Help with understanding schematics

I am trying to set up a digital input trigger for a D-Link DCS-2230 IP camera and am not sure how to interpret the DI/DO schematics on page 58 of the following PDF manual:

According to the schematics, the digital input (DI) is to be applied to pin 2 that has the note: "A switch from DI to DC 5 V, activated by setting NO, or NC."

The type of DI (whether NO or NC) is set by the cam's software, as shown on pg. 48 of the same manual.

Then on the bottom of pg. 58 there are two schematics for "Internal 5V Power" and "External 3-12 V Power."

Could somebody just cut through the fog here and tell me what two pins I need to connect to an external relay and whether that relay needs to do just a close or open (based on the cam's NO/NC setting) or whether that relays should actually apply some low voltage to the pins of the cam? This schematics is a bit over my head, I'm afraid. Thanks.

Reply to
cameo

just connect the relay from internal 5V to DI, nothing else needed

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Looks like your input is between pins 2 (DI) and 3(5VDC). The camera itself supplies the 5VDC power (says the manual - I didn't use this camera). So, your trigger device (reed switch for example) breaks the circuit and the input goes low, that's how the camera knows it's tripped.

Things in security are usually NC (normally closed) for in case when the evildoer du-jour rips the cable off and the trigger cannot close it anymore but the destruction of the cable creates an open (naturally) by itself and so the alarm gets tripped anyhow. Hopefully this is not a battery-powered setup because NC circuits tend to draw some power (though it can be very small).

Good luck!

Reply to
DA

Thanks. Actually, my trigger will be an X-10 actuator module that provides a normally open trigger. What caused the biggest confusion for me was the bottom right "External 3-12 V Power" schematics that seems to duplicate the one on bottom left for "Internal 5V Power." The DCS-2230 camera does come with its own power supply, so I don't get what that external power schematics is there for. Could it be for the DCS-2210 model that is essentially identical to DCS-2230 except it is wired-only, using PoE. This manual is for both models though the differences are usually pointed out in the manual. In this case there is no word about that.

Reply to
cameo