How many audio channels over 1 pin spdif ? (x-fi)

Hello,

Take a look at this picture, it shows pins for audigy and x-fi elite pro so undblasters:

ascii version in case picture is no longer available:

2 40 .................... .................... 1 39

pins seem to be numbered vertically from bottom to top 1, 2, then next colu mn is probably 3 4 and so forth.

Not sure which pins would be important to make a custom cable.

pin 5 spdif 0 in

pin 9 spdif 0 out pin 27 spdif 3 out pin 29 spdif 1 out pin 31 spdif 2 out

Which other pins would be important ?

It mentions these SPDIF output pins. 0,1,2,3

So that's 4 pins.

How many audio channels can travel over 1 pin ?

Also how would these be connected into a cable, should gnd be included or a nother other pins

What I am trying to figure out if the X-Elite Pro soundblaster is what I cu rrently believe it is:

7.1 Surround Sound Analog outputs 5.1 Surround Sound Digital outputs

However if only 4 spdif pins available then how would it achieve 6 channels for 5.1 surround sound digital ?

I read somewhat 1 spdif connection via normal connectors/cables can carry t wo audio channels.

So this ad_ext connector has 4 spdif pins, is the x-elite pro soundblaster perhaps a 7.1 digital output device after all ? But hampered/nerfed/capped by cable design ?

Currently I am investigating sound quality of laptop/hdmi digital vs dreamp c2006/x-fi analog both to same receiver (denon 1909).

The digital connection from laptop is remarkable... it produces very high q uality sound, sharper/more so than the x-fi analog signals.

So I am very interested in trying to connect the x-fi digitally.

I will most likely purchase spdif cables fiber optic and coax from a local shop if they have it and they probably do. I will purchase these mostly to see if there is indeed a big quality difference in audio signal between ana log and digital from x-fi. I am starting to believe this is indeed the case .

So even testing x-fi 5.1 surround sound would be interesting to see quality differences.

Currently the laptop hdmi receiver setup is not producing surround sound co rrectly.

This is probably caused by the receiver being in 7ch stereo mode which is w rong.

This simply duplicates a stereo signal over multiple speakers which is wron g I believe.

For example the "rear right" signal can also be heard on the "right speaker " this is wrong, the "rear right" signal should only be heard on the "rear right speaker".

I think I know how to configure the receiver to select/set a different surr ound mode, it may have to be channel direct, or perhaps dolby digital ext/p lus that sort of thing.

I will experiment with that tomorrow to see if correct surround sound can b e produced from the laptop via hdmi to receiver.

This annoyed me when playing world of warships or company of heroes on the laptop... the direction of sound didn't seem right at all, so it was notice able.

I must say the x-fi elite analog setup worked much simple straight out of t he box into the receiver basically, so for noobies the analog setup is much easier to get working correctly.

Creative was smart to seperated the 8 channels into 4x2 stereo signals... t he receiver I think sends this forth to the speakers. However this signal i s probably not digital hence some signal loss from digital to analog conver t and back to analog to digital convert dac/cad ;) :)

Today I spent many hours doing experiments and getting to know my receiver better and being able to configure it with just the 1 or 2 line display on the device itself instead of on screen display connected to monitor... cabl e probably too short anyway but I also wanted to learn to operate this devi ce from itself without any other devices. I kinda like these technical chal lenges, guess it's my experience and age and mindset/determination to get i t working, "failure is not an option" mindset from playing all that world o f warships lol.

Also my x-fi elite pro came with this breakout box as I called it or as som e call it official name now is i/o console. It also has spdifs... but only two spdifs out...

So are these the 4 pins from the ad_ext going to the breakout box ? forming two spdif outputs on it ?

What I also wonder about is the "flexi-jack" it can also be configured as a n digital i/o.

Probably a spdif output.

It can work via RCA to mini cable or something like that.

So is this again the same 4 pins, perhaps 2 of them going /inout of that fl exi jack ?

Or is this yet 2 additional spdif pins ?!?!?!?

So what is the actually ammount of spdif output pins/channels that this x-f i elite can do ?

Is it only 4 spdif pins output ?

Or is some whacky combination of:

ad_ext 4 spdif pins + digital i/o flexi jack possible ?

Perhaps resulting in a hardware/connection-wise output possibility of 6 spd ifs outputs ?!?

Let's assume for a moment that this would be possible, would theoretically this be enough for 7.1 channels ? Or are 8 spdif pins neccessary for that ?

So this is where I am somewhat confused ?

Perhaps 3 signals can go over a 2 pin spdif output connector thanks to dolb y/dts compression ? How does that work ? Same question as in beginning but kinda filling in the possible blanks here myself... which could be totally incorrect.

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

It can carry two uncompressed audio channels of up to 48kHz and 20/24 bits, depending. It doesn't have to carry uncompressed audio though, it's just transmission protocol and data link layer standard. A single SPDIF connection can carry a 5.1 surround audio stream if it's encoded with something like DTS and compressed 4:1, and connected to something that knows how to decode it

Reply to
bitrex

Actually it can do higher sample rates, the spec says there's no defined data rate, so long as the receiving device can understand and read the frames fast enough.

Reply to
bitrex