Help identifying this component

I am trying to repair a combination electronic transformer/dimmer. It converts mains in to 12V at about 80W to supply a floor lamp with halogen lamps, it has an integral dimmer. The two suspect components could be transistors, they are TO220 packages and have printed on them the letters ST inside a sort or angled square with the numbers 9622. Under this is the word Malaysia and under this is RELCO5. Anyone know where I can find info on these or if you recognise them what equivalent I could use. Thanks.

Reply to
Mortimer

From the manufacturer of the lamp/supply. That is apparently a house number for that manufacturer. 9622 is the date code (middle of 1996)

Reply to
Gary J. Tait

One German source:

claims it's a house-numbered BUL59.

Looks plausible, but I have no way of guessing how accurate that might be.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nope. Survival German only (at least the Germans *try* to understand my fractured words, unlike the French who are quick to give up). My wife is fairly fluent in both- she studied them through university and has worked in Germany and Quebec fairly extensively. I just stuck it in googlefish. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hi Spehro,

The last poster on there mentioned an obsolescence list that seems to suggest the BUL59 as the closest replacement.

Do you speak German? That is great, there aren't many folks out here who do.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Spehro,

Half the time I tried web translators like that I received back something unintelligible. In France, if you want to learn it, the best places I found were more rural areas. In Normandie and Bretagne they tried really hard to decipher what we were trying to mumble. The said they really liked it if someone made the effort at all.

But these Western languages are all pretty easy. When I read that your son is learning Chinese, now that ought to be really tough for a non-Asian.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Why bother when a replacement is so cheap ? Unless you want to learn of course.

ST = SGS Thomsom semiconductors.

9622 = wk 22 of 1996

That's where the mosfets were made.

Don't bother repairing - you don't know the failure mode. Buy a replacement.

FYI I have something similar on my desk I ripped apart to have a look at low voltage lighting techniques. Nice Litz wire on the output winding !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear
< snip >

I learnt French from the age of 8 to 16. The earlier you start learning a language the better. I got a damn good exam result at the end too !

Having said that I, hadn't *spoken* it much until I met some 'Frenchies' who were visiting the UK ( students ) whom I got to know quite well.

It was only years later that - when with a Swiss g/f - her friends said I spoke with a Provencale accent - entirely picked up from the Frenchies I'd met years back.

Her German friends also took me for Swiss - No surprise there - lol. Schweiss Deutch is a little less guttural than the real thing. I'd picked that up from my g/f.

So - I picked up 2 regional accents without ever even going there !

Oh - and - yes - the French really like it if you speak their language to them

- even if you're a bit iffy. I reckon they appreciate the effort instead of an arrogant assumption they'll understand English. It makes the world of difference. French is a nice language to speak anyway !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Graham,

Eight is about the cut-off from where on you'll always keep an accent no matter what. Kids who move to another country before that typically converse without an accent.

That happens a lot. I didn't grow up speaking English but honed it later in business. So, there is a bit of Scotland in there, then Canada etc. My teachers were from Kentucky and Louisiana which has put a little spice into it as well. Oh, and one year we had an Australian. With Dutch it is similar, it's very rocky by now but still sounds somewhat Belgian because I lived a mile from that border and was a member of a Belgian sports club.

I remember a US soldier who spoke perfect German. Actually it was pure Bavarian.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Help identifying this component', on Tue, 8 Feb 2005:

How long ago was this? He wasn't You Know Who in disguise, by any chance? (;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Hello John,

Sorry but I don't know who. Arnold? He's Austrian. Big difference. Anyway, it was at least 25 years ago.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

When I worked in Berlin, we would have conference calls in German with our Swiss factory, near Basel. They sounded like they were speaking German with a Swedish accent to me, kind of sing-song.

We had a Swiss guy in the facility in Hesse that spoke so fast in both German and English that he often times got mixed up while translating where he would start speaking German to the Amis and English to the locals. The IT manager was from near Freiburg. He had a really nasal Freutsch accent when he spoke English (more French than Deutsch and barely understandable).

Reply to
Emanual Kann