not be a deadbeat, though. I'm quite sure you wouldn't understand the concept.

No, only idiots, idiot.

Reply to
krw

Totally worse than phoning your credit card company and just not having bounced checks to begin with.

Lol. You are such a troll...

LOL! You can that other one are just so compulsive. I bet they have a special name for your disorder.

I know I have seen you post without calling people idiots, but not often.

--

Rick
Reply to

Each time I log on, *before* I enter my password, my bank presents me with a unique photo that I have selected and a phrase I made up. That would be hard to spoof. I suppose someone could get a real account, then note the image you are given. This image would be presented to all the people who get spoofed and it would match some of them. But the phrase would not... assuming people read the phrase. It's not real big type. They really should make it large enough so it can be seen without looking at it, you know, like a subconscious thing that would catch your eye without you trying to see it.

--

Rick
Reply to

Can I just tack on a few thoughts here?

1) I owned a company a few years back that accepted credit cards. We went through one of those 3rd party providers, not a bank directly. There were probably 100 or so different "ways" to accept a card. i.e., card-present, card-not-present, PIN entered, no-pin, type of card, ca rd swiped, or not-swiped, etc... There were different fee rates for each t ype and different liabilities assumed (by the merchant) for each as well.

As you would expect, the lower, more favorable rates were associated with w ell known cards (i.e., VISA, MasterCard), presented in-person and swiped wi th a PIN. A merchant could expect to pay a higher percentage for an Intern et-only transaction, no PIN, and maybe no CCV # and a weak address match to boot, etc.. Maybe even move if products/services were rendered outside ce rtain boundaries (like the United States), or were non-typical sales (in do llar amounts or otherwise).

This doesn't prove k...attt's point either way, except to say that the rate paid by the merchant generally relates to the risk the CC companies are as suming. Too many problems or chargebacks and the CC drops the merchant - s o it is in the best long term interest of all involved to be on the up-and- up.

As to banks, our Wells Fargo accounts are protected by Username, password A ND RSA dongle. Pretty hard to fool that combination. For checks, we tell the bank what we cut in advance, and if someone presents a non-matching che ck for payment, it is denied. I think BofA does both of these as well, at least for business accounts. For an ATM transaction, I image banks keep a copy of the camera image - at least for a few weeks in case a dispute arise s. (?)

If that isn't enough - then option A: is to consider a safety deposit box, or maybe Option B: bury your money in a peat bog like butter. BTW: Sounds gross, but worth Googling if you don't know what bog butter is.

Reply to
mpm

Good Lord, you're a stupid twit. How does one know someone is using your card? Do you think they phone for permission first? Whatta dumbshit!

No, just telling it as it is. You're a deadbeat lefty.

More lies. You're *so* predictable. Lefties have no brain so that's to be expected.

Reply to
krw

Almost certainly out of an old story - something set in the 19th century or before, perhaps - maybe Sherlock Holmes? Or, perhaps, Emma Bull and Steven Brust's fascinating novel "Freedom and Necessity", which is set in 1849.

I don't know for certain why this particular phrase stuck in my memory... but for whatever reason, I liked it, and was pleased to have the chance to trot it out into the daylight and give it some exercise ;-)

Reply to
David Platt

Wimp! Use a 'blue wrench' to remove them and cauterize at the same time. Just like the way that Sloman's Lobotomy was done.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

10 Lb is for little girls. Go 20 Lb, or go home.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The "Axe with Hickory Handle" is cheaper, and on-sale now at Harbor Freight.

mpm

A 20 Lb sledge and some elbow grease will pulverise 12" of concrete.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, I guess you got me there. :) Hope all is well.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Not really. I wake up screaming in pain, and wanting to cut a leg off.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Fraudulent use of a credit card doesn't cause bounced checks in the first place. An you call me dumb???

And you have no basis for your twisted opinions, so you call people names. lol

Yes, the "L" word is one of your favorite to use when you have no basis for your opinions.

--

Rick
Reply to

Good Lord, no wonder you're a lefty. You're too damned stupid to breathe!

No "names". Things are what they are, no matter if calling them by their rightful names hurts your lefty feelings.

Facts *are* facts, which being a lefty you're never concerned with.

Reply to
krw

Avoid debit cards at all costs. Very little fraud protection and very difficult to get money back in your account.

The safest thing is to either use Paypal or to use a credit card that allows you to generate one-time use virtual cards with virtual numbers, expiration dates, and CVVs that are good for a fixed amount.

Reply to
sms

Some CC companies do have a feature where you can get a one time usable card number to do online transactions. Each time you need to log on and get a new CC number. I have never used one but I talked to someone yesterday that does use them. He said it was easy.

I'll vote for any form of torture for those involved it CC fraud. I think last time it was discussed we had a landslide vote to use a

10 lb sledge hammer on the testicles. Mikek
Reply to
amdx

Don't forget the salt.

Reply to