Highly Unusual Bomb Cyclone to Hit Entire Atlantic Coast of U.S.

Record cold and unheard of weather in many places, hurricane force winds and copious amounts of snow, rain and ice. This will not turn out well, it is wise to prepare for extended outages.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Extreme cold is more dangerous that hot spells - take care, dress for the weather even if you are just driving to the corner store - you may have to walk home!

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Looks like Boston may get its first good-sized snowfall of the year, it's running late. 2014-2015 we had record snowfall, but the winters since then have been below average/unremarkable.

Reply to
bitrex

That's a great place for it. You can keep it all.

Reply to
krw

Damaging winds with this one:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Bomb cyclone. Polar vortex. Atmospheric rivers. Derecho.

Things that never happened before!

lunatic fringe electronics

Fred will only be happy with the end of the world. It is cold here... a good hard freeze keeps the varmips (ticks and such) down. Also our creek is frozen and now a winter highway, on warm years that doesn't happen. Last few years we'd get snow and then it would warm up and melt in a week.. there's no fun in that.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Fred needs to...well...y'know. Then he wouldn't be so upset about weather one has to stay indoors for

Reply to
bitrex

Seems you're having some issues up in that corner now.

krw

inds and copious amounts of snow, rain and ice. This will not turn out well , it is wise to prepare for extended outages.

snow-totals

It's a bit more complicated than that. The Arctic warming that is going on

- they get more warming from anthropogenic global warming than anybody else , due to positive feedback from the reduced snow cover - reduces the ice co ver on parts of the Arctic Ocean which makes the northern jet stream more w iggly (when it happens in the right places) and moves cold air further sout h from time to time in the northern winter.

talks about one of the predictable antics of a basically chaotic system. So me of the events that inspired the paper were the extremely cold winters of 1947, and 1962-63.

So these things have happened before, but less often. Recognising this leve l of complication isn't one of John Larkin's strong points (if he has any).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Just hope we aren't headed into another Little Ice Age. There's reason to be concerned about that. It would be devastating.

The USA has lots of fuel to survive, but other places won't do so well.

It'a been warm, too warm, here on the left coast. It's 57F in SF right now at 8:45 PM, and 36.2 at the cabin, 6400 feet up.

lunatic fringe electronics

I had to trickle run my hoses down here in NW Florida, I didn't trickle enough and had frozen water falls from three of them. Ran a faucet on my boat and had an ice sheet on the deck this morning. And we have 3 more nights of expected freezing temps. Nothing broke so, that's good. Possible snow in Tallahassee. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

e winds and copious amounts of snow, rain and ice. This will not turn out w ell, it is wise to prepare for extended outages.

,

ed-snow-totals

I wonder why John Larkin thinks that? Probably some misinformation from one of his denialist web sites.

If the Greenland ice sheet did melt and slide off into the North Atlantic, as the Laurentian ice sheet did at the end of the most recent ice age, it t oo could turn off the Gulf stream for a few years. The fresh water from the melting of the Laurentian ice sheet turned off the Gulf Stream for 1300+/-

10 years, causing the Younger Dryas, which was rather more dramatic than th e Little Ice Age, if equally regional.

This wouldn't stop anthropogenic global warming of the planet as a whole, j ust move the extra heat away from the periphery of the North Atlantic.

Lots of things could be devastating

They wouldn't need it.

What you need now is nice fat healthy cyclone. You are unlikely to get one.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

If it's cold enough to freeze the bays (Mecox bay) here on LI, theres a group that breaks out their Ice boats and sail around Mecox bay in the Hamptons.

Martin Riddle

Yeah, someone died in a multi-car-pile-up. Driving is dangerous. Lake effect snow is very localized, blizzard here, five miles away the sun is shinning.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ice sailing sounds fun in theory. (I bet it's darn cold with the wind.) I don't mind just cold, but cold and wind = stay inside by the fireplace. Lake Erie is just about frozen over and that should turn off the lake effect snow. (The other great lakes are deeper and never freeze over.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I thought even Superior froze over three or four winters ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Aside from eating charred red meat while keeping fire arms in our homes, driving is the most dangerous thing most of us do.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Huh, OK... I mostly know of Ontario, and just figured the other lakes were the same. Here's some data,

Ontario got up near 80-90% in 2015. And as you say Superior was 100%

Well it is a bit colder around lake Superior. It's kinda an interesting thermo problem. At some point you'd think the depth of the lake wouldn't matter too much. (What's the thermal time constant of 100' of water?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I always move my fire arms out to the barn before eating any meat, even fish. I like to play it safe. :^)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold