holes and distance to copper in layout

hi I have to get a board manufactured , and I have to keep all designrules to 8 mil . this wil give me a ring without copper around a hole made in a polygon in signal layer. and this ring will be 8 mil or 0,2 mm I would like to get your oppinion about this ..is the distance small enough to solder a pin in the hole to the copper area when there are this 8 mil distance. I know that it will be soldered with a wave solder mashine. I have never been worrying about such details as I have drilled my boards myself , but thinking that often the pin or wire is not filling the hole fully out, and its not a problem to hand solder at all.. but what about when its wave soldered.. ? I have been looking at pads in the libraries ,and it seems that there will be a ring without copper at only 4mil /0,1 mm thank you for any thoughts about this alex

Reply to
Alex

If the hole, or a pin inserted in the hole, is intended to connect to the polygon plane, then there should be NO clearance around the hole - the copper of the plane should connect directly to the plating in the hole. If the hole is not plated, then the plane copper should come right up to the edge of the hole.

The 8 mil design rule means you require an 8 mil clearance between different circuits, not between parts of a single circuit.

If you want solder to connect two pieces of copper, it will not bridge a 1 mil gap. But if you don't want a connection, it will happily bridge an 0.1 inch gap!

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

ll

ext -

Thank you Peter this was what I needed to understand that I scould not have any distance between polygon and hole .and yep solder always connect where it is impossible..

But if I use a hole and put it into a polygon (eagle) then I get distance, and only when setting copper to hole and all lines to 0 mil its possible ..I guess its because a hole is not treated as a solder hole. So I got an idea ,to make a pad in library with the same form as the whole polygon and with a hole placed ,and this seems to work alex

Reply to
Alex

mall

nd

ave

text -

that's not the right way to do it. only things with the same net name will be connected. if you want a pad connected to a polygon you should just use a normal pad and then give the polygon the same net name as the pad.

a hole is normally just a hole, it does't have copper inside it meant for mounting screws and such

a hole with copper inside is called a pad and should follow the rules for how much bigger the copper circle should be than the hole inside

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

on

=A0small

are

hand

have

be

-

text -

mange tak :) thank you.. but I have tried to take a pad, change drill to 8 mm

+change diameter to 13 and put it into the polygon.. change names to same name. but ..the problem I then got was small openings in copper for thermal relief.. and in this design I'm not allowed to have any other holes in the copper.

If you have an idea to get a whole copper plane around the pad ,i like to hear from you..until now ,think I have tried 100 different approaches to solve my problem..

I have just been saved from the problem as the boards will be made with a smaller hole and the client will drill it to size .but would ofcourse like to get a solution after much time spend. It can be solved with using library and create a pad with a polygon to make the whole pad. and when creating it this way, all is in the pad layer. you said that it was not correct to do so ? why. alex

Reply to
Alex

:

ygon

=A0small

e are

o hand

=A0I have

l be

ct to

e -

he

me

dge

edtext -

right click the polygon and untick thermals :)

just a very backwards way of doing it and not the way it was meant to be done

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

ll

AH, a variant of amplifiers oscillate and oscillators don't.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach