Help improving eff of a 24v -> 350v flyback converter

I have built a 24v input flyback converter. The output is adjustable from 45 to 350v. It works prettty well except that the effiency is only about 68% at 220vdc out & a 100mA load. Is 75%-80% efficiency a realisic goal for such a converter?

The temperature of the secondary winding of the transformer very quickly rises 35 deg C under the 100mA load. The transformer core doesn't seem to be the source temperature rise. The secondary heats up rapidly and then the core starts heating up. The transistor warms up only slightly. Does it sound like the transformer is the major cause for the power loss?

The output voltage has about 25-100mv of noise riding on it. I say

25-100mv because it varies as I put my hand close to the core or the feedback resistor and as I raise the board above the surface of the bench. There are 2 components to the noise , A spike at the switching frequency(75KHz) along with some ringing and a much lower frequency complex sinusoidal-ish wave. What level of noise should I expect to be able to achieve? I have an LC filter on the output after the sense resistor.

The transformer core is an unknown type of gapped E core. It was salvaged from a 6mHy 10A filter inductor that I was told was made for high powered speaker crossovers.The core 1.6" square, 0.25" thick and

0.5" high. The center posts are 0.5" dia with a .11" gap. I wound the primary first then wound the secondary over the top of the pri and it has 1:15 turns ratio (26T of #22 and 390T of #29). The DCR of the secondary is 6.4ohms. I can't find my notes now, but the pri inductance measured either 60 or 80uHy. I read one app note from International rectifier that said to always wind the pri first to minimize the length of wire in the primary winding and have seen other app notes that say to interleave the windings, I.E, wind half the sec then the pri then the other half the sec. I was wondering if it would buy me any efficiency to interleave the windings when I rewind the transformer? Also I want to wind the sec with double #29 instead of just a single piece of wire, but I don't think there is enough room to fit it in. I am also wondering what the effect on efficiency would be if I dropped a turn on the pri and reduced the turns ratio to 1:12 in order for the new sec winding to fit and cut back on the amount of copper in the new winding? TIA for any help or ideas on improving efficiency. I have posted a pdf schematic that includes a photo of the core in abse with the subject "350v flyback" if that would help any.

Mike

Sorry about the long winded post, but I wanted to provide as much info as I can.

Reply to
Mike

you need to think about the effect of rectifier drop to answer that question yourself. for output voltages >> Vdiode, it should be fairly easy to achieve much, much better efficiency than 68%, but for low output voltages its hard without sync. rectifiers.

yep.

that sounds like closed-loop oscillations. do you have voltage feedback before or after the LC filter? the LC adds a pair of poles to the transfer function, making the converter much more prone to oscillation. Look at the output of your error amplifier, if it has said LF oscillation on it, congratulations - you just built a practical example of satisfying nyquist's criterion.

say 70uH.

Ae = 0.25*pi*d^2 = 126mm^2

lg = 2.8mm (a big gap)

L = 26^2*Uo*Ae/lg = 40uH so that sounds about right.

your 390T is likely the problem, due to skin and proximity effect. skin depth in Cu at 75kHz is about 0.24mm.

29AWG is 11.26mil OD = 0.29mm diameter. I cant quite make sense of your core dimensions (the 1.6" square got me) but your bobbin width will be on the order of say 29mm. so you can fit perhaps 100T on a single layer, so you must have at least 4 layers, perhaps as many as 8 layers for the secondary.

Assuming 6 layers, what you are seeing is an AC resistance much higher than you expect, due to proximity effect. convert the round wire to equivalent square wire gives a wire height of about 0.253mm, so phi =

0.253mm/0.24mm = 1 (ish).

for 6 layers, this would give you an Fr ( = Rac/Rdc) of about 5, so the AC resistance is about 5x the DC resistance.

for 10 layers, Fr = 12 (ish).

if you split the secondary into 2 halves, and bung the primary in between them, you halve the effective number of layers (there is a line of symmetry running thru the centre of the primary).

at 3 effective layers (6/2), Fr drops to 2, so 60% reduction in Rac and hence Pcu; 5 eff. layers gives Fr = 3.5, about 3.5x less Rac and hence Pcu.

the next step would be to use even thinner wire. if you tell me the no. of layers, I'll tell you what wire to use.

alas, blah-blah-crap.

thats the important part.

HELL YES.

its not DC resistance you are having problems with. Try getting your xfmr, and bunging an equivalent amount of DC current thru it (eg DC psu), watch it get nowhere near as hot. that'll prove its an AC phenomenon.

less turns is usually better, unless you have a real core loss problem, which will get worse :(

can u email it to me? I cant see abse.

jolly good, I thought.

you may also be having problems with copper loss caused by fringing flux from the air gap hitting your winding - much like prox. effect. the easiest thing to do is re-design the xfmr to minimise prox. effect, then see how well it works.

do you need such a large gap? measure the saturation current of the primary, if its much greater than the peak current you run at, reduce the gap (Lmag increases, so you can then reduce the turns).

I re-designed a xfmr last year that had Isat = 3.5A in an 0.5A peak-current-mode-controlled flyback. I shrunk the gap a lot (Isat =

1A), threw out nearly half the turns, greatly reduced fringing flux and leakage inductance, and doubled Pout at the same time. the 50W version ran slightly cooler than the original 25W xfmr, and cost less too :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

.....Clip a ton of great stuff! Terry, I can keep you busy if you ever come to the US. Regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

I'll be trying to digest all that for awhile. It sounds like I really don't have very good core for this application. The gap is too large requiring too many turns in the secondary and some major fringing effects. I have a fairly large pot core, but it didn't have a gap at all. The pot core is 1.4" OD and the center posts are 0.62" dia. The bobbin has 0.5" height for a layer of wire and can accomadate a winding depth of about 0.2". The only markings on the core are FX2242 and 8328K I managed to grind one of the center posts using a dremel mounted on a drill press stand. It's hard to measure, but it looks like the gap is about 0.01". Before grinding it I wound 5T of #22 on it and measured

125uH. After grinding it, I wound 10T of #20 and it measured 78uH. If it doesn't saturate, 10T:130T would be lot less copper than my original 390T sec.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

ye gods, DIY ferrite grinding - you are keen.

I once tried to gap a toroid, and destroyed a wide variety of cutting implements. surprised the hell out of the guy from trade tools when I brought the diamond- and tungsten-carbide-tipped hacksaw blades back with all the teeth gone.

looking at the schematic, there are a couple of other points:

1) input filter:

an input filter can make a smps oscillate. a smps is a constant power device - as Vin increases, Iin DECREASES. so it looks like a negative resistance, |R| = Pin/Vin^2.

bung a negative resistor acros the C of an LC LPF, and voila - oscillator!

you could read middlebrooks seminal paper, or just do this:

- ensure the impedance looking up the filter (2200uF C5 then 100uH L2, with C13 pretty much shorted by the "ideal" power supply) is less than |R|. for a low power supply this is usually automatic, as |R| is very high. for higher power supplies, check. spice is your friend here. get a decent model of L (include R and use its SRF to caluclate a shunt C), and also the cap (inc. ESR). pop these in parallel, excite with 1A current source frequency sweep. plot voltage, its actually impedance.

you will pretty soon see that filter resonance can be a real pain.

100uH, 2200uF has Fo = 340Hz, Zo = 0.213R so the cap ESR probably damps the filter (its a HUGE cap), but maybe not - ESR could be as low as 0.02R. in which case use a pair of 2200uF's in parallel, with an added 0.213R resistor, as an R-C damper to be applied across C5. or pick a C5 with enough ESR to do the job. Actually, Cdamp = 3Cout, Rdamp = Zo is best - see unitrode app note on snubber design, or just take my proof by blatant assertion :)

the general ROT is to use lots of C and bugger all L, that helps decrease Zo (making the filter more likely to damp itself with ESR), and greatly reduces the filter impedance seen by the smps.

2) output filter:

again, beware resonances. in this case Zo = 10.8R, Fo = 491Hz. betcha that rings like an SOB :(

3) R1, C13 (the other C13) - thats an LPF, Fo = 946Hz. congratulations, you just added a 2nd pole to your single-pole smps transfer function, thereby making it possible to build an oscillator.

Oh, just looked at the LM3578 datasheet. error amp? I dont see no stinking error amp.... C11 couples a ramp into the comparator input, which your voltage feedback signal gets compared against. yuck. but the comments re. R1,C13 still apply.

A UC3842, a UC3842, my kingdom for a UC3842 :)

measure the LF ringing - if its about 300Hz, then its an input filter oscillation - short L2 and it will go away. if its about 500Hz then its just the output LC filter oscillating all by itself - short L1 and it will go away. If its about 1kHz, its a closed-loop oscillation caused by C13 (the other one). remove the 330p and again, it will go away.

I see what you are attmpting with C13, just use a smaller cap (and/or split R1) to keep the frequency well above your closed-loop frequency.

33pF would be a good start, 10pF even better.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

[snip]

I used to just put in a few layers of high-grade paper until I got what I wanted.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

yep. hard to do with a toroid though ;)

I have a small planar flyback sitting on soak test at the moment, that is gapped with a piece cut from an anti-static bag - which just happens to be 75um thick, and I needed a 150um gap.... it hasnt melted, which is a good thing.

I must say I was quite surprised when a single swipe with a diamond hacksaw blade ripped the teeth off, and barely scratched the ferrite.

That sent me in search of people who gap ferrites, and I found a company in Christchurch (By-Ray products, products done by Ray) who did a great job, quickly and cheaply.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Probably "sand" blasting.

I bought a small pencil blast cabinet last year for my wife's crazy Girl Scout craft projects.

Amazing what you can do with SiC "sand".

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Hi Jim,

Shot glasses with your favourite insignia?

speaking of which, I had a night out on the fine whiskeys last week. absolutely fabulous, live music (rock & roll, perhaps a dozen singers, and fifty or so rock & roll dancers), and 30m from the hotel. Laphroiag is still my favourite tipple though :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Of course ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Hello Terry,

I use a tile saw. The cheap $88 Home Depot edition but with a top notch blade. The blade is a "Mad Dog" MK225 (seriously, that's its name). Then a bit heavy on the water and it cuts like butter. The challenge is to hold it in a way that minimizes vibration, to avoid chipping the corner that goes through last. Hasn't caused any visible wear on the blade. All you hear while cutting is a whooshing sound, no grinding. NEVER hold the core with your hand, got to make a custom holder.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Thanks Joerg, I never thought of that. blindingly obvious really....what with tiles being ceramics and all. doh.

Haere Mai Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Naa, It was actually very easy. Much easier than winding the bobbin.

It's gone now, Only 2-220uf caps in parallel on the input, but it made no difference in the output noise or efficiency.

I shorted across the output filter inductor. All that did was double the noise at the switching frequency. Hard to tell what it did to the low frequency noise since it got buried in the other noise.

Ok, ok, I fixed the part numbering. :)

WOW! You have your very own kingdom!

It looks like it's at about 1KHz.

I swapped the 330pf with a 10pf and again no difference.

I have had some success. I used the pot core with it's new found gap and wound half the 130T sec with 7/37 Litz wire(maybe 7/36) then wound the 10T pri with #22 solid magnet wire, then finished off the sec. With no other changes from the original circuit the eff jumped to

76%(from 68%) and the low freq output noise dropped to around 20mV and is much closer to sine wave. I donno, but this may be because I grounded the transformer core. The noise at the switching frequency dropped to around 60mv. The core temperature increased by 18deg C after an hour of operation. At this point I tried the things above, but no further improvments. All testing was done at 200v out and a 2.2k load, or about half the power I wanted to get from it. I then adjusted the output voltage up to 220v with the same 2.2k load. The input current was 1.18A, but after just a couple minutes the current had increased to 1.32A and the longer it ran the faster the current increased. The core temperature seemed to follow the input current. Core starting to saturate?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Oops, that should be 2-2200uf caps on the input.

Reply to
Mike

OK, then its not oscillating.

if it only doubled the Fsw noise, its a pretty crappy filter. with a

500Hz cutoff and a 75kHz Fsw (call it 50kHz) you should have about 80dB of reduction - IOW a lot. that you dont suggests:

1) very low self-resonant frequency of coil.

with 3.5mH, 1.2nF will give an SRF of 75kHz.... depending how its wound this wont be hard to do.

2) piss-poor output cap - lots of ESR, ESL (about 30nH is usually a good guess).

I downloaded the KMX spec, its 3 Ohms ESR at 100kHz. ouch. with a DCM flyback if you know the duty cycle and DC output current, trig gives you the secondary currents. 220V, 2.2k = 100mA DC. assuming 50% duty cycle, the avg sec. current during (1-D) = Idc/(1-D) = 200mA, its a triangle so peak current = 2*Iavg = 400mA peak. that'll give you 1.2Vpp ripple for a single cap....

with so much ESR, you will get a significant benefit from paralleling a big fat film cap - I happen to have a whole bunch of 3u3 400V MKPs, I'd use one of them :) do an impedance plot of your KMF cap, it'll look like

3 Ohms for a fairly wide frequency range (ignoring ESR increasing with decreasing F :), so a 1uF cap will have a lower Z for F > 50kHz or so.

yep. All I need now is Serfs.

that makes it a closed-loop oscillation. that chip is kinda bodgy really, no proper error amp.

:( worth a try.

60mV is pretty damn good. improved efficiency mostly due to reduced Fr (interleaving + litz). grounding the core certainly helps, as there is capacitive coupling to the core from (to) both windings. you may also find electrostatic screens helpful - a wide foil turn (not shorted), with a wire in the centre to 0V. one between wdg & core, one between windings.

do a splat test. charge up a big cap. then short it across the inductor and measure the current (I have 10 1/4W 1R resistors I use as a current sense resistor). if Ecap >> Eind, then the cap voltage wont change much, so use V = LdI/dt, knowing V, dI and dt (digital scope very handy here) to calculate L. you should get a straight line (constant L) until the L saturates, at which point the slope will increase quite a bit (such that L becomes the air-cored value).

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

It's wound on a 1/2" torroid core and I just measured SFR to be

190KHz. Maybe I should remove some turns to push the SFR up.

Arrgh, I looked at the wrong column and thought the impedance was

180mOhm at 100Khz, but that's the ripple current rating. I shoulda know better. I'll have dig around and see if I can find something better. I do have a boatload of 3uf MKP caps, but they are only 250v. I may try one of those for testing at 220v or use 2 in series.

I found a tube of 3842s, but I'm not quite ready to scrap what I have and start over just yet.

I'm not sure there is enough room for 3 shields and the 130T secondary. What's the effect of the shield between windings?

I used an 1800uf cap charged to 5.45v and a Dale/Vishay LVR3 low inductance 0.05ohm resistor and it worked like a champ! I got a nice linear ramp up to 315mV in 144us (about 6.3A and 125uH) then the waveform changed to a sinewave. It sure doesn't look like it should be saturating, but what else could cause the input current to rise out of control like that?

Oh yeah, the MUR4100 shorted out, and that's a 4A 1000v "Ultra Fast" diode.

I looked at the voltage across the .086ohm current sense resistor and could barely make out a ramp. It's mostly ringing starting at transistor turn on lasting most(maybe 3/4) of the on time, and the ringing freq is at about 1.8MHz. Nasty looking stuff!!

It looks like I have a long way to go get full power out of this thing.

Thanks again, lots more good info. Who knows, I may just end up learning something yet.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

that cap has 0.5*1800uf*(5.45V)^2 = 26.7mJ

the inductor, at 6.3A, 125uH, has 0.5*125uH*(6.3A)^2 = 2.48mJ

thats a reasonably chunk of 26.7mJ, so the cap voltage isnt really constant, and the L,C are going to start to resonate at about 335Hz.

Also, the current wont want to get bigger than Vdc/Zo = 5.45V/0.26R = 20.7A

crank up the cap voltage a bit more - 30V would be lovely. Then Eind

your current sense resistor needs to be low inductance, as does the associated the wiring. ditto for gate drive - low L is required.

its usually pretty easy to get the controller doing something so I leave that bit til last.

I do a lot of work sans controller, just using a pulse generator to drive my gatedrivers/switches. That way I can measure things like Isat, Lmag in situ (I just tack on a whopping great cap), ensure turns ratios and dotting is correct, measure thermal resistance, prove gatedrives working OK, etc. before attempting to run it as a power supply.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Oh yeah, I see, Duh! The cap just ran out too soon. Increasing the cap voltage to 30v made quite a difference. The math came out to 74uH and

9A Isat. The slope changes at 9A and goes almost straight up till the cap runs out. 74uH is much closer to the 78uH I measured with my inductance meter.

Good idea, That's what I'm going to do.

It'll have to wait though. Squirrels have invaded my attic again and I have to try and deal with that first.

Last year those darn things chewed 2 holes through the roof and took up residence in the attic. I put a motion detector in the attic that set off a big-ole alarm bell and strobe light. They quit coming around, so I got the roof fixed. This year they tore out one of slats in one of the attic vents and chewed a hole in one of the soffits. Grrr!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Better saw off some of those overhanging tree limbs.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

yeah, that sounds pretty good. for gapped ferrite, saturation really sticks out. with iron powder though, its much more gradual, and defining "saturation" becomes quite arbitrary.

with a large (typ. > 0.1mm )airgap, L ~ UoN^2Ae/gap, Ae in m^2, gap in m, so you can cross-check your results that way too.

And here I was thinking squirrels were cute. I've spent today fixing 3 leaks in the water trough piping (grr, alkathene piping is shit, and grr grr, the idiot who buried the pipe less than the recommended 12" ought to be horse-whipped - a push-in electric fence stanchion punctured one hose)

and I had to fix the letterbox, which got blown down, and a window, which got a stick thru it. we had 100 - 150km/hr winds yesterday.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given