Help! Building homemade photo lithium battery tester

Hello, and Happy New Year to everybody.

My battery tester uses a (too weak) 10mA load for its 6V test.

I'm guessing that a 2CR5 Photo Lithium battery should be tested at

150mA, under load.

Any electronics geniuses out there? What type/size resistor should I connect to the battery, while testing with my battery meter, to simulate a Canon SLR's load, and provide me with an estimation of the usability of my 2CR5 (and other 6V lithium) batteries? I also have a DMM.

Thanks for all advise and tips.

Reply to
smogkiller2004

I read in sci.electronics.design that snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote (in ) about 'Help! Building homemade photo lithium battery tester', on Sat, 1 Jan 2005:

To get 150 mA with 6 V, you need 6 V/0.15 A = 40 ohms. Power dissipated is 6 V x 150 mA = 0.9 W. If you are not going to keep the tester on the battery for more than a minute or so, a 39 ohm 1 W resistor is OK. 39 ohms is a standard value; 40 ohms isn't. It will get warm, but not too warm.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Also, depending on the battery used, I'm not sure 150mA is a good idea. Some Li-ion batteries have a maximum steady-state current below

100mA. If this is the case, the readings will be erronious. Perhaps this is why 10mA is used by default.
Reply to
Mark Jones