High side driver packages, what the...?

I've got an automotive project that I want to finish and I need to use a couple of high-side drivers rated for a few Amps each. I have some VN820s that will do the job fine, but the package is a 5 lead TO-220 (pentawatt). I build my stuff on standard pre-made pc proto boards that have "standard" spacing and this package just won't fit any of them without mangling the pins badly. For those unfamiliar, it's like a regular TO-220, but with two more pins shoved between the ones that are already there. I look and look and all I find is more of the same. :-(

Is there any high-side driver available in regular DIP8 or any package that can be easily fitted to a proto board?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Have some ingenuity and get the Swiss Army knife and duct tape out. There's a room full of useful materials readily available. Bend the leads and use small gauge wire to connect the leads to the board. Good grief!

Reply to
Stace MacGuyver

I've been thinking about this. I have a couple of projects that really need to be done that way. I've managed to scrape by all this time without using the messy chems, but I guess it's time to get with the program. Can you recommend the chemicals you like?

Thanks for the links.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

learn to make your own boards. start with using a laser printer , art work printed in reverse on a piece of InkJet photo paper where the print ends up on the shinny side. clean board, iron on, wash off with water. get the etching ready, use plastic tongs, and splash the board around in plastic try for about 20 mins to remove exposed area.. then drill your holes.

etc.. it works very nicely. if you were to go into production how ever, i would suggest you have them done else where for you. because they can apply protective coatings, feed throughs etc..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Stagger>>learn to make your own boards.

Anth>I've managed to scrape by all this time

Stay away from the one that stains.

*-*+Sodium.Persulphate+*-totaly-clear-*-*+ferric-*+zzz+*-does-not-make-nasty-stains+*.*.watch.your.boards.etch

JeffM

John Fields mentioned this one in another thread:

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I have posted on m.i.e.marketplace, a Datak kit...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks Ed, that's a "gate driver" though. :-) The part I'm looking for is something like a P-channel MOSFET, but with a built in voltage converter so that it only takes 5V drive on the gate. They're really cool parts and usually have neat features such as a short-circuit proof output and being able to provide feedback about the load, like if it is an open circuit (i.e. blown bulb). Great parts for automotive use. Here's a link to the ones I have:

The problem with them is the sucky packages they come in. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Infineon

makes the profet line of smart high side switches, usually available at either digikey or mouser (forget which), but they all seem to be either surface mount or 5- or 7- pin to220 or to218 packages just like the ones you already found. What is so bad about bending the two "in-between" pins, numbers 2 and 4, forward and over so that 1, 3, and 5 go in the normal to220 holes and 2 and 4 go in the next row over, in front of 1 and 5? You say you only need a couple, so a minute or two sculpting with needle nose pliers can't be all that bad :-).

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat veriz>> Anth>>> I've got an automotive project that I want to finish and I need to

Reply to
Carl Ijames