Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete - Page 4

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 09:43:50 -0700, John Larkin

Sound?  Like breaking glass?

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete

I was thinking about inner microdynamics, or crisp granularity, or
holographic sound staging, one of those technical audio terms.

I have a list somewhere.

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:58:27 -0700, John Larkin

Ah, "sound" as in the audiophoolery arena.

If you dig it out, I could use it.  ;-)

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dqdt9magblxk5g/audio.txt?dl=0

From actual audio reviews. Additions are welcome.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete

One does make sense, bass transient response. Some ported speakers were terrible on this point.

NT

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

  I absolutely loved my Acoustic Suspension, sealed cabinet, Scott
speakers from 1972.  Quite responsive across the range.  Had them
for decades.  The pair ended up as my center channel, before it was
all stolen.

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete

to clarify they had the amplitude of response at the port frequency, but the rate at which the resonance changed amplitude was excessively slow.

NT

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 20:07:19 -0700, John Larkin

It'll be put to good use.  Thanks!

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 19:29:35 -0400, Phil Hobbs

Getting low capacitive conduction and radiation from something
heatsunk to a conductive surface is both clumsy and expensive.

I wonder where the target market is? Curious mixture of old school
thinking and . . . In a low labor price market, it will be a hard
sell.

Why are simple AlO2 wafers still so $$$ ? Even sourced off-shore?

RL

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete

And necessary to make fast amps and pulse generators. Radiation
doesn't do much to cool a small part, and fast circuits need small
parts.

Making a small, 7 ns, 1KV, 4 MHz pulse generator is hardly old-school.
It is a serious thermal-capacitive challenge.

http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/T870DS.shtml

That one was *hard*, electrically and especially thermally.

They are cheap, but alumina conducts at about 25 w/mK. Alumium nitride
is maybe 5x better, close to common aluminum alloys.

The only reasonably affordable better insulator is BeO, and beryllium
is toxic.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Heatsink, just don't drop it on concrete
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:44:55 -0700, John Larkin

Philips used to offer a ~2in x 4in Alox plate laser-cut to accept a
to220 spring clip. It mounted to printed wiring using folded tinned
metal grips on the edges. MOQ ~ 1 gazillion.

RL

Site Timeline