Hoperf radio modules and DNS

I've just designed in a radio module RFM12B-433-S1 from hoperf

Now I cannot access the hoperf website. In fact DNS doesn't resolve the name (either with my DNS servers or online nslookup).

Should I be worried? This is a Chinese company and these modules seem to be very popular. They might be changing servers I guess and Christmas is probably a good time to do it, would this normally result in no DNS lookup at all while they do it?

Mark.

Reply to
markp

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:33:07 -0000) it happened "markp" wrote in :

I get an error message too, but: # host

# Host
not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

# host hoperf.com hoperf.com has address 121.199.253.175 hoperf.com mail is handled by 10 mx.hoperf.com.

So, typing 121.199.253.175 gets a Chinese site. With very little info.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks for confirming. Yes, I actually found that site too while doing a lookup, some wierd Chinese homepage! I'm hoping they have just changed servers and DNS is currently broken, and that they haven't gone out of business. This radio module is the best and cheapest I've found, it's great. Fingers crossed...

Mark.

Reply to
markp

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:56:33 -0000) it happened "markp" wrote in :

I have read that China has decided that all personal homepages are no longer allowed, and that all company websites must be licenced (yes no joke). It is possible that they are in the process of applying for a license. Talk about freedom, what a jerks. Just hope and fight that we do not get the same crap here. If I was the US I would simply close the borders for Chinese products, time for buy American, but anyways, Mao .. revolution, things may change fast in China.... LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Don't worry too hard, yet. China is the country that orders the "people's army" to drive tanks over the people. The US has a lot of sliding down to do before we get that bad.

We'll just decline in other ways...

Traditionally, societies with large middle classes are the most likely to undergo democratic revolutions. Closing the boarders with China would encourage a bunch of dirt-poor peasants and a bunch of super-rich, with no middle class in between that is both educated enough to know what democracy is and stomped on enough to want it.

(IMHO, YMMV, definitive answers only given if you let me have 1000 universes to play with, etc.)

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Coming to your neighborhood sooner than you think.

Oh? You mean like Obama envisions the US... Obama and his elitists government employees, union leaders and enforcement goons on top... everyone else a paisano?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Phew, it's back. Funnily none of the online nslookup services could find it either using their own servers, but at least my DNS servers can again. Maybe an outage at their hosting company (?).

Mark.

Reply to
markp

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:08:18 -0000) it happened "markp" wrote in :

The same happens with my site when I switch the server off, as the name server, the authoritive one, that tells everybody where my site is (its IP address), also runs on this same server. That is the way DNS can work, not everybody needs an ISP to run a 'named'. A bit strange that hoperf.com (without the www) was resolved though. Could also be their named was victim of some attack. BTW 'named' is a program.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Interesting. Remember hoperf.com was resolved to 121.199.253.175, and entering that into a browser got some wierd homepage? Well it is still resolved to that address, but if you type

now into your browser now you get the proper site, which is the same as
. However,
resolves to 122.225.96.220. I assume this site has two IPs, one with the www and one without.

Mark.

Reply to
markp

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:01:05 -0000) it happened "markp" wrote in :

Yes, different machine. IIRC on a MS windows machine it sais something like 'here goes your homepage' if you had the personal web server running but did not make any pages. Just a placeholder perhsps. Same if you install Apache. Yes i tis Apache, at e;ast on the machine they use now:

grml: ~ # telnet 121.199.253.175 80 Trying 121.199.253.175... Connected to 121.199.253.175. Escape character is '^]'

(Typed anything, wrong request) http:

501 Method Not Implemented

Method Not Implemented http: to /index.php not supported.

Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) Server at url4.hichina.com Port 80

Connection closed by foreign host.

All of China runs Linux :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:01:05 -0000) it happened "markp" wrote in :

grml: ~ # telnet 121.199.253.175 80 Trying 121.199.253.175... Connected to 121.199.253.175. Escape character is '^]'

(Typed anything, wrong request) http:

501 Method Not Implemented

Method Not Implemented http: to /index.php not supported.

Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) Server at url4.hichina.com Port 80

Connection closed by foreign host.

All of China runs Linux :-)

You can see teeh server is url4.hichina.com, so hichina.com could be the ISP.

So do a whois hichina.com and you know all about it.

(I just did, but think I should not publish it here, Verisign has lost of legal text in the reply...).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje