help with displacement current, distributed capacitance

As the capacitance is distributed, local capacitive current flow has to include the winding copper that supplies the local 'node'. It also has to be provided by the control switch or source, affecting the impedance match or source losses.

RL

Reply to
legg

.
,

s,

ed

d capacitance. High Q just means low resistive losses in the coil. Inductiv e current flows through the copper. Capacitative current flow through the i nsulation, which may or may not be lossy - it usually isn't.

Perhaps, but since the capacitance is distributed, the current charging the individual elements doesn't have to flow through much copper.

I once used LTSpice to split a winding into into a bunch of coupled element s, and the extended structure had exactly the same behaviour as the lumped version.

I'm damned if I can see how operating a coil close to it's self-resonant fr equency can do anything all that dramatic - unless you neglect to notice th at at the self-resonant frequency the impedance of the parallel capacitance is equal and opposite to the impedance of the inductive path, and cancels it.

All you have left to look at are the resistive losses, which are infinitely larger than the zero reactive impedance.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to