How do I do combined verilog and spice simulations?

Has anybody tried this? preferrably using something free(ngspice?)...

Reply to
Johann Klammer

I don't know how, but if you figure it out let us know.

I'd love to have a tool bench where I could bolt a general-purpose simulator like Simulink or XCos to a cycle-correct microprocessor simulation and let-er-rip. I suspect that the potential market is limited enough that if it is available it's $50,000 a seat from Mentor, and buggy as hell.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I know Cadence can do Verilog/VHDL + Analog in one swell foop... I'm sure the cost is prohibitive.

PSpice and LTspice have built-in logic elements which only play with their own simulators.

I have written a few digital primitives which play anywhere... see them on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my website.

They are not up-to-date... I almost daily "evolve" my modeling techniques and haven't posted updates.

I'm getting close to a simple "family" modeling technique... just call up an inverter symbol and label it 74HC and off you go ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

It would be nice, for switching supplies (or amplifiers) when there's digital logic or a microprocessor in the control loop, to be able to simulate the processor + algorithm easily.

I've done fairly well by making a behavioral block in LTSpice whose output is a PWM signal or whatever, and implementing the rest as a circuit. It's generally something that gets used to verify that a plan is good enough to put on a circuit board, and then it's abandoned when the physical board is available.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I haven't had any horrendously complex controllers to deal with... just periodic calibration systems, and such. I usually get by with a "table" logic controller. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance