high value 0.1% resistors

I need some 2.0 meg and 2.49 meg resistors, 0603, ROHS, 0.1% or maybe

0.25%. The usual suspects, Digikey and Mouser, seem to stop at 1M.

Can anybody recommend suppliers?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:38:25 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

2 x 1M in series?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Too late, the board is done.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Canted tombstones, touching at the top? George H.

Oh I did some hand selecting of 10Meg 1% ers.. but one gotcha I found was that soldering them into place changed the resistance.. (by 0.1-0.2%) (though hole metal films)

Reply to
George Herold

can you squeeze an 0805 in?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, the board is under 2 square inches and it's really dense.

(I mean "dense" in the sense of lots of parts!)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

http://www.texascomponents.com/store/VishayFoilResistors.asp
Reply to
John Fields

Colorful web site! Do foils go that high? Anyhow, I pinged them on the general requirement. Thanks.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The vishay metal foil resistors are not available in the megaohms range AFAIK.

See e.g.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Do you have a laser trimmer handy? If so, buy 1M or lower value resistors and trim them up to the desired value. Available in 0603 size: App note:

I used them in various filters but at lower resistance values when we switched from hybrids to PCB construction. Not having to buy or stock a mess of non-standard resistor values was the major benefit. Already having the laser trimmer on site from the hybrid operation was a big plus[1].

You'll probably need some conformal coating to protect the cut after trimming. I suggest an acrylic.

[1] For fun, I also tried the S.S. White airbrasive trimmer (sand blaster). Not recommended.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

They got right back to me. They can't supply those values.

Mouser has some 0.5% parts, maybe the best I can do.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

(Rummages around in his desk drawers)

No!

Maybe I could buy a couple of K of the trimmable parts and get some shop to trim them up for me. I could start with 1.5M or something like that.

Actually, I could start with 2M and/or 2.5M and trim *up* a bit. Ratios are what matters in this circuit, not so much the absolute values.

Hey, Jim claimed to have an analytic solution to resistor trimming. I wonder where that is.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:19:47 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

So.. how about 2 on top of each other, the second a much higher value to get the accuracy?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That would require hand selection. Production would lynch me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Put them on edge, diagonally. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

To get 2 megs from 1 meg resistors, we'd have to make a teepee. 2.5 megs is Stonehenge construction. 5 places on the board.

I'll find out if our pick-and-place machine can do that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nah, I meant fitting in the 0805 that way. I do it manually all the time, because it's much easier to hold the parts edgeways.

Pretty fancy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's interesting that the PnP weighs 5000 pounds, to place milligram parts. We've rented a *big* forklift. Liz and Paulo are planning a forklift race.

I once ran a car into a forklift tines. Slit that Chevy open lengthwise like a can of sardines. That's a whole nother story.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So you laid out the board with unobtainium parts?
Reply to
John Fields

Check out

mickgeyver