High side Instr. amp. 30V

Hi all, laying out a pcb and I realized I've got an instrument amp monitoring a voltage drop from the positive supply rail. Any recommendations?? (the one penciled in won't go there.) (AoE3 is at work, I'm heading to DK.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Voltage on positive rail?

Range of voltages sensed down from positive rail?

Current consumption allowed from positive rail for instrumentation? ...Jim Thompson

24V, but looking at it I'm thinking the positive rail should have some sort of filter. A voltage regulator or cap. multiplier??

oh, might as well go to zero.. it can have a negative supply below ground.

Oww... gee, say ~0.1% of the min, 1-10uA. Jim, I don't want you to design anything... Linear or someone must make something that fits... Or an opamp.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you're going instrumentation amp quality, why not just subtract the drop node from the rail node? ...Jim Thompson

Floating power supply, run the inst. amp lust below the supply rail?

Or, use resistive dividers (with compensation caps, if needed) to divide the two measured points down to where they are within range of the inst. amp. I did this on a servo amp with tons of 100 KHz noise, it worked like a champ.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

TI has a lot of suitable items; INA192 sucks one mA, CM goes from -16 to +80V. Power, bandwidth, cost are all tradeoffs, of course.

Reply to
whit3rd

Oops: typo. I meant INA193...

Reply to
whit3rd

TI's LMP8640 comes in a 6-pin SOT.

Reply to
Frank Miles

Group response, Thanks all, There are a number of the high side current sense amps, but none of those are going to work. There are some RRIO int-amp's in AoE3* but all low voltage. I'll either divide the voltage down with R's as Jon suggested or drop a few volts up stream... probably the later.

George H.

*The LT1789 input goes to the negative rail.
Reply to
George Herold