How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Is it safe to give credit card information to trusted websites using a
computer with no firewall or virus protection? I spoke with the bank and
they claimed any bad transactions would be resolved in my favor. I can't
think of any compromising situations other than a key logger on my machine
that would get me in trouble. So, I went ahead today and signed up for a
years subscription  to e-yearbook.com for some old classmate photos. It was
$19.95 for a year's subscribtion but I had to use my debit card numbers. How
safe is that?

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?
Last time I checked, debit cards had FAR LESS fraud protection than
credit cards.
A debit card can wipe out your entire bank balance.  Even if you
do eventually get it back, you may have a lot of other financial issues
to deal with.

I set up a checking account in a different bank with a credit card there.
Use that for all my internet transactions.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

It depends on how it's used.  If it's used with the PIN (as a debit
card), it's between your bank and you.  There are protections but some
banks are much better than others.  CUs tend to be very good, large
banks, not so much.  OTOH, if you use it (a MC or VISA branded card)
it is cleared through the credit card network, rather than an
interbank network, and has the same protections as a VISA or MC.  The
CC company will stand behind the transaction, letting your bank off
the hook.

Again, it's up to your bank.  Many will fix everything in the case of
fraud.  It's their business to make cards easy and safe to use.

You're completely protected with a CC.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

What's your definition of "fix everything?"
What about all the automatic payments from your bank account that failed
because you're overdrawn.
What about the loans that increase the interest rate if you're late
paying...then send that info to other CC accounts that can also increase
your rate because you're late on someone else's account?
Those terms of service are BRUTAL.
I think the aftermath is more complex than you propose.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Return the funds to your account and wipe out any overdraft charges.

If you're not a deadbeat, they won't have returned "checks", either.

If you're not a deadbeat...

No, it really isn't.  Perhaps you are that much of a deadbeat, though.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Are you sure he isn't a liar?

You are getting what he is saying.  If you have a problem with a debit
card your checks and payments start bouncing even though you had money
in your account... until the thieves took it all.  By the time you find
the problem and get the bank to put the money back, the problem with
your record and increased rates on loans is unfixable.

You can't unring a bell either.

--

Rick

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Opps, that should be "you aren't getting what he is saying."
                           ^^^^^^

--

Rick

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Once again, you just *have* to prove what a moron you really are.  The
average idiot is smart enough to hide it from others, rather than
telling everyone on the street.  Repeatedly.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Do you not know that bouncing checks is information that is shared just
like your credit record?  Heck, I've seen people put bad checks in their
windows for public display!

But then you can't resist an opportunity to call someone names.  I
wonder what sort of childhood you had that made you this way.

--

Rick

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Yes, but a decent bank will issue apology letters to creditors and
telling them to resubmit the checks AND pay the fees.  BTDT.  Crappy
banks won't.  They will also clean up the credit records with "bank
error" explanations.  Again, BTDT.

The best solution is to not be a deadbeat, though.  I'm quite sure you
wouldn't understand the concept.

No, only idiots, idiot.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Totally worse than phoning your credit card company and just not having
bounced checks to begin with.

Lol.   You are such a troll...

LOL!  You can that other one are just so compulsive.  I bet they have a
special name for your disorder.

I know I have seen you post without calling people idiots, but not often.

--

Rick

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Good Lord, you're a stupid twit.  How does one know someone is using
your card?  Do you think they phone for permission first?  Whatta
dumbshit!

No, just telling it as it is.  You're a deadbeat lefty.

More lies.  You're *so* predictable.  Lefties have no brain so that's
to be expected.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Fraudulent use of a credit card doesn't cause bounced checks in the
first place.  An you call me dumb???

And you have no basis for your twisted opinions, so you call people
names.  lol

Yes, the "L" word is one of your favorite to use when you have no basis
for your opinions.

--

Rick

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Good Lord, no wonder you're a lefty. You're too damned stupid to
breathe!

No "names".  Things are what they are, no matter if calling them by
their rightful names hurts your lefty feelings.

Facts *are* facts, which being a lefty you're never concerned with.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

   Some CC companies do have a feature where you can get a one time
usable card number to do online transactions. Each time you need to log
on and get a new CC number. I have never used one but I talked to
someone yesterday that does use them. He said it was easy.

  I'll vote for any form of torture for those involved it CC fraud.
I think last time it was discussed we had a landslide vote to use a
10 lb sledge hammer on the testicles.
                              Mikek

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Don't forget the salt.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 20:32:20 -0500, "Tom Miller"

And the vinegar >:-}

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Citibank has the virtual card numbers, works well.
Only problem is Amazon and multiple vendors, each vendor needs a
different number.

Cheers

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?

Too simplistic. Once everybody accepts fraud occurred, that's
the answer, but...

Try to get an answer to this question:
   "is it up to the bank to prove there wasn't fraud, or
    is it up to me to prove there was fraud?".

If you get an answer from a bank, we would all like to know.

Re: How safe are websites that require credit card info?
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:25:06 +0100, Tom Gardner

Not hard at all.  It's up to them to prove that you did authorize the
purchase.  The use of the PIN might be a problem but otherwise they're
going to need to provide a signature or something.  If the merchant
didn't get it, it goes to them.  You *might* have to file a police
report but doubtful.  The bottom line is that the credit card
companies rely on the public being assured that their money is safe.
If they started blaming the customer, they lose their whole business.
In most cases, it's the merchant who's going to take the hammer,
anyway.  Banks (via EFTS) are slightly different, however.  Big banks
don't give a crap about personal accounts.  You're at their mercy. CUs
and local banks tend to be more sensitive to such things.  This is why
it's better to use debit cards WITHOUT the PIN.

Site Timeline