How do i select the right RAM?

This is an IBM / Lenono T43 laptop. The addon ram card suddenly failed after many years. Several times in the past year the computer would blue screen or lockup. Removing that ram card fixed it for awhile. Now its just dead and Im running the laptop without it. Choosing the right card seems difficult.

Is there a site that lists them?

How do i choose?

This is what the old dead card reads.

512mb DDR 333 cl2.5 MT16VDDF6464HG-335G2 PC2700S-3533-1-Z 118 pin pc2700 2.5v

Thanks

Reply to
tubeguy

How do you run your laptop without ram?

You have your work cut out for you.

shows three types of T43s, all of which use PC2-5300 memory:

*
*
*

Unless Crucial's database is wrong (it's been known to happen) your old PC2700S memory is incompatible with your T43 laptop. Incompatible memory can cause your laptop to blue screen on you or not boot.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

It is a bit elderly to bother repairing. Exactly which model of T43? Are you sure about 118 pin and 2.5v?

Thinkpad Lenovo say T43s memory spec is:

?PC2-4200 CL4 Non-Parity (NP) Double Data Rate Two (DDR2) Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) SO-DIMM memory ?200-pin SO-DIMM with gold-plated leads ?256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB PC2-4200 CL4 NP DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMM ?Supports up to two 1GB SDRAM SO-DIMMs

from

I don't think they do *any* valve based RAM.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

PC2-4200 and PC2-5300 both belong to the same family. Either module can be used. Crucial, naturally, sells only the latest evolutionary member of the family. For this case Crucial's database is correct. Their database is inevitably correct. It only failed me once out of about a thousand queries. They immediately updated it after the failure was reported to them. Their database can also indicate the feasibility of using a given memory module. It's a big red flag when they don't sell a particular module. Although it may not be a show stopper. Crucial also provides excellent memory documentation to the public gratis.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU

lue

rd

ee

t43-series-(type-1875)*

t43-series-(type-2686)*

t43-series-(type-2687)*

ry

ronous

Wouldn't that be magnetic core memory - for valve based RAM? Magnetic bead lattices...tube jukeboxes (Seeburg) used them for memory back in the late 50s and right through the 70s.

Here is a how-to:

Looks like fun!

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

These

tube RAMs stored 1-2 kilobits for more than 70 years ago.

Reply to
upsidedown

There is a working one on a fully operational model of Baby at the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry 32 x 32 = 1024 bits

They run it for demos on certain days. Takes a while to warm up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 14:02:06 -0000 (UTC), "Don Kuenz, KB7RPU" wrote:

There is 512mb ram built in. You gotta rip the whole laptop apart to get to it. The card that failed is the easy to access SECOND (addon) card.

This is a TYPE 2379. Thats not listed

Motherboard Model: IBM 2379RFU

That addon card worked for the past 8 years or so. It began acting up after I slammed on my brakes (deer ran in front of me), and the computer flew off car seat. Removing that second card fixed it, but it sure is slow now.

Using HWinfo32. This is what my first card lists as:

-----------------

HWiNFO32 Version 6.10-3880

185AC0F734824A8

[Current Computer] [Operating System]

Memory

[General information] Total Memory Size: 512 MBytes Total Memory Size [MB]: 512 [Current Performance Settings] Current Memory Clock: 166.1 MHz (5 : 3 ratio) Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 2.5-3-3-7 Memory Channels Active: 1

Row: 0 - 512 MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM Samsung M4 70L6524CU0-CB3

[General Module Information] Module Number: 0 Module Size: 512 MBytes Memory Type: DDR-SDRAM Error Check/Correction: None Memory Speed: 166.7 MHz (PC2700) Module Manufacturer: Samsung Module Part Number: M4 70L6524CU0-CB3 Module Serial Number: 871367426 Module Manufacturing Date: Year: 2005, Week: 37 [Module Characteristics] Module Width: 64-bits Module Voltage: SSTL 2.5V SPD Revision: 1.0 Number Of Rows: 2 Row Address Bits: Bank 1: 13, Bank 2: 13 Column Address Bits: Bank 1: 10, Bank 2: 10 Number Of Banks: 4 [Module timing] Supported Burst Lengths: 2, 4, 8 Refresh Rate: Reduced 0.5x (7.8 us) Min. Back-to-Back Clock Delay: 1 Supported CAS Latencies (tCAS): 2.5, 2.0 Min. RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 18.00 ns Min. Row Precharge Time (tRP): 18.00 ns Min. RAS Pulse Width (tRAS): 42 ns Supported Module Timing at 166.7 MHz: 2.5-3-3-7 Supported Module Timing at 133.3 MHz: 2.0-3-3-6 Min. Row-Activate To Row-Activate Delay (tRRD): 12.00 ns Supported CS Latency: 0 Supported WE

Ideally, Id like to find this same card. But thats unlikely. And since Im replacing it, I may as well get a 1gb card, thus giving me 1.5gb total ram.

(No, I'm not tearing the whole computer apart to replace the internal one).

Reply to
tubeguy