Help identifying a component

Hello all,

On my microwave oven there is a rotary encoder with an hollow shaft that is used as input for durations. Lately, this encoder has started "skipping" steps and sometime sends backwards information. I'd like to replace it but I'm having a hard time finding the exact reference via Farnell or Digi-Key for instance. Can anyone help me? Some pictures are visible at

Body dimensions in millimeters are 14.3 x 16.9 x 8.5 The shaft itself has an exterior diameter of 9.3mm and a total height 20.9mm

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Reply to
OBones

So fix it. Dirty/oxidised contacts or bad joints.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, I already tried to blow "dry air" inside any opening I could find, but that did not seem to help for more than a few turns.

Reply to
OBones

OBones wrote in news:540381d7$0$2135$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

The solder joint #3 is definitely defective.

--
Bob Q.
PA is y I've altered my address.

No, it wouldnt. Find the touching metal bits & scrape the face clean with a knife blade - but don't scrape pcb tracks. If its optical of course it'll need another approach.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A pencil eraser is less damaging, and often works well enough. You probably want to spray it with contact lubricant when you're done.

And keep your expectations low.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

That offset shaft sux... maybe you could graft one in with a centered shaft. Beware that the logic is not standardized and you may have to swap A and B to get it to work. I almost bought 1,000 pieces from a supplier that were wrong- I taked it onto test board and it worked great, but it was tacked on the bottom and didn't check until the last minute that it was reversed. I could have swapped it in firmware but it would have been a bit of a disaster.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

** It wouldn't.

Try a spray lube like WD40 in any crevice you can find and then turn the control like mad.

Works like a charm, ignore any nay sayers.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A friend of mine did that with an expensive piece of gear and it melted the plastic shafts enough that the controls froze.

--

Rick
Reply to

** While countless thousands have used WD40 and similar spray lubricants like CRC2-26 etc to successfully free up stuck control shafts, both metal and plastic.

I warned the OP to ignore fools like you and sincerely hope he does.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison: On Monday, September 1, 2014 1:12:13 PM UTC+10, rickman wrote: Phil Allison: OBones:

d,

control like mad.

like CRC2-26 etc to successfully free up stuck control shafts, both metal a nd plastic.

WD40 is almost 100% white spirit, it is not a lubricant to a significant ex tent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, including copper ox ides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks some plasti cs, and its use is thus a risk.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Whereas a knife blade is 100% effective & resurfaces damaged metal, and I've never know it fail - except perhaps in those rare cases where when you open the switch the metalwork has disintegrated.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ind,

he control like mad.

s like CRC2-26 etc to successfully free up stuck control shafts, both metal and plastic.

extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, including copper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks some plas tics, and its use is thus a risk.

** You are 100% completely wrong as usual.
  1. WD40 *IS* a spray lubricant using mineral oil with enough volatile solv ent to make it penetrate very well. The solvent soon evaporates leaving onl y thin oil behind.
  2. The physical action of one contact moving over another acts to remove no n conducting surface contaminates softened by the solvent - that is how WD4
0 cleans & fixes pots and switches so fast.
  1. No common plastics are attacked by WD40, not even polystyrene.
  2. All negative postings about WD40 and similar spray lubes are fiction and bullshit passing from one gullible fool to the next.

I now warn the OP to ignore YOU as well.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
Which plastics, specifically, does WD-40 attack?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, including copper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks some pla stics, and its use is thus a risk.

** WD 40 contains "naptha" - a mix of volatile hydrocarbons that I believe attack some plastics - but only if if given enough time.

However, that is ONLY of significance when finding a suitable container to store the fluid. It is of ZERO relevance to using a squirt of WD40 to clean a small part sin ce the volatile componenst evaporate in no more than a day or so and leave behind only harmless mineral oil - protecting plated metal surfaces from e ffects borne by the atmosphere.

FYI:

If you ask a bullshit artist a question - you WILL get bullshit for an ans wer.

So why bother?

It only muddies the water.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

could find,

rn the control like mad.

it melted

cants like CRC2-26 etc to successfully free up stuck control shafts, both m etal and plastic.

does.

ificant extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, including copper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks s ome plastics, and its use is thus a risk.

lvent to make it penetrate very well. The solvent soon evaporates leaving o nly thin oil behind.

Its apx 99% white spirit, 1% mineral oil. Not enough oil to be an effective lubricant.

non conducting surface contaminates softened by the solvent - that is how W D40 cleans & fixes pots and switches so fast.

sometimes that's good enough, sometimes not

nd bullshit passing from one gullible fool to the next.

There's no lack of reported instances of WD40 attacking incompatible materi als. The OP can take the gamble if they want. But to claim white spirit is compatible with all materials in use despite the evidence is just dense.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

cant extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, including co pper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks some plastics, and its use is thus a risk.

To quote the manufacturer: Rubber - OK with most rubbers on light surface spraying, some rubber w ill swell with prolonged exposure or immersion. Plastic - Mostly OK, but polycarbonate and polystyrene may stress craze or crack in contact with WD40.

e attack some plastics - but only if if given enough time.

Its not what they told us.

bs snipped

NT

Reply to
meow2222

:

I could find,

turn the control like mad.

d it melted

ricants like CRC2-26 etc to successfully free up stuck control shafts, both metal and plastic.

e does.

gnificant extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, includi ng copper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks some plastics, and its use is thus a risk.

solvent to make it penetrate very well. The solvent soon evaporates leaving only thin oil behind.

ve lubricant.

e non conducting surface contaminates softened by the solvent - that is how WD40 cleans & fixes pots and switches so fast.

and bullshit passing from one gullible fool to the next.

rials. The OP can take the gamble if they want. But to claim white spirit i s compatible with all materials in use despite the evidence is just dense.

** You are just making bullshit up - as per usual.

Cos bullshit is all a lying, poisonous fool like you ever has.

FOAD

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

ficant extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, including copper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit attacks so me plastics, and its use is thus a risk.

will swell with prolonged exposure or immersion.

ze or crack in contact with WD40.

** Ever tried it ?

I have and there is no such effect at all - even if you immerse the materi als s in WD40 for weeks on end.

eve attack some plastics - but only if if given enough time.

** Wot utter crapology.

FOAD you stupid, trolling wanker.

.... Phil .... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:

a significant extent. While it cleans some things off, some it doesn't, in cluding copper oxides, carbonates etc. It is no secret that white spirit at tacks some plastics, and its use is thus a risk.

bber will swell with prolonged exposure or immersion.

craze or crack in contact with WD40.

rials s in WD40 for weeks on end.

I quit using it after it damaged some balsa wood, so that's the only proble m I've had with it.

believe attack some plastics - but only if if given enough time.

The OP's free to google, or to ask the mfr themselves. And draw their own c onclusions.

NT

Reply to
meow2222