help for linear control of current

Hi everybody,

I would like to control the current inside the different coils. The current change slowly therefore I can model my coils as resistors. The resistances of my coils are comprised between 9-120 ohm. I would like to control the current in proportional way between 0-1A with a signal come from a data acquisition board (NI DaQ USB-6259). The data acquisition board can give me analogical signals (0-5 V) and digital signals. I would like also to switch the current direction.

Can you help me? Can you suggest some components and architecture?

Thank you very much,

Best Regards,

Gioia

Gioia

If the coil is 120ohms you'll need +/- 120V to get 1A. Say the supplies are 130VDC.

If the coil is 9 ohms, at 1A you'll have 121W+ dissipation in a linear driver at 1A.

Assuming from the NI stuff that this is more-or-less a one-off, and if this is acceptable, you could use a power op-amp and put the coil n the feedback to get constant current.. Apex has some that might work. but pay attention to the SOA curves- they're not especially cheap, and a failure might do nasty things to your coils if they are not fused.

Or build the equivalent out of discrete parts, but you'll be lucky not to have a learning opportunity and/or sound effect or two on the way.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

If it's really a one-off, and really slow, maybe a programmable lab / "system" power supply? Sounds like he may already be using labview.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

nt

me

ch

As Spehro points out an amp through 120 ohms is a lot of power.... 9 ohms is a bit more manageable. If you need precise control of the current then you don=92t want to use the coil R as sense resistor. (it changes as the coil warms up.) The =91classic=92 way is an opamp, pass element and sense resistor.

V supply |\ | Vin----|+\ |/ | >--rr---| +-|-/ |>

| |/ | | coil | | +--------------+ | R sense | GND

A relay could change the current direction... but you don=92t want to be switching things with the current on. Arcy sparkies and such.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[snip]

If the coils are "coils"... i.e. they have inductance, why wouldn't you use a switcher and avoid all the dissipation? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

If he wants to drive current in both directions then slapping one into the feedback loop of a power op-amp will work, but at the cost of needing

+/-120V supplies.

To get by with one 0-120V (well, 0-140V really, because the amplifiers from Apex have significant overhead voltage) you'd need two power amps, in an H-bridge configuration, with current sense feeding back and all that raz-matazz.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I think it would be better with the intended load on the top side, the collector. To protect the transistor, you use a zener from the C to grd rated at max the collector can handle. This way, you can use a variety of source voltages.

This is just my opinion.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie