how about a free open-source window compatible operating system

MS spent a lot of time putting in undocumented API calls that can do pretty much the same with what the documented calls do, some with better perforance so that MS gets an edge on their own products, others are just there so they don't documented the calls..

Basically it boils down to some of the MS applications not working on clone OS'es. because those do not have those calls yet supported, YET ..

Reply to
M Philbrook

So who bothers with using MS apps? The only MS app I'm currently using is Notepad because it is convenient and I don't think you can get that separate from Windows.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Had that happen with a Rogue (not mine). The starter can't be seen easily, it's accessed from below, you might be able to see it if you take access panels off inside the passenger wheel well.

The engine was seized. Nasty. $$$$

Reply to
speff

You are unusual (you've probably heard that before...). A key requirement for things like ReactOS and Wine are how well they can run the latest MS Office - because that is what people need. "I can do all my work on Linux, but the company insists on Outlook for email" or "I need bug-for-bug MS Word compatibility because that is the company standard, even though LibreOffice is a better tool".

I don't think I have any MS apps myself on my Windows system. I dislike the way they dig their claws deep into the system, forcing updates, changing system libraries and settings, and otherwise screwing with your OS as though they own it. But I believe Powerpoint is better than the LibreOffice equivalent, for those that like that sort of thing, and I have heard many good things about modern MSVS.

Reply to
David Brown

I am just fine with 97 Pro. i have a much newer version kicking around, don't remember where I got it, but I never bothered to install it because I simply do not need it. My files are compatible and that's that. And it runs fast.

Why would I fix something that isn't broken ?

Reply to
jurb6006

That's fine when it is your choice (and I agree with you, except for the bit about using MS Office 97 - I haven't had any MS Office version installed since Word For Windows 2). However, many people don't get to make such decisions - it is made by others (management, IT, whatever).

Reply to
David Brown

Does 97 have a decent compatibility filter to read modern Word/Excel .DOCX and .XLSX files?

ISTR even for more recent versions that support was withdrawn this month (or rather updates to it were).

Grab it while you still can if you need it!

Do you never have to work on documents used by people on newer kit?

Office 2002/3 were among the more stable versions that ever were.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It is total nonsense,

Mechanical clamping forces the high spots on the two bits of metal being cl amped together into metallic contact. The high spots distort and beak thro ugh any oxide layer when it is first done. The vaseline just slows down the diffusion of oxygen to the exposed bits of bare metal.

Obvious when you think about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

.DOCX and .XLSX files? "

I'd have to check. Don't know where to get one right now but I could look at the file associations on the PC.

Not usually but it seems I have downloaded DOC files that are significantly newer than 1997.

I mainly use it to compose documents so I am not sure of what all the compatibilities are. I got a copy of 2000 rolling around here somewhere, but is it worth it for just 3 years ?

Reply to
jurb6006

I don't know I used MS Office 2000 and 2003 but never added the compatibili ty extension. When I started receiving .xlsx files from people I had to us e Open Office to open them which worked so well I stopped using MS Office. I ended up with LibreOffice and am very happy with it. The only part of M SO I miss is Visio which was a great program that MS never seemed to figure out how to ruin.

Why would anyone need it???

And yet it is still a crappy MS product.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

DOC files should be (more or less) backwards compatible but people have to remember to save them like that for you to be able to read them. Almost all corporates these days are on DOCX and XLSX formats.

2000 wasn't a particularly good vintage. 2002/3 were OK. 2007 a dog. 2010 almost usable again and 2013 fairly annoying.

I think the backwards compatibility reader is only available for Office XP and later and no longer itself supported as of 4/18.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I use Word2010 under Win7. Seems fine.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Depends how you use it and what for. If you never do much more than type stuff in and don't care what it looks like on different printers then it is adequate. It does an annoying variant of WYSINQWYG.

In a corporate setting I have seen office documents that grow exponentially every time they are edited and saved.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The only part of MSO I miss is Visio which was a great program that MS never seemed to figure out how to ruin.

they ruined it now

Reply to
makolber

Printing seems fine, on various printers, but I usually make a PDF to send to other people.

The trick to using Word is to use it as a glass typewriter. Turn off most of the features, and avoid styles, macros, change tracking, and automatic anything.

Corporate setups can be a nightmare. Ditto change tracking and collaboration.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Visio 2002 is cheap and works fine. It does decent line work for Word docs.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sing it brother! What a waste.

Reply to