Honeybees 'Whoop'

Win Hill: does this count as topical? :)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2121275-honeybees-let-out-a-whoop-when-they-bump-into-each-other/

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

 If not topical, at least interesting.  It's
 very dark in the hives, especially at night,
 so bees must be going by feel.  Maybe this
 is simply a way for bees to keep their little
 bit of space, so they can do their work.

 I've been loading up our hives with sensors,
 in a kind of mindless way, with sensors that
 are easy to install.  Tiny electret mics,
 yes, but embedded accelerometers, no.

 We need lots of cameras, oops, too hard.

 My newest PCB, called TH-stick, probes into the
 middle of the hive, six sensor ICs, 14 channels.
 A finished set of them will be arriving soon.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
On 20 May 2019 18:13:47 -0700, Winfield Hill

Measure (and listen to) e-field!

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
On a sunny day (20 May 2019 18:13:47 -0700) it happened Winfield Hill

Are Bs bothered by IR light?
If not then some cheap cameras with MJPEG stream output could work.
Avoid cameras with H264 compression etc if you need to see fast motion,
that only gives blurred Iframes,
High speed MJPEG cameras would be better,
Depends on what you want to see., wings flapping, or just where the bees are at any given time.
Lens cleaning?
Could indeed get complictiatiateded.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

They're not bothered by light, the local museum has a glass box hive
with the exit leading outdoors.

yeah

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
On Tue, 21 May 2019 05:47:44 -0000 (UTC), Jasen Betts

My Samsung S7 does a good job of slow-mo of bees on the flowers moving
around and wings flapping.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

One of the most fascinating things on bees I saw on TV.  Bees do a dance
near the hive that signals to the other bees the direction and distance
to where the good flowers are at that they found.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

It's actually within the hive, in the dark. So tactile message is ideal!
I've seen the other use of this communication. It happens in the open
when a swarm heads off to found another colony. The bees form a
temporary bivouac and scouts look for somewhere permanent. They come
back and do a waggle dance just as if foraging. Eventually a consensus
forms and all the bees head off to their new home. Magic!

Mike.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

In 2013 a bivouac lighted on one of my trees for a short while.
http://crcomp.net/biology/beebivouac/index.php

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Thanks for that story...

Mike.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

I've had that three times in my garden.

Once on the lawn, of all places.

Once on a bush, 6ft up. When discussing that with other people
in the village, I found a near neighbour kept bees.

Again, on the same bush. My near neighbour was delighted to
come and collect the swarm :)

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
Tom Gardner wrote...

 I wonder if it was his bees.  When the queen becomes
 unhappy with the hive, or worried about disturbances,
 she will make the hive abscomb.  They call it abscomb,
 rather than abandon, because the bees take as much of
 the honey as they can with them.  Hah, it may have been
 his queen, and she may not have been so happy about it,
 unless she got a new fresh hive.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

Interesting thought; annoyed I didn't think of it.

They gave no indication of having "lost" a swarm, but
that is absence of evidence.

Abscomb is an interesting word. I suspect it could be
applied to other phenomena such as dictators that
flee the country.

The bog-standard google search thinks "abscond". I'll check
in an old Websters dictionary tomorrow.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
Tom Gardner wrote...

 abscond, yes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

It s a perfectly cromulent word. He absconded with the money.

See google.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

Like "quiz".

I prefer "He abscombed with the money" :)

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'
says...

I don't. But on the other hand on the original topic of honeybees on a
comb it could be appropriate!

Mike.

Re: Honeybees 'Whoop'

See, I thought it was a clever portmanteau.  Should've left well enough
alone. :^)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC