High Quality Shielded USB2 Cable required

Hello, hope someone can help me with this one.

I`m seeking an extremely high quality USB / USB2 cable (just the cable, not an assembly). Ideally it should be 90% or greater braided screen.

We're having EMC issues with the cable we're using at the moment and having real difficulties finding any USB cables on the internet.

Thanks in advance! Anna

Reply to
anna

Start by making your own. First, use twisted pairs, and see if that is enough, THEN step up to shielded-twisted pairs, or even small coax runs.

You may find out that a couple or few sets of twisted pair bundles is all you need. Far cheaper than hunting up a cable that may or may not get you where you want to be.

If the rest of the world's std. USB cables, including my media encryptors can pass Tempest level emissions screenings, then you shouldn't have a hard time finding a cable that is better shielded than the standard, that will get you where you need to be.

The 90% number sounds like it came off the wall, and out of the mouth of a co-worker. I doubt you need that much shield, even at full data rate, which it will likely never see.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

Also, watch out where your connectors are if you are having noise problems. The ingress and egress is important because that is where all the abatement features of the cable go away. That is why the USB plug that goes into the PC (the std USB connector) is fully shrouded.

So you may find that a shielded (metal shrouded) connector, AND a case around the device are what you will need, and the noise is not the cable, but the ends and connectors and the circuitry.

Our USB port is no bigger than the opening required to allow the connector shroud to protrude through the case thickness, leaving the connector header flush with the case. It is an SMT PCB mounted connector.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

I've found that I really love cable with both a copper braid and an aluminum coated mylar shield with drain wire. I finally understand why I saw so many signal cables with aluminum foil wrapped around them in the physics labs. (they had the wrong cable.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Normally Belkin is not the answer, but I think their USB cables are pretty well shielded.

------ # Aluminum undermold shield helps meet FCC requirements on EMI/RFI interference # Foil and braid shield complies with fully rated cable specifications reducing EMI/RFI interference # Gold plated copper contacts provide maximum conductivity and minimizes data loss.

-----------

About $7 at Fry's. They lack ferrite chokes, but most cables don't come with ferrite anymore. Easy to add for maybe $1 each end and a bit of heat shrink to keep the ferrite in place.

I've noticed software controlled radios need well shielded USB cables.

Reply to
miso

That is retarded. The number of cables where they ARE incorporated by top brand manufacturers alone, has, in fact, increased, you stupid, make it up as you go twit.

Even easier to simply buy a pre manufactured cable if you need to ferrite slugs to be there. It would even be cheap to buy such a cable, and cut off whichever end one needs to add whichever connector they need to add to make it they way they want it, if their particular configuration is not available.

Not for a product that will be scrutinized by consumers, much less the QA dept of your customer.

I'll suspect that you would simply twist together wires and tape them up for your cars stereo as well, if you had enough brains to perform such an installation, that is. And no, having the money to have it done changes nothing, idiot.

No shit. That isn't the reason they are there though.

Reply to
FatBytestard