Hong Kong Memory Scam

News of the Hong Kong memory scam came to me wayyyy too late..

I bought a 4G mp3 player on Ebay from Hong Kong.

__Here's what happened__ Windows reported 4GB of space...ok Format ...ok I filled all the memory with songs ...ok All songs showed up in windows explorer...ok Not all songs played! I did a read/write memory test.. There's only 2.8G of valid memory!

Then I bought a 8GB player for a friend.. It only had ~1.8GB of valid memory!

But the worst was the 32GB flash drive I got for $28US. (Yeah that was too good to be true...) Windows showed 32GB but testing showed only ~4GB of valid memory!

I watched the test program. The write rate would stay constant in the beginning. IIRC 900KB/s. Then after some time, the write rate starts to gradually increase ???? I suspect that coincided with the beginning of the invalid memory.

The free test program I found:

Beware of fake memory!

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I know there are hard file limits based on FAT32. I can only make a file about 2Gbytes long, though I can put 8 of these files on a

16Gbyte card. I suspect you have a format issue.
Reply to
miso

found:

The h2testw program writes a bunch of 1G files and then reads m back. I don't think there's a FAT32 violation. Testing can be done with a bunch of

Reply to
D from BC

On a sunny day (Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:28:40 -0800) it happened D from BC wrote in :

I test in Linux by writing some huge video file to the device: cat my_long_movie_4GB.ts > /dev/sda Note I use /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1, so the formatting, if any, and file system is now gone, so is the first sector.

Then use diff to compare, although I use my own program, 'dvdimagecmp'. dvdimagecmp -a /dev/sda -b my_long_movie_4GB.ts

Now you could perhaps use fdisk to make partitions, but this also works: Then when all done, and no errors, I just put ext2 file system on it: mk2fs /dev/sda

No file size limits... Perfect for read only use (ext2 will do a lot of rw). Of course if you want to use it with a non-Linux device or PC, then you will have to reformat it as FAT again, if you can. You could however before the procedure dump the whole thing to a file: cat /dev/sda > sda_copy

and later restore all of it: cat sda_copy > /dev/sda

If you do not have a long test file you can make your own: dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1000000 count=10 > myf makes a 10 MB file 'myf' with almost random content.

For long movies WHY have a file system at all? cat my_long_movie_4GB.ts > /dev/sda

Play: cat /dev/sda | xine -D -f stdin:/

Why even mount it? I do this with DVDs too, no authoring required, one movie per DVD, and 4 700 000 000 bytes available, no file system overhead.

cat /dev/dvd | xine -D -f stdin:/

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

found:

Hello, You can trust the h2testw program. There are really hundred thousands of faked memory sticks in the market.

Maybe you learned the lecture. If you would buy from a local dealer or at least inside your country, you could get your money back or a replacement.

Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Did you pay more or less than you would have if it had been advertised as a 2.8G mp3 player? You might have still got a good deal.

Reply to
BobG

Yeah..for only $20.00 that mp3 player was an ok rip off.

But I'm pissed about the 32GB flash drive that really is 3.8GB. I paid about $30.00 It can't even contain a full DVD.

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Ah, an honest miss print! Maybe it was suppose to be 3.2GB advertised. :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

No.. Windows shows it's a 32GB flash drive. It formats as a 32GB drive. But there's only 3.8G of valid memory. The flash drive has a firmware hack that makes every appear ok. Until you do a read/write test.

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

32 gigabits...
Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

32Gb = 4GB is close to 3.8GB however windows explorer displayed 32GB for the flash drive not 32Gb. Also... I transferred 6GB of data (1GB files) with no disk full message. But only 3.8GB is valid and the rest reads back wrong.

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Yeah, it's weird. I wonder if it's all above a certain point you can't read/write, or is it random? Is it just a smaller flash chip, or a defective large one?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I stand corrected. Well, sit actually, but you know what I mean. I've generally found good deals at Fry's when they have a sale, or I just buy online from ZipZoomFly, Newegg, etc.

I have had my share of ebay ripoffs though. The worse state without a doubt is Wisconsin. Second is Florida. You Canadians tend to be a decent bunch.

Reply to
miso

sosfakeflash wrote that the controller has been reprogrammed. In other words, the chip has been programmed to lie and cheat.

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

This is a well-known scam:

Note the 90-day protection... Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It's hard to imagine that Ebay gives a sh*t..they just want the sellers money. Paypal probably doesn't give a sh*t either...Paypay is E*bay..

My guess is to notify the Hong Kong police. Being a government agency, it makes sense that the police should investigate something that's causing economic damage. But that's probably no good either.. The seller may have sold all the sh*t. There's no evidence left! I checked the sellers site.. They're not selling anything right now.. Gee whiz..I wonder why...

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

They'll be happy to take the seller's money for you, if they can get it. It's in their interests to keep people from being ripped off.

That's not good news.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

If that is what floats your boat have fun. Just not my cuppa tea.

Reply to
JosephKK

rw).

Alas, out of the box thinking is not for everyone.

Reply to
panteltje

And not everyone finds it applicable to every situation. I certainly don't.

Reply to
JosephKK